5Likes
  • 2 Post By brock29609
  • 1 Post By brock29609
  • 1 Post By brock29609
  • 1 Post By brock29609

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

There's a 25mm (1") lowering option

Haven't read any chatter about this anywhere here...

Did we know that there's a German company called Mizu that makes a 25mm (1") lowering kit for the 650?? (As opposed to the 1.5" kit from Moto Werk). They make versions that covers all 650 generations.

It's not cheap, sold on eBay for $205 (current exchange rate). I just received mine, and here are my comments so far...
  • I ordered on Sunday and it was in my hot little hands at 10AM Wed. Wow, that's fast Germany-to-USA shipping!
  • It's not frame-matching black. Mildly disappointed with that, but knew this from the photo in the listing.
  • Comes with a black curved piece that relocates remote adjuster.
  • The packaging is unnecessarily huge.
  • Comes with mounting instructions, which I hope include English. Only German is visible behind shrink wrap.

Edit: Turns out all 650 model years use the same lowering block. Only diff is the '15+ comes with a preload adjuster relocation bracket, which I can't figure out how to install. Hoping they reply with some guidance. No instructions in the packaging.

Last edited by brock29609; 01-29-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Measure Seat Height Before/ After

Do us a favour and get a accurate seat height before and after you add the link, as I very much doubt the height is different than the MotoWerk if you follow the instructions. It is physically impossible to re-position the rear shock as you need a minimum surface area/ length to make contact. I also can't see paying more for something I would say is inferior. If you only need a inch, that can be accomplished by setting sag on the bike, I have a 30 inch inseam, both my 07 and 2015 have been lowered by me. It is interesting to know of a alternate manufacturer so thanks for that!!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Looking at the product photos, I definitely see how this one lowers less than the Moto Werk one. It doesn't position the bottom shock mounting bolt as far back.

I have an aftermarket shock that raised my seat about 3/16", which I wasn't expecting and am not happy about. It was ordered to be stock length. This kit should put me 13/16" lower than stock, which suits me just fine. I don't want to go much lower than stock. I mostly just want to get rid of the amount I was raised.

And, I have no sag left to add. Preload is all the way out.
onewizard and quexpress like this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock29609 View Post
...And, I have no sag left to add. Preload is all the way out.
I think you'll need a 'lighter' spring, as having the CORRECT 'sag' is necessary to get proper handling, and it sounds like what you have will cause you to "pogo-stick".

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

I have a custom-made rear shock that has perfect sag for my riding weight. I can dial up the preload as needed for luggage or passenger.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Lowering kit went on without too much fuss. Assuming I put the preload adjuster relocation bracket on correctly (I did not. Read below), they failed to mention that you'll need to pick up extra 6mm stainless bolts and nyloc nuts.

To get the block in place, you'll have to raise the tail end up slightly to get the bolt to clear the frame, then lower back down some to get the shock into the block.

Just under the arrow in the pic below, you'll see the swing arm has a raised area around a screw hole. This prevented the block from sitting flush. Worried that it might cause a torquing stress on the block, I used a Dremel bit to sand the underside of the block at that corner so it could sit flat. It's aluminum so it filed down easily.

You won't be able to get a torque wrench on the bolt at the bottom of the shock, but I got it "gudentite" as the Germans say (the part is German).

Next I'll lower the front end and take a ride. If all goes well, I'll hack up the side stand to get the proper lean angle.

I used an app on my phone to measure both the stock front-to-back angle when upright and stock lean angle on the stand. I'll get it back to these angles before I'm done.

Last edited by brock29609; 01-29-2018 at 04:28 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

And here's a look at the relocated preload adjuster. The bracket has 4 holes in it and a bend. It moves the adjust a little more out to the right side, and points it at an angle that's about 90-degrees from front-to-back. The shock should clear it with no problems now.

quexpress likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

OK, it looks like the manufacturer has different ideas for the relocation bracket. Here's the photo they sent me. I don't think I can install mine this way because my aftermarket shock doesn't have enough slack in the hose.

Last edited by brock29609; 01-29-2018 at 04:29 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Took the lowered V out for a spin and can't find anything to complain about. The bike felt a little easier to maneuver due to the lower stance. I believe math says I now have reduced rear wheel travel, but my butt can't tell. The bike felt great. It's a keeper. Two thumbs up.

Now to chop up that side stand to get it to lean properly when parked. It's sitting very upright at the moment.

Also need to trim the tire hugger and get it on.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock29609 View Post
Looking at the product photos, I definitely see how this one lowers less than the Moto Werk one. It doesn't position the bottom shock mounting bolt as far back.

I have an aftermarket shock that raised my seat about 3/16", which I wasn't expecting and am not happy about. It was ordered to be stock length. This kit should put me 13/16" lower than stock, which suits me just fine. I don't want to go much lower than stock. I mostly just want to get rid of the amount I was raised.

And, I have no sag left to add. Preload is all the way out.
I had the same problem when I installed my Nitron shock which does have ride height adjustment.

Problem was with the ride height adjuster screwed in all the way the shock was still just a tad longer than the stocker. The screw was bottoming out and not allowing me to go any shorter.

The fix was to unscrew the ride height adjuster and grind a couple of mm of thread length off the end. Problem solved as the bike is now at stock height in the rear.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 05:21 PM

Garage
I'm curious about the lowering kit from T-Rex, for only $80 it seems like a good deal.

https://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?item=1428
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Lowers 2". That's a lot.

I'm more interested in their adjustable-length kick stand for $99, found *HERE*.

quexpress likes this.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 04:03 PM

Hey there, brock. In light of your taller aftermarket shock, would you agree with Mizu's claim that overall, a stock bike is lowered approx. 1"?

Even with a 32" inseam, I too am interested in dropping the height - but not necessarily as drastic as 2" with the Moto Werk component.

Thank you.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlight View Post
Hey there, brock. In light of your taller aftermarket shock, would you agree with Mizu's claim that overall, a stock bike is lowered approx. 1"?
Yes.

I also have a 32" inseam and I found the 1" drop to be perfect. I also slid up the forks in the clamp to lower the front end some. I can't recall exactly how much (recently sold my Versys), but by my calculations 10mm in fork slide-up equals around 9mm of vertical drop (based on 25 degrees of rake).

I also shortened my kick stand so the bike would lean properly.
quexpress likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode