battery tender recommendation request - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question battery tender recommendation request

I have seen a few posts, several years old at this point, about battery tenders and was hoping to get some fresher opinions. My riding window will be winding down here in a few weeks so I need to start preparing. This is my first bike and first winter.

I see that Twisted Throttle is advertising 40% off the Oxford Maximiser 360t and it looks like it has a lot of nice features. Does anyone recommend this one?

Best I can tell from older posts, I need to change the oil, plug in a tender and then forget it until spring.

Please let me know if that is a fair assessment of how most prep for the winter.

All advise appreciated.

'12 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 05:45 PM

Garage
I just fill up with premium and mix in some Stabil to the tank. Park it in the garage on my race stands and through on the cover to keep dust off of it.

I use this Battery Tender. Mainly that one because it came with the bike. But i like how small it is, so it can easily go with me on the bike incase I run the bike down. I liked it enough to buy another for my fathers bike.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I've have a couple of these. Work Great. http://www.amazon.com/Multi-12-Volt-Smart-Battery-Charger/dp/B000FQBWCY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerman View Post
I have seen a few posts, several years old at this point, about battery tenders and was hoping to get some fresher opinions. My riding window will be winding down here in a few weeks so I need to start preparing. This is my first bike and first winter.

Best I can tell from older posts, I need to change the oil, plug in a tender and then forget it until spring.

Please let me know if that is a fair assessment of how most prep for the winter.

All advise appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
I just fill up with premium and mix in some Stabil to the tank. Park it in the garage on my race stands and through on the cover to keep dust off of it....
The battery in my KLR dried up and died on a battery tender when left ON 24/7 over the winter. NOW I remove the batteries from car and bike, and put them onto battery tenders plugged through a 24 hour timer, set for 30 minutes/ 24 hour period, winter in BC, summer in AZ with the AZ batteries in the air-conditioned house in a plastic box in case of leaks. The batteries come out fine, and I do Stabil in a FULL tank, too.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 12:59 PM

I don't think you'll find a more heavily reviewed model than this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1346781532&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=battery+tender+jr
Plus it's pretty cheap!

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...tery+tender+jr

Plus it's pretty cheap!
Yep- Been using this one for some time now. No complaints at all and small enough to keep in my topcase. Long cord is handy too...

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the responses. Sounds like a mixed message regarding keep plugged in/don't keep plugged in. I suspect this might have a lot to do with the tender technology and whether or not it is functioning properly. Might be overkill but I went ahead and ordered the http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0128-Plus-Charger/dp/B00068XCQU as I may also use it for an old 4Runner we keep as a spare car which doesn't get much drive-time in the winter.

So my hit list is as follows:
--Fill up and add StaBil
--oil change
--Plug in battery tender.

I'm not very mechanical, so will not pretend to ask any advice that requires such capabilities. I suspect next Spring I'll bring it in to my local shop to have them check the chain and anything else that would make sense before starting a season of riding.

Again, appreciate all the thoughts. I've had an absolute blast this season, putting over 2K "fun" miles on it since getting the bike in mid-July. Really dreading having to hang up the keys for 7-8 months.

My wife, who encouraged me to "follow my dream" wants to get on the same "bike drug" that has me grinning ear-to-ear after every ride. She's planning on taking the MSF course next spring. She's too short for another Versys...and is really eyeballing the HD Sportster !

'12 Versys
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
A battery desulfator, or battery tender with desulfator function would be nice to have too.

http://www.tecmate.com/u_optimate_3plus.php#

http://www.powerequipmentdirect.com/...151/p3654.html

Last edited by invader; 09-05-2012 at 04:25 AM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 02:43 AM

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 07:17 AM

I got one of this with free shipping. Just arrived so no change to test it.

http://dx.com/p/solor-power-panel-au...-charger-71635

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 07:30 AM

Battery tender

During the winter I use about 10 battery tenders for all my stuff. The battery Tender Brand most post are showing are good but I have a habit of dropping it and the main head unit case cracks. I broke one yesterday. MY FAULT ! Now ... I am not saying it's cheap but I now purchase tenders that the charger is in-line on the cord.

Cb
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:

Plus it's pretty cheap!
Owner and big fan of this model. Cheap, effective, and relatively small...

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:

Plus it's pretty cheap!
Another fan, I have 2 and both are at least 4 years old, never a problem. Nice thing is I hook the battery lead up and it stays on the bikes tucked out of the way year round.

Well I did have one problem...when I moved I forgot what box they were in and being small I had to go through every box to find them!

On a side note you still need to service any wet-cell batteries you have and keep a eye on them over winter. My KLR will dry up from a charger so I have to add water once or twice every winter. Of course if I weren't so cheap I'd by a Gel-Cell...I think I will this year.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:

Plus it's pretty cheap!
I use a few of these, cheap and just plain works

I think regardless of what you use, most batteries that see four seasons annually are likely to be more or less shot at the 3 - 4 year point anyway
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flak View Post
I use a few of these, cheap and just plain works

I think regardless of what you use, most batteries that see four seasons annually are likely to be more or less shot at the 3 - 4 year point anyway
I'd agree with that with a flooded-cell battery. But an AGM battery that's not cycled will last longer, especially if it's plugged into the tender always when not in use. I park the bike, grab the cable and plug it in and that's how it sits until the next time it's fired up.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
I'd agree with that with a flooded-cell battery. But an AGM battery that's not cycled will last longer, especially if it's plugged into the tender always when not in use. I park the bike, grab the cable and plug it in and that's how it sits until the next time it's fired up.
I agree. All three of our bikes are treated just that way. I've been using the Battery Minder Plus for all three and am very pleased with both battery condition and life. The Battery Minder is more costly than the Battery Tender but is worth it IMHO.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 10:38 AM

Being a firm believer in "if it is not broken, do not fix it" I have never used a battery charger/tender. During the winter, like now, I simply remove the battery from my 09, and take it inside the house, even though the bike sits in the garage.

4 weeks ago, I wanted to go riding, so I took the battery and dropped it in the bike, tightened the screws and it fired right up. Damage to batteries occurs during extremes of hot and/or cold. So, since my batteries sit at an average temp of 66-72 degrees F in the winter, they do just fine.

To facilitate removing and replacing the battery in my bike, I have a small strong string around the battery. I simply unscrew the POS and NEG terminals, push the wires to the side, grab the string and lift straight up. Piece of cake and takes about 1 minute. Inserting the battery I simply push the wires aside, and lower it in place, then screw the cables on.

FWIW - to avoid damaging the battery, when I install it, I always screw the POS terminal First. When removing the battery, I always unscrew the POS terminal last. This avoids having current flow when I doing the POS terminal so no danger of "arcing" and damaging anything.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofer View Post
Being a firm believer in "if it is not broken, do not fix it" I have never used a battery charger/tender. During the winter, like now, I simply remove the battery from my 09, and take it inside the house, even though the bike sits in the garage.

4 weeks ago, I wanted to go riding, so I took the battery and dropped it in the bike, tightened the screws and it fired right up. Damage to batteries occurs during extremes of hot and/or cold. So, since my batteries sit at an average temp of 66-72 degrees F in the winter, they do just fine.

To facilitate removing and replacing the battery in my bike, I have a small strong string around the battery. I simply unscrew the POS and NEG terminals, push the wires to the side, grab the string and lift straight up. Piece of cake and takes about 1 minute. Inserting the battery I simply push the wires aside, and lower it in place, then screw the cables on.

FWIW - to avoid damaging the battery, when I install it, I always screw the POS terminal First. When removing the battery, I always unscrew the POS terminal last. This avoids having current flow when I doing the POS terminal so no danger of "arcing" and damaging anything.
So, do you take your car battery in at night, too?

Personally, I don't have a problem spending twenty bucks on a multi thousand dollar motorcycle in order to extend the life of its battery and be able to conveniently get on and ride away without having to reassemble it every time I want to ride it.

Just because you CAN do something doesn't necessarily mean you SHOULD.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 07:36 PM

It is better to maintain than to neglect... Lead-acid batteries discharge faster if they're warmer, and they sulfate faster when discharged. They also freeze more easily once discharged.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
So, do you take your car battery in at night, too?
No, never have because the cars get used almost daily, year round. The bike on the other hand will spend months in the garage, so the battery goes inside in the winter. You should see the fancy wool blanket that covers the bike in the winter !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode