Stuck Throttle - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Post Stuck Throttle

I just returned from a 6500 km trip to Dawson City YT and Skagway AK. On my way back home I was have trouble twisting my throttle and it would not release or return on its own and I needed to twist my throttle back . Has anyone encountered this situation? I had a mechanic in Smithers B.C look at it,he opened the controls and noticed that the throttle cable was binding and it wasn't returning to its neutral position. He thought that the cable was stretched and could not adjust the barrel adjusters to to take up the slack. I was wondering if this is common and maybe covered under warranty?

Could one lube the cable with graphite so it could slide better within the casing or do I need to replace the whole cable unit.

I also noticed while washing up my 2011 Versys that I am missing a bolt that attaches the seat support above the footrest Part number 92200-0328 and 92153-1660 basically a washer and bolt socket. Is it common for this to unscrew on its on and fall out/
I look forward to your thoughts or comments on this.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 02:46 AM

No idea about the cable, but i would be willing to replace a new cable. And make sure to periodically lube it.

You're not the first to lose that pair of bolt and washer. A few cases were reported in my country too, but their bikes are already out of the warranty cover period.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 06:57 AM

Replace the cable is all you can do. Then lube them, clutch cable too monthly. You will be surprised how much easier they work, the clutch on mine felt like it was 5 pounds lighter pull and smooth as butter, on a 5 month old bike that's garage kept. I always keep a spare set of cables around as they're cheap BUT the dealer will NEVER have one when you need it. And a broken clutch cable will stop your ride NOW.

As for loose bolts and screws remember the Kawasaki KLR thing going here. Not a bike but what you need to do Keep Locktite Ready!

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 09-03-2012 at 07:03 AM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 08:04 AM

Is it adjusted properly? Too much slack or too tight , they don't pull back

AMA EAA STN
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

maddjack, it seemed that there was to much slack,and the pulley mechanism on the motor was not responding quickly and did not complete close againest the stops where it should. When the mechanic looked at it ,it looked pinched in the handlebar throttle mechanism.

When I looked at the cables where they attach to the pulley my question is do I need to replace both of them? Do I replace just the cable or the whole cable unit?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
maddjack, it seemed that there was to much slack,and the pulley mechanism on the motor was not responding quickly and did not complete close againest the stops where it should. When the mechanic looked at it ,it looked pinched in the handlebar throttle mechanism.

When I looked at the cables where they attach to the pulley my question is do I need to replace both of them? Do I replace just the cable or the whole cable unit?
I'd check the cables by removing them and seeing if there is any binding in the cable before I start throwing money at it. The cables are around $20.00 each and they may or may not be the problem.

If you pull them off the bike be sure to note how they are routed were which one hooks to and HOW it hooks up. The hook up at the throttle tube can be a bit tricky I have found. If the cable are binding you know to buy new ones if not run some light oil down inside them and work it in a little, I use 3 in 1 and about 10 drops does the trick.

Also check to be sure the thottle tube is not binding on the bar or the grip on the barend wieght.

I think you'd only need cables unless things have really gone sour. And I'd replace them as a set. But before you order check the thottle tube to be sure it's not chewed up where the cable hook into, if it is you'll need to replace it as well.

You can get the cables and other bits at Bike Bandit or the dealer.

Here's a Link to see what you need.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...4181#sch731782

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post

Always do as a set ( cables only) the rocker mech rarely goes bad, if ones worn the other is usually not wonderful either. Its penny wise but pound foolish. The pinch is from slack,trust me as a longtime rider do both if you go that route

AMA EAA STN

Last edited by maddjack; 09-03-2012 at 11:19 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Maddjack, I'll try lubing the cable tomorrow evening after I get home from work. I 'll order that bolt and washer from Kawasaki and that should take care of the seat issue for it supports my seat. I will also remember to carry Loctite with me from now on. Who would have known? If the lube doesn't work I'll order the new cable. Do you think they would be covered under warranty? For I did purchase extended warranty when I bought my bike in 2011.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
It should be warranty covered, if it's replaced by your Kawasaki dealer... Maybe your cables are fine and just need to be properly installed at the throttle grip. You need to know exactly what the problem is with your cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode