Tourance rear-need long lasting std. size front - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tourance rear-need long lasting std. size front

I'm going to put a Metzeler Tourance rear tire on my V shortly, but am still trying to decide which front tire to use. I'm going to stay with the standard size, so that obviously means choosing something other than a Tourance.

My primary consideration is longevity. I know, from using Tourances for years on my old R1150GS, roughly what mileage I can expect from them. The front Tourance on my GS would always have more tread life left when the rear was ready to be changed, but I always changed both at the same time anyway. So, I only need a front that will last as long as a rear Tourance. Riding will be 95% paved roads.

As a frame of reference, I usually got between 8,000 and 9,000 miles out of a set of Tourances on my GS. I'm a fairly "sporty" rider, but find the Tourances provide more than adequate grip and excellent tread life. A couple of tires I'm considering are the Avon Distanzia and Storm 2 Ultra.

I'm sure there are more than a few here, who have done what I'm proposing. I'd appreciate any feedback you may have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 Versys
'06 DR650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 10:02 AM

I really like the Distanzia on the front. I'm about to try that in combo with the Tourance rear, too.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versystole View Post
I really like the Distanzia on the front. I'm about to try that in combo with the Tourance rear, too.
What kind of mileage are you getting(or you think you'll get) out of the Distanzia front? Have you been pairing it with a Distanzia rear up till now? I'm leaning towards the Distanzia, but would just like some anecdotal evidence it will last long enough for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 Versys
'06 DR650

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glazwegian View Post
I'm going to put a Metzeler Tourance rear tire on my V shortly, but am still trying to decide which front tire to use. I'm going to stay with the standard size, so that obviously means choosing something other than a Tourance.

My primary consideration is longevity. I know, from using Tourances for years on my old R1150GS, roughly what mileage I can expect from them. The front Tourance on my GS would always have more tread life left when the rear was ready to be changed, but I always changed both at the same time anyway. So, I only need a front that will last as long as a rear Tourance. Riding will be 95% paved roads.

As a frame of reference, I usually got between 8,000 and 9,000 miles out of a set of Tourances on my GS. I'm a fairly "sporty" rider, but find the Tourances provide more than adequate grip and excellent tread life. A couple of tires I'm considering are the Avon Distanzia and Storm 2 Ultra.

I'm sure there are more than a few here, who have done what I'm proposing. I'd appreciate any feedback you may have.
A poster who's "left the building", Gary down in South America, claimed to have more than 36,000 miles on his front Tourance 130/80, FWIW.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 02:27 PM

I'm going to predict about 8k for the Distanzia front. I went through a Pirelli Trail on the back, and I'm putting a used Tourance with about 60% tread life in its place.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Fasteddie, I'm aware of putting the Tourance 130 rear on the front, but I won't go up a size........especially on the front. Thanks, anyway.

Versystole, thanks for the reply. I guess my concern with the Distanzia is, I've heard it's a softer compound in the size needed for the V, because the 120/70-17 is really intended for supermotos.

The reason longevity is so important is because I'll be riding the bike from Ohio to North Carolina(near the coast) and using it there during the winter and early spring. About 1,500 miles will be accrued on the trip down and back. I figure I'll put on between 5 and 6,000 during my stay.

The other factor is, I change my own tires, but won't have the equipment to do so in NC. I won't consider taking it to a dealer, unless it's an absolute emergency. I've had too many bad experiences with dealers, so now do all my own servicing.

'11 Versys
'06 DR650
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Avon Distanzia 120/70 SM front does wear relatively quickly with much cupping into rear of tread blocks... Continental Trail Attack would be a great choice.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch

(W speed rating is actually 168 mph)

http://www.conti-online.com/generato...attack_en.html

Last edited by invader; 09-03-2012 at 09:52 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Avon Distanzia 120/70 SM front does wear relatively quickly with much cupping into rear of tread blocks... Continental Trail Attack would be a great choice.

(W speed rating is actually 168 mph)

http://www.conti-online.com/generato...attack_en.html
Thanks for the links Invader. I've used the Conti Road Attacks on another bike previously. I loved the ride and grip they provided, but they were toast in under 4,000 miles. I understand the Trail Attacks are different, but because of my prior experience and the price($171.99 for a front tire!!!) I think I'll be going in another direction. I don't think I can justify paying for a W speed rated tire on the V.

'11 Versys
'06 DR650
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have the Conti TrailAttack 150/70 rear which I got when they were still low cost, with a 120/70 Distanzia. At 7000 miles on my TrailAttack rear, it's barely half worn.

I wouldn't worry about that speed rating. I was just noting it because they mistakingly rate it at 106 mph in motosuperstore link... Most 120/70 are at least W speed rated, but you don't want a street oriented front tire with your rear Tourance. So how about Pirelli Scorpion Trail?

120/70 R 17 M/C 58V TL
120/70 ZR 17 M/C 58W TL

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/mo...ion_trail.html
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 11:29 PM

I have the Pirelli Scorpion Trail for the front. Excellent grip in the dry and wet, confidence inspiring at the corners. I read a user who had it at 18000km and still counting.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 11:11 AM

Watching this with interest, let us know what you go with and how you like it....

2006 Ninja 650R - his
2000 ZR-7 - hers
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 09:44 PM

Distanzias

Quote:
Originally Posted by glazwegian View Post
Fasteddie, I'm aware of putting the Tourance 130 rear on the front, but I won't go up a size........especially on the front. Thanks, anyway.

Versystole, thanks for the reply. I guess my concern with the Distanzia is, I've heard it's a softer compound in the size needed for the V, because the 120/70-17 is really intended for supermotos.

The reason longevity is so important is because I'll be riding the bike from Ohio to North Carolina(near the coast) and using it there during the winter and early spring. About 1,500 miles will be accrued on the trip down and back. I figure I'll put on between 5 and 6,000 during my stay.

The other factor is, I change my own tires, but won't have the equipment to do so in NC. I won't consider taking it to a dealer, unless it's an absolute emergency. I've had too many bad experiences with dealers, so now do all my own servicing.
Glazwegian - I recently mounted Distanzias in the 150 rear, and 120 front (Sm compound) on my green '09. Last weekend I rode from my house in Boulder, CO to Jackson, WY and back, about half on the Continental Divide Route. The whole trip was 1440 miles. I did have to save some time and hit I-80 and 191 in Wyoming and was doing around 80 mph basically the whole time that I was on pavement. To make a long story short - There is perceptible wear on the rear tire, but not the front (and the rear isn't that bad, just a tiny bit of squaring off due to the many miles of high-speed asphalt).

Hope that helps!!!

2009 Versys
SW Motech Engine Gaurds, SW Motech Alu Rack, KTM handgaurds, Custom iPhone mount with Powerlet and heated grip switch
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the replies. Time is getting short to make a decision, because I plan on leaving for NC Oct. 5th. I will stay in NC for a couple/three weeks, then rent a car to return to Ohio. A couple of months later, my wife, our dog and myself will return to NC for the winter.....where my V will be waiting.

I've looked hard at both the Scorpion Trail and the Conti Trail Attack. The Trail Attack has a wear resistant center tread(very important to me); the Scorpion Trail does not. This leaves me having to pay "big bucks" for the Trail Attack, or go with the Avon Storm 2 Ultra(a full on street oriented tire), which I'd hoped to avoid doing.

Invader, the W rating doesn't bother me in the least, just that I have to pay for that rating, and I'll never need it.

I'll be sure to post here when I've made my decision(probably in the next few days).

'11 Versys
'06 DR650
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

I've purchased and received new tires for my V, and will mount them on their respective rims in a couple of days.

I decided on Avon Storm 2 Ultra's for both the front and rear wheels. I didn't go with a Tourance on the rear because of my ongoing experience with the OEM tires. I've now got almost 3,500 miles on them and it looks like I might be able to accumulate 6,000, or more, if I were to keep using them. This is amazing to me, as I've never gotten more than about 4,000 miles on a set of OEM tires previously, regardless of model of bike. Primarily, I think this is because the V is lighter, has a lower hp rating and less torque, than any bike I've owned in many years. Just another reason to love the V.....especially with the high cost of tires today.

I had a good experience with the previous version of the Storm 2 Ultra, so that weighed heavily when making my final choice. Hopefully, it's a good one. If not, I'll just have to curtail my riding while in NC.....not a pleasant prospect.

'11 Versys
'06 DR650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode