• 1 Post By Rebel13
  • 1 Post By Rebel13
  • 1 Post By steve1503

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Be aware!

Sadly, but not surprising, my seat riser broke.
I went out to remove the battery, with snow in the forecast, I found that the 3D printed riser cracked and in pieces.
If you have one you may want to check it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3d riser broken.jpg (38.3 KB, 177 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1503 View Post
Sadly, but not surprising, my seat riser broke.
I went out to remove the battery, with snow in the forecast, I found that the 3D printed riser cracked and in pieces.
If you have one you may want to check it.
Sorry to hear that, Steve. Suggest you replace it w/ a piece of scrap steel and about 12 = 1/4" washers. That's lasted for about 145,000 miles on MY Versys'.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg "bridge".jpg (42.9 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 111DSC00060 copy.JPG (464.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 111seat rise2 copy.jpg (51.0 KB, 44 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Obviously it is made out of a material not built for the stress of the riders weight in action, I'm not suprised about that, the manufactures failed design. Most of you are not supporting the seat completely to begin with while doing this mod. I'm suprised you guys are not deforming/weakening the seat tangs, maybe you are but don't know it?
onewizard likes this.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 12:08 AM

I did a mod on my stock seat. I removed the cover and dished out the foam where my butt sits.

In addition to being more comfortable, this mod pretty much eliminated the slide forward issue.

Hey that would be a twofer...2 fer the price of 1.

Actually total cost was zero.
onewizard likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel13 View Post
Obviously it is made out of a material not built for the stress of the riders weight in action, I'm not suprised about that, the manufactures failed design. Most of you are not supporting the seat completely to begin with while doing this mod. I'm suprised you guys are not deforming/weakening the seat tangs, maybe you are but don't know it?
Over 145,000 miles on my Vs - NOTHING has broken from the mod I included pics of.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 05:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Over 145,000 miles on my Vs - NOTHING has broken from the mod I included pics of.
It's about applied forces, not mileage. The whole point of the mod is to shift the riders weight rerward of the seat, thus reducing weight on the front/modded area to start with. Keep in mind that even though your body is not putting as much weight on the front tang doing this, it is still getting constant force appied do to the pan curvatures resistance. Doing this mod will curve the set pan some in time. However, what I was talking about not supporting the seat properly is about the pan and the mod. Most to all of you (you included) secure in only one place, the primary tang. There are actually three forward mounting points, not one! The other two that most of you skip keeps the pan level to prevent twisting along with weight distribution. Using only one point, added weight and the twisting can weaken or break the primary tang.

How heavy one is and how one sits and uses the seat means everything. Using a weak plastic like the 3d printer has made was not adequate for the applied forces and failed as a result.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I was concerned about the strength of this mod when exposed to 10 degree weather since it puts a lot of pressure on a piece of plastic. I'll rely on fasteddiecopeman's mod for safety. Easy, simple, cheap, reliable, and strong. My kind of mod.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 07:46 PM

Iíve got the printed one, but I guess Iím safe regarding 10į temperatures here in California. Iíll keep a close eye on it though for sure.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 03:03 PM

Be aware that the plastic tongue on the front of the seat is not designed to be load bearing

On the following pictures I have marked up where the seat is supported on the front metal cross brace and what on the seat rests on it.

Whilst raising the seat in this way no one yet I believe has had a tab break, it still could

When I tried this mod it always felt that the seat was wobbling side to side on the twisties here in Scotland

Ended up remodeling the front of the seat / raising the nose from details gained from this website - DIY Motorcycle Seat

Richard

at
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 10:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerMan View Post
Be aware that the plastic tongue on the front of the seat is not designed to be load bearing

On the following pictures I have marked up where the seat is supported on the front metal cross brace and what on the seat rests on it.

Whilst raising the seat in this way no one yet I believe has had a tab break, it still could

When I tried this mod it always felt that the seat was wobbling side to side on the twisties here in Scotland

Ended up remodeling the front of the seat / raising the nose from details gained from this website - DIY Motorcycle Seat

Richard
Being I don't do pictures it would have been hard to explain what I did to raise the seat but with these excellent pictures here goes- on the plate under the tank(first picture) where the seat tabs touches- I drilled a hole and used a 6mm to line up with the tabs on the seat(second pictures- I used large flat head 6mm screws and small 2mm thick washers on the screws to adjust how high I wanted the seat and tried a different amount of washers on the added metal bar that the front seat tang now fits into and ended up with 10mm higher because at that height the seat just touches the tank- to keep the seat from wobbling on the frame I used 2mm flat sheet rubber a piece at a time(took two pieces each side) duck taped to the frame where the seat rests- no wobbling-hope this makes sense because it worked very well

Deep in Cajun Country
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 12:16 AM

Garage
Quote:

Richard
Bingo! This is exactly what I was talking about with three points of stability and weight distribution! Rest assure, I have the appropriate cheap mod with visuals for you! Simply use HDPE! Fairly light, very easily workable, very strong and weather resistant! Mine is 3/8" across the board. The amount you lift this way is actual and limited by your own specs.

Oh, and did I mention most of you are liftig the seat wrong to begin with? That large tang doesn't rest on the tank lip, but on the cross brace, thus the different measurements of cause and effect you face~
16VGTIDave likes this.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Bingo! This is exactly what I was talking about with three points of stability and weight distribution! Rest assure, I have the appropriate cheap mod with visuals for you! Simply use HDPE! Fairly light, very easily workable, very strong and weather resistant! Mine is 3/8" across the board. The amount you lift this way is actual and limited by your own specs.

Oh, and did I mention most of you are liftig the seat wrong to begin with? That large tang doesn't rest on the tank lip, but on the cross brace, thus the different measurements of cause and effect you face~
Nice back rest, and thanks for the input on the lift.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 09:12 AM

Rebel13,

What did you use to secure the HDP plate to the frame? Think I will stop by the dollar tree and pick up a cutting board for $1 they are pretty thin so I may need 3 or 4 layers, will be good practice on the scroll saw, havenít used it in a while.

JoH
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Now Youv'e Done IT

Quote:

OK we now need a full step by step HOW TO for that back rest, c/w photos. Once complete I will copy to the appropriate thread. As to your lift , that is 100% correct, I posted this some time ago, in fact your mod is almost identical to my initial mod http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/1348218-post9.html

However I didn't like this for 2 reasons, one was I had lowered the bike as I have a 30 inch inseam, second was it did nothing to correct the curvature of the foam, so that mod remained for 2 days and was then removed. I redid my seat foam and it is a huge improvement. I would be interested in how you made that back rest, more importantly how it is attached and supported.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 10:25 AM

Garage
The HDPE is secured with 3M double sided tape, real simple. It is secured, the seat also keeps it still. As you can see, my bike is lowered and there is no chance of ride up anyway before or after the mod, but I wanted it to keep me planted reward in the seat. Now the Ninja 650, major ride up, but I haven't done anything for it as of yet. Not sure if I ever will, after 10 years of use, I'm use to it.
onewizard likes this.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Quote:

Richard
Thanks - some THOUGHTFUL modding here!

I did my first seat in '08, as a huge number of Versys riders were doing it - I just "tagged-along" - and it has worked so well that I kept doing it, sharing it w/ others here on the Forum as a GOOD, CHEAP mod to make the seat LESS restrictive. Thus far, NONE of my seats have 'failed' - two Gen 1s; one Gen 3, altho' I CAN see the value of this extra mod!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 05:16 PM

Has anyone reached out to our member Rockstar who designed and made these things that many of us purchased???

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
Has anyone reached out to our member Rockstar who designed and made these things that many of us purchased???
I did not, and do not expect anything from him. It was a good idea, just needs a bit more support.
onewizard likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode