Swingarm Question - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Swingarm Question

BLUF: When riding your bike, or driving your car; pay attention!

I got myself in a bind the other day, although I avoided personal injury I did damage my 2009 Versys. While riding up the Mount Washington Auto Road on August 9th to attend the 10th Mountain Division Memorial Service, I drifted right to make room for oncoming traffic, while at the same time a left to right cross wind picked up. I thought I made the appropriate course correction back to the left; only to find myself riding along the very edge of the pavement somewhere above the tree line (5,000 foot).

Suddenly my two tires dropped off the flat road surface, and I found myself rolling along the wide, steeply banked down slope of the payment edge. I believed that counter-steering and/or braking would have resulted in the bike and myself pitching to the right, off the road surface and onto the large ragged rock out cropping. Spotting a track slightly to the left I rode out of the ditch back onto the flat road surface at about 15 – 20 mph. Both the bike and I made it, however somewhere along that 15 -20 foot track I caught the right swingarm spool on a rock. It felt like I hit the foot peg, after closer examination at the summit I learned that was not the case.

After some detailed examination I see the spool is pushed up into the swingarm, resulting in a dent about ¼ inch deep without any visible cracks. I recognize the importance of this structural member and I am seeking advice from the collective body of this forum for their experiences and knowledge pertaining to pulling the swingarm from the Versys, and what additional production year Versys fit the 2009, or for that matter what other Kawasaki swingarms fit the Versys. I have noticed surfing the web that some of our Ninja Brothers and Sisters are swapping out their swingarms for the Versys’ swingarm.

I am not too proud to learn from your experiences so please share them with myself and those who lurk on these fine pages. Additionally I wish to remind all of us of the importance of always paying attention to what we do in our daily lives. After all someday your life, or someone else’s life might be in the balance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 12:23 PM

Was wonderng if the Ninja 650r swingarm is also a direct swap?

Thanks

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get ya!
2009 Versys
2-06 Triumph Rocket III's
2006 Triumph Sprint
1997 Honda PC 800
1987 Yamaha BW 350
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 01:19 PM

Kawasaki claim in their advertising for the Versys that the aluminum swing arm on the Versys is a, more robust, upgrade over the steel swing arm found on they Ninja 650/ER6. The reason they give for the change is the rougher road surfaces the Versys is designed to handle.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 04:08 PM

The Versys sub frame has additional bracing that the ER6/Ninjas do not have. This is to support more luggage and passenger weight. It has a higher rated cargo capacity. The main frame as JD alluded to is identical with the Ninja/ER6
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
ER6=EX650=650R

all the same bike. the swingarm in the photo is from a 650R, or ER6F.
Thanks for the clarification, I was thinking the one shown was an ER6N.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get ya!
2009 Versys
2-06 Triumph Rocket III's
2006 Triumph Sprint
1997 Honda PC 800
1987 Yamaha BW 350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode