• 1 Post By Buffalo_Bob
  • 1 Post By 2linby
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Are Lowering Links Safe and Why?

I've been thinking about doing the Motowerk lowering kit like everyone else. I'm guessing they are safe or you would all have crashed by now Just wondering if there is any safety reason not to.

I lowered my seat myself by carving out some foam already but still can't flat foot both feet (I'm 5'11" but must have short legs). Would like the extra confidence at stops.

And part 2 of question: Do you still love your lowered V?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Safe? Sure, in moderation and matched a bit in the front to retain close to standard geometry. "Relearn" the bike before you put it back into "normal" riding duty if you ride on the sporty side. To me, rear lowered bikes turn like worn out trucks since you are rarely able to get the forks back to a proper angle..Then there's the lost ground clearance!... So, not for me but to each their own!

Also, some will tell me the ZX6r wheel and 180 tire I recently put in will ruin my bikes handling.....You know, like the way they ruin the handling of every frontline 600 in the 20 years.
StormRider likes this.

Brad, Suwanee Ga.
'09 V650, several others too!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormRider View Post
I've been thinking about doing the Motowerk lowering kit like everyone else. I'm guessing they are safe or you would all have crashed by now Just wondering if there is any safety reason not to.

I lowered my seat myself by carving out some foam already but still can't flat foot both feet (I'm 5'11" but must have short legs). Would like the extra confidence at stops.

And part 2 of question: Do you still love your lowered V?
Have you set your "sag" yet?

I'm a bit less than 5'10" (31" inseam), and when I get on my (HIGH) Versys, then sit down - the suspension 'settles' and I can MOSTLY "flat-foot" it. Mine is NOT lowered.
StormRider likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 12:22 PM

Garage
I have the MotoWerk lowering link and have not noticed any negative impacts. Though I may be willing to part with it, I kind of miss the tall feeling.
StormRider likes this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Have you set your "sag" yet?
Yeah, I think so. Just at 1 click on the rear preload so I think it's as soft as it gets. Maybe it will get softer with time.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indelibility View Post
Though I may be willing to part with it, I kind of miss the tall feeling.
I'll have to wait until spring to buy anything. My wife will kill me if I spend any more on this bike.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 05:21 PM

You lose a little cornering clearance, but otherwise its not a big deal if the front and rear are both lowered exactly the same.
StormRider likes this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Flat footing is not required, but it is only desired! Are lowering links safe, sure if they are designed right! Most are designed right, just stay away from shady products, sellers or manufactures. If you have any doubt, look away.

I prefer mine lowered, footing is irrelevant to me.
StormRider likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I had the loweing link put on my Versys before I brought her home...I also had the front lowered accordingly at the same time...if there is some negative effect I haven't noticed it...neither have any friends that have ridden it...they all think it's a hoot to ride and handles quite well...I have 29 1/2" inseam with the link and thick soled boots my feet are flat footed...I also rock a Sargents lowered seat..but can flat foot the OEM seat...
StormRider likes this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 07:40 AM

I have a 2015. here's the option I used

https://www.motorcyclelowering.co.uk...s-650-lowering

Honestly I really like it. The rear acts much more like the front now, it's softer in the first bit of compression and follows the road better, IMO. Steve
StormRider likes this.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool. Thanks everyone! I think I will do it.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Sunny Fl View Post
I have a 2015. here's the option I used

https://www.motorcyclelowering.co.uk...s-650-lowering

Honestly I really like it. The rear acts much more like the front now, it's softer in the first bit of compression and follows the road better, IMO. Steve
That's really cool. I didn't know you can just replace the spring.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 10:38 AM

I used Speedy's lowering kit and lowered both front and rear. Even though at 6' I can flat foot my 2016V LT, lowering the bike gives me more stability at stops, allows my wife to get on with a crane. It's also easier for me to swing my stiff 70 year old legs over the LT's hard bags. I also feel and like the lower center of gravity. I feel little if any change to ride quality. Speedy did a great job with his kit!

As far as the handling goes, it feels exactly the same to me.
StormRider likes this.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indelibility View Post
I have the MotoWerk lowering link and have not noticed any negative impacts. Though I may be willing to part with it, I kind of miss the tall feeling.
Years ago I had a KLR650 (which was SUPER high to me at THAT time), so I lowered it. Then when I was riding "whoop-de-do's" my bike would bottom the frame after the first or second whoop, so I went back to stock height. Even tho' the Versys is 'high' for me, I've never considered lowering it (inseam about 31").

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
...It's also easier for me to swing my stiff 70 year old legs over the LT's hard bags....
Bob - I don't "swing my leg" over the bags to get on: I either mount from approaching the bike w/ my right leg straight out (similar to doing 'hurdles') till it goes OVER the seat, hopping on my left till in position (on the KLR web-site this was referred to as the "KLR shuffle"); or by standing on the RIGHT peg putting my LEFT leg over.

I can't even imagine swinging my boot over my saddle-bags....

onewizard and StormRider like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 12-13-2017 at 11:19 AM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Years ago I had a KLR650 (which was SUPER high to me at THAT time), so I lowered it. Then when I was riding "whoop-de-do's" my bike would bottom the frame after the first or second whoop, so I went back to stock height. Even tho' the Versys is 'high' for me, I've never considered lowering it (inseam about 31").

Bob - I don't "swing my leg" over the bags to get on: I either mount from approaching the bike w/ my right leg straight out (similar to doing 'hurdles') till it goes OVER the seat, hopping on my left till in position (on the KLR web-site this was referred to as the "KLR shuffle"); or by standing on the RIGHT peg putting my LEFT leg over.

I can't even imagine swinging my boot over my saddle-bags....

Perhaps "swinging my leg" over the bike paints the wrong picture. My preferred way is to grab my right pant cuff with my right hand as bring my leg over from the low side. I've also been known to do the KLR shuffle if I don't have an audience to make fun of me

Maybe you could make a educational video of the KLR shuffle to share with the newer riders!
StormRider likes this.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 09:00 PM

I have the motoworks lowering links as well. They help ease the pain in my old knees by giving me a little more of a leg drop. No issues scraping pegs as I know how to ride..... !
StormRider likes this.

COG# 5539
IBA# 15034
Team Oregon MC Instructor
"2linby" Get it? "Tooling by"

"Everything is simple, nothing is easy".
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
Perhaps "swinging my leg" over the bike paints the wrong picture. My preferred way is to grab my right pant cuff with my right hand as bring my leg over from the low side. I've also been known to do the KLR shuffle if I don't have an audience to make fun of me

Maybe you could make a educational video of the KLR shuffle to share with the newer riders!
First - I don't give a rats-a$$ how funny some folks figure my "mounting-method" is, and I don't know how to add a video....
onewizard and Buffalo_Bob like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode