Amsoil Experience - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Amsoil Experience

For my bike's 3rd oil change (First 2 dino oil) I finally got the chance to do it myself (live in the city, so it's hard to find anywhere to work on the bike). I decided to go with Amsoil 10w40. NOT cheap, but why skimp on something so important to the motor? So far I've been very pleased with the results. Unexpectedly I noticed a difference in the 'tone' of the motor. Hard to explain but perhaps it sounds a bit growlier? It also seems to feel less strained, if that makes any sense, over 6000rpm. Overall the bike feels better. Considering that the oil is a pretty major component in the bike I wasn't too shocked, but I guess I didn't think it would be that noticeable. I'm hoping for improved fuel economy, and will report back when the numbers are in. Also- that splash of hot oil on your wrist when you remove the drain nut with your hand is AWESOME

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 05:20 PM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:24 PM.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat12 View Post
...Also- that splash of hot oil on your wrist when you remove the drain nut with your hand is AWESOME
Pick up some latex gloves at Harbor-Freight (and REMEMBER to put them on...!) for when you change your oil.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 06:40 PM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:23 PM.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 08:06 PM

Alright, maybe I'm the dumbass here, but after switching to synthetic oil in my bike and both of my cars, there was a difference in the way the machines sounded. Not to mention a slight (percieved) difference in clutch response. I was kinda wondering the same thing as the OP, just assumed it was the oil and never questioned it much. I'm sure that baby oil will make my engine sound different, but that doesn't really answer the burning question... What's the synthetic doing to my ride and is it a good or bad thing???

'89 yz 80
'96 cr 80
'99 kx 125
'09 Versys
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 08:52 PM

x

post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Kumbaya, dear goat12 ... Thanks for your interesting perceived observations, and for sharing your experience with us.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Kumbaya, dear goat12 ... Thanks for your interesting perceived observations, and for sharing your experience with us.

+1

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 11:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It has occurred to me that some of my perceptions and observations have come under fire not because someone was trying to make me look dumb (a totally useless task, I've demonstrated that fact many times); but rather because the commenter was trying to build up there own perception of their selves.

So I say what I want & don't much care about the criticism from the gallery

Never attribute to malice when ignorance will suffice
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 11:54 PM

Words of wisdom, Black Dog.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 12:04 AM
MTS

Yea! Dudes I think you are on the right track! I want to keep that same thought process!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 12:56 AM

+1 black dog.

Hell, I always feel like my truck runs better after a bath too. I like that.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 06:17 AM

Not saying Amsoil is a bad product but I guess I'm just skeptical of any claims that it is measurably better than any other synthetic oil with the same API and JASO-MA ratings that is on the market. From what I've read all the synthetic oil manufactures, including Amsoil, use the same base oils and the only real difference between brands is they all have their own recipe of additives. About the only difference between Amsoil and other similar products as far as I can tell is they use a multi level marketing scheme like Amway.

Anyone remember oil additives like Slick 50? They used to make claims about making your engine last longer and get better mileage until they got taken to court and could not prove it.

Last edited by Sprocket; 09-01-2012 at 11:48 AM.
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 08:14 AM

So refreshing to see the holier than thou, have to make completely not needed comments to make someone feel stupid so they can boost their own ego forum Nazis are very much alive and well here to.

Glad you are happy with the switch to Amsoil man.

Sent from my Xoom
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdpleog View Post
Alright, maybe I'm the dumbass here, but after switching to synthetic oil in my bike and both of my cars, there was a difference in the way the machines sounded. Not to mention a slight (percieved) difference in clutch response. I was kinda wondering the same thing as the OP, just assumed it was the oil and never questioned it much. I'm sure that baby oil will make my engine sound different, but that doesn't really answer the burning question... What's the synthetic doing to my ride and is it a good or bad thing???
Way-y-y back in the mid-'80s I researched Amsoil by reading all the test literature I could get hold of. They mentioned a test (called the "Oldsmobile 350 test" I believe) where an engine would be filled with clean (whatever brand) oil, then run at high load for quite a long time. According to them, ALL 'dino' oils increased viscosity to the point that the oils would NOT pour at the finish, EXCEPT Amsoil synthetic (which had only increased its viscosity around 8%), so they left the oil in and ran the test again, Amsoil being the ONLY oil to be run twice at that time.

I started using Amsoil in my '62 Corvette (340hp 327) and '86 VW Jetta on which I kept a log. After going synthetic I saw a verifiable increase in fuel economy of aprox. 4.5%, and then when I changed the tranny (manual) to synth I got a further 2.5% increase.

Since then I have run EVERY vehicle I've owned on synth, tho' now I use Mobil1 car oil in cars and bikes. Bikes have included a Bandit 1200S and a Yamaha SR500 on 10w-30 (energy conserving!), and a KLR650 and TWO Versys on 20w-50, as well as my gas lawn-mower.

Works for me.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 04:49 PM

x

post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 01:52 PM

Garage
Some intelligent reading on oils

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html
http://www.ducatimeccanica.com/oil.html

Last edited by twowheels; 09-02-2012 at 05:52 PM.
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 01:02 PM

I've always read good things about Amsoil. I just put motorcycle Mobil 1 in my 2008. It does seem to shift slightly better. Is that because it's new oil? Because it carries the JASO rating that the Castrol Syntec did not? Because it's Mobil 1? Because it's Mobil 1 formulated for motorcycles? I have no idea. The Castrol Syntec full synth was pretty good too. My guess is that engine new oil after 5K miles seems slightly better.
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR Versys View Post
I've always read good things about Amsoil. I just put motorcycle Mobil 1 in my 2008. It does seem to shift slightly better. Is that because it's new oil? Because it carries the JASO rating that the Castrol Syntec did not? Because it's Mobil 1? Because it's Mobil 1 formulated for motorcycles? I have no idea. The Castrol Syntec full synth was pretty good too. My guess is that engine new oil after 5K miles seems slightly better.
JASO MA is a test for clutch slip and oils certified to it is suitable for bikes with wet sump system.

Your observation on different oils is what make 'oils just ain't oils'. Some say put in good oil, change it on time, and you are good. Some are more sensitive and can feel the difference. The latter usually takes part in oil survey threads positively while the former thinks it's a waste of time discussing oils. For me, I appreciate your observational report as it helps me to be more knowledgeable. Just a question, is the SAE grade the same for both Mobil 1 an Syntec (i.e 10W40)?

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode