3Likes
  • 1 Post By SteveJ
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
First valve shim check at 20,100 miles

I finally decided to tear the bike down and check my valve clearances as I haven't been getting that great MPGs over the last couple years. Keeping the revs 4500 or below I can get around 50 MPG, but in the 5-6K range it drops off significantly to around 40 so I wanted to see what I could do to make it a little better.
Upon initial measurement:
ALL 4 exhaust valves were @ .18; Quite a bit below minimums of .22
3 of the intake valves were @ .15 and one @.13; Right at and slightly below .15 minimums

Now my question is can I order the new shims now (is there a standard size shim the bike is made with that I can just calculate what size I need from the measurements?) OR do I remove the cams and measure the existing shims to be more accurate BEFORE ordering new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Valve Shim How To

Even though this is a 2015, there is also a MK-1 and MK-2 link in this thread, make sure you print out the PDF in post #3 at the bottom of the 2015 thread, make at least 2 copies, one is working and the other saved for future reference. Your question, as to shims, I have done it 2 times FastEdie at least 5 times, that is sand the shims to fit, follow the posts. FYI the buckets and shims are never exact. What I mean is a 0.15 shim may be spec in position #1 but tight in position #4 cylinder #2, because the bucket is different. Needless to say you should do 1 valve at a time. Lots of good instructions and photos. FYI while your at it follow the Vacuum hose extension modification, the correct size is stated in http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...-1-mk-2-a.html , you will probably find the vacuum is spot on once the shim is complete. The only real difference between MK-1 & MK-2 and MK-3 is the plastic removal and air box removal, plus the earlier bikes were easier to work on as no ABS pump / mechanism .

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...onewizard.html
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Here's a little toy to help with the math of it all:

https://www.crfsonly.com/calculators...-shim-calc.php

Iff'n you don't feel like sanding things down there are shim kits avalable for about $70-80. The one I bought had 47 sizes, three each. The brand name is Hot Cams. They come in .05 increments.

HTH.
onewizard likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Jeff - the FIRST time I did Versys valves was here in AZ. I measured everything, removed the shims (all kept SEPARATELY!), then ordered the new shims according to the info, but took my calipers w/ me to the shop when I picked up the new shims, then I measured THEM....

NONE of them were as marked, and I was SOME PI$$ED-OFF! Their mechanic looked at the shims, then invited me to go thru his 'used-shim' collection (from several bikes that use similar shims), so I got EXACTLY the shims I needed, and ever since then I have sanded-down any shims that were 'tight' (using oil on the garnet-cloth) after reading a post from "invader" where he said that is what he does, and I ALWAYS bring them to the HIGH end of the clearance range.

I've PROBABLY 'done' valves that way 7 to 9 times among the 3 Versys.

-
onewizard and Buffalo_Bob like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Math Check HELP! Please

So the exhaust valve clearance measurements were ALL the same @ .18mm and the shims were ALL @ 3.09mm So I'm going with a 2.975mm replacement shim to bring the gap to right around .30mm

The Intake valve clearance was @ .15mm X 2 and .13mm X 2 and the shims were @ 3.04mm X 2 and 3.05mm X 2 so will use 2 of the .2975's and 2 of the 3.00 to make all 4 right around .20mm.
I've double and triple checked my math but if anyone sees any discrepancy in my calculations PLEASE LMK before I order the shims!

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I posted up a link to an on line calculator above. Let the computer do the work.

Just change the desired gap to what you want. Easy peasy.

Edit to add: Here is another calculator iff'n you wanna measure gap in inches.

http://www.maultechatv.com/techguide...%20Calculator/

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?

Last edited by SteveJ; 02-02-2018 at 08:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode