'09 Versys Odometer off by 20% - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
'09 Versys Odometer off by 20%

Hi there,

I recently purchased a 2009 Versys with appx 19,000 miles on it. The owner took good care of it and seemed like a stand-up guy. I brought it to a trusted independent mechanic who gave it a bill of good health (just needed new tires). I was on one of my first 75+ mile trips on it today and I noticed something... the odometer is pretty innacurate.

The owner did tell me that he changed out a sprocket to get "more low end umph" but for the life of him he couldn't remember how many teeth the new one had, whether it was the front or rear etc.

Anyway, for every ACTUAL mile I drive, the odometer only registers about 0.8 miles ridden. I've verified this using mile markers on highways as well as pre-routed routes using google maps. E.G. a trip to the store that is actually 2.4 miles only registered 2.0 miles on the odometer. I imagine this means my speedometer is off as well, but I don't have a GPS unit to verify.

Would the easiest way to fix this be just to return the unit to its stock sprocket setup? As I mentioned, the sprocket setup was done by the previous owner, and part of me would prefer to have the gears setup the way Kawi engineers intended.

Also, is there an easy way to identify which sprocket has been changed and to what kind? Sorry I know it's a newbie question, but the previous owner is of course MIA, and I don't want to pay a mechanic an extra hour of exploratory labor just to figure out which sprocket has been changed and to what. Thanks everyone!

Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Stock front sprocket is a 15T dampened sprocket.........

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 08:10 PM

Never heard of a change in the sprockets to alter the odometer reading. I heard about a change in sprockets affecting the speedometer. Anyway rear stock is 46 t. Need to lookup the front.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Sprocket changes affect both speedometer and odometer/tripmeters accuracy which rely on countershaft sprocket speed sensor... Mileage reading should be close to accurate with stock 15/46 sprockets. With 15/43 (+ 6.98 %) or 16/46 (+ 6.67%), speedometer is close to accurate but odometer/tripmeters then read about 7% less than with stock gearing. As rear tire wears down, speed reading decreases and odometer reading increases.

-20% on mileage is a lot though. How is your indicated speed accuracy? You can take the front sprocket cover off and count the teeth. Rear sprocket should have a number stamped on it, or you could also count the teeth. It may have 16/43 sprockets which would make it geared 14.11% over stock.

Last edited by invader; 08-20-2012 at 08:52 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
If he changed the sprocket for low end grunt that bike must be a wheelie monster! Most people change out the sprocket for lower RPMs at highway speeds. Personally, I like the stock set up. Good low end grunt and the bike can run 80 MPH all day long and still get 50 MPG.

My Versys Travels:

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

OK, so I checked my rear sprocket, and indeed the previous owner put a 48-teethed sprocket on the rear. Insane!

To be honest, it's not a wheelie monster as some had feared, but it does rocket forward when i get above 8000 rpm in any gear. I'm probably just super easy on it off the line.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the right tool to take off the front sprocket cover and check the front sprocket. But if I were a bettin man I would say it's a stock 15 tooth.

So, now knowing what we know, would a 48-toothed rear be significant enough to cause this odometer inaccuracy? And does that even make sense (not sure if 48 tooth would make the odometer too generous or conservative in its measurements).

If I switched back to the stock 46-tooth, do you recommend I buy the OEM sprocket, or is there another 46-tooth rear that you recommend?

Thanks!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 01:41 PM

check the front.. if it's one tooth smaller than stock (14T)then that's 119.5% larger gearing than accurate..which is 15/43 that I have and have verified with gps. BTW, you'd probably have to swap the front smaller to get the stock length of chain to work on a larger rr sprocket or it would be really a tight fit...IMO
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 02:49 PM

I've noticed the same thing but not 20%. My speedo will match my GPS but the ODO is definitely slower than the miles covered.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

OK latest update... got the front sprocket cover off and saw it was a SIXTEEN tooth sprocket. That means it's a 16/48 setup. Stupid, right? Basically cancels itself out and is close to stock gear ratio. Actually, according to my calculations, this reduces low end torque compared to the stock 15/46 setup. But it also explains why my bike isn't a wheelie machine with the 48 rear.

So question... with this weird setup of 16/48, could that explain the odometer being off?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
With 16/48 sprockets, you're geared only 2.2222 % over stock... What size rear tire do you have on?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Properly sized (120/70-17, 160/60-17) Michelin Road Pilot III's
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Any other ideas? I'm totally stumped.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 01:52 PM

While we puzzle on that...

You mentioned that you don't have a gps to check the speedometer. You could check it by riding on the interstate at an indicated 60mph, then using a stopwatch, time how long it takes to ride between mile markers. For example - If it takes 66 seconds, then your speedometer is 10% overstated. If it takes 54 seconds, then your speedometer is understating your speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode