HID low and high beam conversion review - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
HID low and high beam conversion review

Since having a BMW car with HID lights, every other vehicle without is lacking in quality lighting. I purchased a dual bulb HID conversion kit off Ebay for $67, total of just under 100$ Canadian delivered. I just put them in tonight and took the bike for a test ride. The install took about 1 hour, required the removal of the windshield and the two front body panels. It was fairly difficult to mount the smallish digital ballasts, but I managed. Had to cobble a couple of spacers together to hold the bulbs securely in place, but I have tons of sh*t in my garage, so not an issue finding something to work. This kit replaced both H7 bulbs with 2 new H7 style HID lights.

Starting the bike and aiming at the closed garage door showed that the lights are very bright, but a rather messy light pattern. No clean cut-off. Also like others on this forum have mentioned, the high beam HID does take a bit of time to warm up before it hits full brightness. I headed out to a dark country road and played with the beams and also the height adjustment. My conclusion: The low beam is bright, but does not throw a great pattern on the road. But it does illuminate the road better. I got off the bike and walked in front of it a few hundred metres and it did not seem too bad for oncoming drivers. The high beam takes a bit of time to come on, Barely notice the difference, but all of a sudden you realize that the sides of the road are brilliantly illuminated. I turned off the high beam and the low beam looks slightly pathetic after having both bulbs on. I think it was a good purchase, but I'll need to put it through some real life night riding. Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 04:44 AM

In short, you mean it throw lights everywhere but front, is that it?

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 04:45 AM

You do understand that the 'messy' beam pattern has nothing to do with the globe. I imagine that the brighter globe is just making the inconsistent pattern of the OEM lens easier to see....or...the 'spacers' you cobbled to make the new HD globes work have also placed the center-point of the globe out of alignment with the reflector.
These are precision lighting instruments and if you need to cobble anything to make the components seat properly you'd best get your money back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 09-06-2012 at 04:51 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvman50 View Post

Starting the bike and aiming at the closed garage door showed that the lights are very bright, but a rather messy light pattern. No clean cut-off. Also like others on this forum have mentioned, the high beam HID does take a bit of time to warm up before it hits full brightness. I headed out to a dark country road and played with the beams and also the height adjustment. My conclusion: The low beam is bright, but does not throw a great pattern on the road. But it does illuminate the road better. I got off the bike and walked in front of it a few hundred metres and it did not seem too bad for oncoming drivers. The high beam takes a bit of time to come on, Barely notice the difference, but all of a sudden you realize that the sides of the road are brilliantly illuminated. I turned off the high beam and the low beam looks slightly pathetic after having both bulbs on. I think it was a good purchase, but I'll need to put it through some real life night riding. Dave

I can confirm this 100%.
I gave up from adjusting it, though. My high beam shoots to the left, witch would be great if I was riding in the UK but not so great for oncoming traffic in the correct-side-of-the-road-world.

Last edited by Ivan V; 09-06-2012 at 07:10 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 07:28 AM

I bought my HIDs from here, and they came with the spacers, but this might help those that didn't.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/H7-Spacer

I only put HID in the low beam, but I felt it could be adjusted to give a good spread of light without bothering other motorists. I just bought a bi-xenon kit for the Ural, but haven't installed it yet. There is a lot of wiring there to fit in the headlight housing.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 08:22 AM

I run the low beam only. I do not ride much at night but i like the increase in daytime visibility. In the dark I still think it is better than stock.

2008 Red Versys 16k miles
*Givi Windscreen*SW-Motech Evo Rack*Seahorse 720 Cases*Seat Concepts Seat*HID Headlight

1975 Honda CB200T
1976 Volkswagen Bus
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

The spacers I cobbled together are outside of the housing to hold the bulb securely in place with the stock spring. Bulbs are firmly installed in the housing. Andrewhtf - As I said, the light pattern is a bit messy (not a well defined cutoff), but still illuminates the road up front better than stock and also illuminates the side more. The high beam issue (slow to come to full power) may not be much of an issue as I generally don't have to flash people. Where it would be great is in the back country where you can leave the high beam on for a bit. The extra side coverage is a definite plus - deer, bear, etc! Would love to find projector headlight lens that would fit. Maybe another reason to turn the bike into a Streetfighter with a better dual headlight system. By the way, I tested it without the windshield attached - quiet! No wonder there are so many threads on here about windshields!
Dave
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The reflector is for H7 halogen.
Halogen and xenon don't have the same focal point, so it's normal to shoot light all over...
I've have both and if you want to have nice light you have to go to projectors.

look at this thread:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=15364

I have it for about a year now, no problem, I'm very happy with the setup.

Versys 2015 Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode