Exhaust Header Broken? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Exhaust Header Broken?

A little over a week ago I developed an exhaust leak. It appeared the exhaust header had broken completely and perfectly just in front of the muffler pipe. Last night I finally got the last nut off the header. It looked like someone had sawed it off. When I looked at the parts diagram there is an exhaust gasket, or flange, that goes between the header and muffler pipe. There a flange inside the muffler but I couldn't get it out, at least not with my hand. It does not appear my header can reach into the muffler and I assume the piece inside the muffler is part of the broken header. Is it possible for it not to be broken and the gasket connects the header to the exhaust? This does not seem likely since there is only one clamp. Can someone describe how the gasket fits between the muffler and exhaust header? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 11:19 AM

From what you've described, it sounds like the header pipe is indeed broken. This problem has been reported quite a bit on the UK forum, not so much here in NA. Maybe because the europeans often ride their bikes year-round, thus see more road salt? The gasket fits inside the muffler and the header pipe enters the front of the muffler about 1 1/2", so if it's broken in front of the muffler you have to get a new header or else try a welding repair (some guys in UK have been successful with that).
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 11:26 AM

I had mine break also right at the flange stop where the muffler bolts to. Mine was only a few weeks old and the dealer replaced it under warr. said they are starting to see it more often. On a better note, if you can't find anyone to put it back together, I'm looking for one that is broken just like yours for a project I'm working on. (Just keep me in mind).

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEJCPA View Post
A little over a week ago I developed an exhaust leak. It appeared the exhaust header had broken completely and perfectly just in front of the muffler pipe. Last night I finally got the last nut off the header. It looked like someone had sawed it off. When I looked at the parts diagram there is an exhaust gasket, or flange, that goes between the header and muffler pipe. There a flange inside the muffler but I couldn't get it out, at least not with my hand. It does not appear my header can reach into the muffler and I assume the piece inside the muffler is part of the broken header. Is it possible for it not to be broken and the gasket connects the header to the exhaust? This does not seem likely since there is only one clamp. Can someone describe how the gasket fits between the muffler and exhaust header? Thanks for any help.
The gasket (or flange or whatever it's properly called) is a bear to remove. Probably because the heat sort of "welds" the gasket to the inside of the muffler inlet pipe.

When I relpaced the Two Brothers exhaust (that came on the bike I bought) with the stock muffler, I had a devil of a time removing the gasket. It comes out in pieces, and even then it wasn't easy - slow and tedious. You'll need to order a new gasket/flange when you put things back together. When you do, take note of the fact that the gasket isn't symmetrical. One end of the gasket is tapered. Unfortunately, I don't have the maintenance manual with me so I can't tell you for certain which end goes which way. As I remember, the tapered end faces the header pipe.

If the header pipe did break off (was sawed off) at the header/muffler pipe junction, there should be a section of metal pipe still inside the muffler inlet pipe in addition to the "pain-to-get-out" gasket. The header pipe does slip into the muffler inlet pipe about the length of the gasket that's such a bear to remove. The gasket makes the seal between the two sections of pipe. And, yes, one clamp holds it all together.

I can't imagine sawing the header pipe, unless at one time the bike had an after market muffler that required the header "saw-off" modification so things would fit properly, but I'm just speculating. Hope that isn't the case - a new header system will set you back more than a few $$$.

Hopefully some of this will help.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Exhaust

I didn't mean it was actually sawed, it's just that it broke so clean, it appears to have been sawed off. Thanks so much for the information. I will probably replace the whole thing with used parts or go with the Arrow full system. If I understand correctly, the inlet pipe for the muffler has both the gasket and the end of the header. The header should have part of the gasket inside it. I suspect the gasket is an attempt to prevent this problem.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I didn't mean it was actually sawed, it's just that it broke so clean, it appears to have been sawed off. Thanks so much for the information. I will probably replace the whole thing with used parts or go with the Arrow full system. If I understand correctly, the inlet pipe for the muffler has both the gasket and the end of the header. The header should have part of the gasket inside it. I suspect the gasket is an attempt to prevent this problem.
Yes, the gasket goes inside the muffler inlet pipe and then the header slips into the inlet pipe with gasket which seals the two pieces from leaks.

I forgot that I have the Versys maintenance manual on a disc I have with me (happens a lot at my age) so I've attached the two pages that deal with the exhaust system. Hope they're readable and will be of some help.

By the way, on the second page the authors made a Freudian slip. Where it talks about installing the muffler body gasket it should read the chamfer side faces, not feces, the exhaust pipe (that is, the back end of the header pipes). Don't you love translations?

At least it's not a literal translation from Italian! Owned a Moto Guzzi once and spent most of my time either being frustrated or laughing so hard I never did understand the owner's manual.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the instructions and all information. I do not believe my pipe had the gasket C. If it did, it fell out. I bought it used, so don't know what might have been done. It certainly may have had an aftermarket exhaust and the original installed for the sale.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 03:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the instructions and all information. I do not believe my pipe had the gasket C. If it did, it fell out. I bought it used, so don't know what might have been done. It certainly may have had an aftermarket exhaust and the original installed for the sale.
C is actualy part B. Just the facing direction is highlighted here. Read under pipe installation.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Exhaust

Yes, I see that now; then my exhaust did not have the "gasket B." I believe that caused it to break. Does anyone know if the early models were missing the gasket? It's strange that it's not on the bike, unless the above about previous owner is true. I have 22,000 mi. on my '08 V.

Anyway, I ordered the full Arrow exhaust. Thanks to everyone for the information. I want the bike ready for a ride in the Smokies in late October or early November.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode