• 3 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Aftermarket heated grip wiring using factory relay

Howdy all,

I could use some help with an aftermarket heater grip wiring (Oxford Heaterz; Koso Apolloís, etc.) using the relay/ factory connector on my 2016 Versys 650 LT, as Iím not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I have successfully installed the OEM power outlet, gear indicator and relay.

Has any one done this? Does anyone know if there is a video/ step by step tutorial to re-wire/ tweak the aftermarket wiring to work with a 2nd OEM relay I have? Do I even need a 2nd relay? Iíve searched high and low, but canít find a thing that helps me/ gives me a visual reference. Iím trying to avoid any additional ring terminals to my battery. My OCD when it comes to wiring can drive me bananas! Thanks a million!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 10:33 AM

I have yet to install my electric accesories, but from what I found, you have similar leads like the ones you used for the power socket (under the windshield), but in this case, behind the left fairing. These are the ones used for the OEM heated grips. And also are powered by the same relay, so you should not need to add a second one.

Regards,
Luciano.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountryadventure View Post
Howdy all,

I could use some help with an aftermarket heater grip wiring (Oxford Heaterz; Koso Apollo’s, etc.) using the relay/ factory connector on my 2016 Versys 650 LT, as I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I have successfully installed the OEM power outlet, gear indicator and relay.

Has any one done this? Does anyone know if there is a video/ step by step tutorial to re-wire/ tweak the aftermarket wiring to work with a 2nd OEM relay I have? Do I even need a 2nd relay? I’ve searched high and low, but can’t find a thing that helps me/ gives me a visual reference. I’m trying to avoid any additional ring terminals to my battery. My OCD when it comes to wiring can drive me bananas! Thanks a million!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
How To Forum

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ne-photos.html

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...thing-etc.html

The one below shows several inline photos and a video
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...5-earlier.html
If you look at the lower JPEG photos you will see a blue and yellow wire with bullet connectors and a white plug, this is in the harness left side just above and back of the rad, this is powered by the auxiliary relay from the front.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...14-post50.html
Fastoman likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 11-29-2017 at 01:05 PM.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you!

I really appreciate the responses. This iS helpful.
onewizard and Fastoman like this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 02:28 PM

If you go to the Kawasaki web site and look under available accessories for our bike, if you click on the heated grips you'll see a PDF installation guide. My aftermarket Hot Grips wired up beautifully to the OEM circuit.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Last question:

If I'm installing aftermarket heated grips (Koso Apollo's) using the factory bullet connectors located behind the left fairing which are ordinarily used for the OEM heated grips, which of the two wires is the Positive/ live lead? In other words, which factor connection behind the left fairing is the + wire (color of wire/ male/ female bullet connector)?

I ask because I'll need to remove the connector rings from the aftermarket grips and install bullet connectors to use the "plug and play/ relay" feature. I'd like a clean, switched connection that uses the relay I've already installed, rather than wiring directly to the battery. Thanks!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountryadventure View Post
If I'm installing aftermarket heated grips (Koso Apollo's) using the factory bullet connectors located behind the left fairing which are ordinarily used for the OEM heated grips, which of the two wires is the Positive/ live lead?
First off, I'm in the North Main area of Greenville. We should hook up for a ride.

If I'm reading the wiring diagram correctly, I see a black wire with yellow stripe and male connector, and a white wire with blue stripe and female connector. Is that what you're seeing? The black is ground and the white is the +.

What's the power draw of your grips? My aftermarket Hotgrips (2.5-3.0 amps) draw about double the juice that the factory grips (1.5 amps) draw. So, I had to give my accessories circuit some relief since it was carrying my GPS, gear indicator and LED accessory lights. Was in danger of popping the fuse.

I ended up moving my LED accessory lights to the headlight circuit since I calculated it had available bandwidth, especially with my LED headlight bulbs. The added benefit is that now my accessory lights go dark when I hit the starter button. Less draw on the battery at start-up.

Last edited by brock29609; 03-10-2018 at 12:10 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 05:55 PM

I connected my Oxford Heaterz to the City light circuit, been using them like that for more than six years now...no blown fuses, no need for a relay (2011 Versys).

Anders B.
Sweden
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 05:59 PM

The Oxford and OEM grips have a similar draw, so the OEM heated grips circuit should work for either on a 2015+.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 01:31 AM

Garage
I balked at the stupid price of the Kawi relay so I cut off the connector and crimped on spade ends. I covered them with heat shrink, they slide right on to the terminals on standard automotive relays that cost about 5 bucks. works fine

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezerboy View Post
I balked at the stupid price of the Kawi relay so I cut off the connector and crimped on spade ends. I covered them with heat shrink, they slide right on to the terminals on standard automotive relays that cost about 5 bucks. works fine
Used Kawasaki ones can be found used on ebay.
FYI a while back I purchased a OMRON 27002-1086 relay on ebay for $9.00.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 08:45 PM

Garage
I’ve got a 2010 V. I just installed Kimpex-style grip heaters (actually from Aerostich). I already have the OEM relay/5A charging socket, so I tapped them into that. So far so good, and no need to run a separate line to the battery.

Getting the factory grips off/on was easy: just work a wire coat-hanger between the grip and the bars/throttle tube and pour/squirt in a little bit of rubbing alcohol. The grips slip off without any trouble.

I wrapped a layer of electrical tape on the left side before sticking on the heating pad (maybe it'll help keep the bars becoming such a heat sink?), and secured both with more electrical tape. Then I used a little bit of rubbing alcohol on the inside of the grips before installing them; they slipped on without any help.

The black/yellow stripe wire is the ground; use a female bullet connector. White/blue (?) stripe is positive; use a male bullet connector, which plugs into a dual female connector shared with the 5A socket.

No need for a separate relay; the acc relay switches on both the accessory plug and the grip heaters.

UPDATE: Wow! Cool! Warm hands! The Kimpex/Aerostich kit comes with the ugliest switch I've ever seen (which I mounted through a hole in the filler space to the left of the instrument panel), but it's simple and it works. But it's ugly, so it's probably destined to be replaced with something a little less ugly. And maybe a little more water-resistant. (And less ugly.)

Last edited by Sturmeyhack; 01-02-2019 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Additional words and such.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I put Koso Apollo heated grips onto both my '08 and '15 V650s, the '08 thru the "FuzeBox" I'd installed years ago, and the '15 thru the factory hook-ups - I had added the Kawi relay for around $20CDN a few years ago.

The grips work GREAT on BOTH Vs.

- -

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 12:31 AM

Garage
I have been looking at all the heated grip options and was wondering if there is any consensus on which ones are easiest to install, why and how?

@[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="6"]:goodidea:[QUOTE][B][I][CENTER][CODE][HTML][PHP][YT][YTHQ][YTHD][EBAY][MAP][/MAP][/EBAY][/YTHD][/YTHQ][/YT][/PHP][/HTML][/CODE][/CENTER][/I][/B][/QUOTE][/SIZE][/FONT];

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 01:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Sorry guys, i just need to let it out of my chest...I don,t need heater grip here as nature take care of it day @ 37C .
jaaklucas likes this.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Sorry guys, i just need to let it out of my chest...I don,t need heater grip here as nature take care of it day @ 37C .
Check the 'net - SOMEONE might make "refrigerated" grips for guys like you....

onewizard, Fastoman and jaaklucas like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Portable Motorcycle AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post

Looks like this has come to a dead end. Nothing past 2016 and the USA company --nothing
Fastoman likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 01-17-2019 at 03:10 PM.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 05:50 PM

I installed Oxford Heated grips on my V650 and I don't know how it could get any easier. Install left and right grip, bolt wiring harness to battery, find a place you like for the controller and bolt it on. Then do the hardest part which is plugging all the matching connectors together and zip tying the wires. Push button and enjoy riding with toasty digits. Looks OEM and works well as long as you keep your hands on he grips.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 01:27 PM

Garage
I bought a set of Bikemaster heated grips as they appear similar to the more expensive options at 1/2 the price, for my 08 Versys and wander if there is a thread on installation of this product?

@[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="6"]:goodidea:[QUOTE][B][I][CENTER][CODE][HTML][PHP][YT][YTHQ][YTHD][EBAY][MAP][/MAP][/EBAY][/YTHD][/YTHQ][/YT][/PHP][/HTML][/CODE][/CENTER][/I][/B][/QUOTE][/SIZE][/FONT];

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky310 View Post
I bought a set of Bikemaster heated grips as they appear similar to the more expensive options at 1/2 the price, for my 08 Versys and wander if there is a thread on installation of this product?
Try reading post #3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode