Generator Cover Removal - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Generator Cover Removal

Folks, I'm trying to remove the generator cover and it seems to be seized on. All the twelve bolts are out and I've whacked it with a rubber mallet a few times but it won't budge. I don't want to do anything else for fear of hurting the alternator if it falls off quickly if I hit it harder. I've put one bolt back in for the moment just in case it decides it wants to fall off on its own.

Bike is currently on stands, oil drained.

Thoughts? Advice? Is there something the manual doesn't say about removal?

--------------------------------
2008 Kawasaki Versys 650

Barkbuster Storm Guards
SW Motech Riser Block
Givi D405ST Windscreen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just going by memory....I thought that there were a couple of pry points that I used a nylon wedge on.

Besides all the bolts there are a couple of alignment pins & the stator/rotor/magnet situation to deal with.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm probably fighting the magnet situation. Will look at prying it off since I'm replacing anyway.

2008 Kawasaki Versys 650

Barkbuster Storm Guards
SW Motech Riser Block
Givi D405ST Windscreen

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 08:44 PM

Whacking alone will only work if you break the alignment dowels, so a little leverage is required.

Also be careful when you reinstall the cover, the magnet has some decent pull on it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Ask Smiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ididar View Post
I'm probably fighting the magnet situation. Will look at prying it off since I'm replacing anyway.
As in the title, he has had lots of experience, and the gasket can be reused as long as you don't damage it, word of caution, going back on, expect a force equal to about 15 LBs on your fingers, other words use some caution. You will never get it off hitting it with a mallet, there are pry points , basically center line of the rotor / stator.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I got the cover off with some plastic wedged scrapers and some prying.

I have some questions.

I swapped the coil and wiring over fine. The wiring grommet took a bit of prying on the grommet to get it out but it came out fine. The manual says to use Kawasaki sealant. Any advice on an alternate? There is also no mention of any sealant between gasket and bike or the cover. Should there be? There didn't appear to be anything upon removal. Also, I think I should clean up the face on the bike where the gasket will mate. There appears to be some mild corrosion or some gunk. That said, I don't want what I take off getting in around the alternator components. Ideas? Would a cloth wiping off be sufficient or how critical is the mating to avoid leaks.

2008 Kawasaki Versys 650

Barkbuster Storm Guards
SW Motech Riser Block
Givi D405ST Windscreen
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ididar View Post
I got the cover off with some plastic wedged scrapers and some prying.

I have some questions.

I swapped the coil and wiring over fine. The wiring grommet took a bit of prying on the grommet to get it out but it came out fine. The manual says to use Kawasaki sealant. Any advice on an alternate? There is also no mention of any sealant between gasket and bike or the cover. Should there be? There didn't appear to be anything upon removal. Also, I think I should clean up the face on the bike where the gasket will mate. There appears to be some mild corrosion or some gunk. That said, I don't want what I take off getting in around the alternator components. Ideas? Would a cloth wiping off be sufficient or how critical is the mating to avoid leaks.
Unless you damaged the gasket, I recall putting nothing on the gasket. Just tighten all the bolts evenly. If you are concerned there is gasket maker, I use clear silicone, however the next time you try to remove it expect to replace the gasket, like I said, the time I was involved nothing was scraped or nothing applied upon assembly. I also have a new gasket for that still in the OEM plastic bag.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have a new gasket. It was fairly cheap so I bought one on the principle of rather having it and not need it than not have it and need it. I was worried I'd damage the old one removing. I didn't, but I'll install the new one anyway just to be safe and get a good seal on the new cover.

The big question I have is the sealant around that grommet for the wiring. There was some sealant on the remove one as I had to cut the sealant to get the grommet out. I could put some clear silicon back.

2008 Kawasaki Versys 650

Barkbuster Storm Guards
SW Motech Riser Block
Givi D405ST Windscreen
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 07:20 PM

It's been a while since I last messed in that area but I seem to remember the manual showing a couple of spots to apply sealant & specific torque requirements.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
To clarify, the two photos show the old fairing with the sealant on it from the removed wiring and the other photo is the new cover with the freshly installed gasket and wiring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171205_175003~2 (low).jpg (39.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171205_174958~2 (low).jpg (39.3 KB, 35 views)

2008 Kawasaki Versys 650

Barkbuster Storm Guards
SW Motech Riser Block
Givi D405ST Windscreen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode