Beware Puig Crash Bars for '14, blocked my shifting rod after stationary drop - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Beware Puig Crash Bars for '14, blocked my shifting rod after stationary drop

Don't know if others have had this issue, but I recently installed the Puig crash bars on my 2014 650, and when I dropped it on the left side, I found that I was having a really hard time down shifting. After an anxiety filled ride to the garage (got stuck in 3rd at one point), the mechanic found that the rear portion near the shifter rod (apologies for my ignorance about technical terminology) was bent inward and was blocking the shifter rod from allowing me to downshift. He was able to bend the crash bar out of the way and the problem was solved but this happened from just laying down the bike from a stationary position. It makes me very nervous about getting stuck someplace more isolated after a bigger fall unable to downshift. I'm not sure if others have had this issue, but it definitely makes me regret having gotten the Puig crash bars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
can you post up some photos? is good info to know thanks for sharing

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
FWIW - when I 'low-sided' at about 20 to 30 km/hr on the Dempster Hwy, just S of Inuvik (wearing SW-Motech crash bars), I was stuck in gear until I removed a pebble that was jamming my shift-lever.

However, the SW-Motech crash bars did NOT bend!

Here's what they looked like (that stuff hanging down is just electricians tape I'd put on to hide scratches previously).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yup. I store my bike downstate so I can ride in the winter, but I'll get some pictures up next time I ride. Good to know about the SW Motech. Should've gone German from the start! Hopefully, others can learn from my mistake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode