2014 650 Versys Numerous Problems - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kensei77

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2014 650 Versys Numerous Problems

Hi,

I'm new to the forums. I've had my 2014 Versys 650 since November of last year and ride it daily as my daily rider regardless of the weather condition. I'm not new to motorcycles, I've been riding off and on for 25+ years, with the last 6 years consistently.

I love anything on two wheels, bicycles, mopeds, motorcycles. I also enjoy riding ATVs.

I decided to sign up today for two reasons: one; looking to find other Versys riders in my area to maybe do rides with, and two; my Versys is starting to have multiple problems all at once and I need help troubleshooting. But more about that later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, havenít been online for a couple of days. Thanks to everyone for the welcomes.

So, Iíll try and explain my issues the best I can. It seems Iím getting plagued with multiple problems all at once.

My bike is a 2014 with 13k miles. No modifications mechanically.

First off, Iíve had a flat spot at around 9k rpms for a while. I recently changed the spark plugs and that help with the flat spot, although itís still there a little.
Right plug was brownish and the left plug was more white. Also, thereís discoloration with the headers. Left pipe looks dull like a powder is over it and the other looks normal. Iíll try and post pictures soon.

The bike is now running really smooth through gear 1-4. The problems are when I hit 5th and 6th gears. As long as I donít try and accelerate it seems ok, but once I get on the throttle, even lightly it sounds very throaty, vibrates and doesnít want to accelerate fast.

To get the full idea, imagine being in a gear at around 2k rpms and you try and accelerate. Youíre too low in the rpms range and it struggles. Thatís the exact same reaction the bike is having in 5th and 6th but my rpms are over 5k rpms.

Another thing is I sometime smell burnt wires, usually Iíve noticed it more in the rain after riding. The last time I rode it in the rain it was pouring and the high beam indicator light on the gauges lightly came on. At the time the high beam bulb had been out. Iíve had to change it 3 times in one year because the light goes out prematurely.

And lastly Iíve noticed is a howling at around 55 mph. As soon as I hit 55, no matter the gear from what I can tell.

So, as you can see Iím having some issues. I took it to the dealer and they did a throttle body sync and said it was good. I took it home and nothing changed. I complained to the owner and left it at that. Going to do my own work like usual, but at that time I just wanted it fixed.

Any input would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you for reading.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

I tried uploading some pics but not sure how to。Also、last night I took all the fairing off the bike and checked every wire, plug and hose for problems or anything abnormal. I didnít find anything. Also checked the plugs and all looked good.
Today I took it for a ride and the bike did better. I noticed that if I get it over 5.5k the bike starts to smooth out in fifth and sixth. Iíve always shifted at 4500rpms and have never had it run like this before.

Not sure if the clutch going bad could do this. Iíve noticed also the shifter feels rough when I shift up in gears, but ok when shifting down.
Does that sound like a clutch problem?

Either way, Iím ordering clutch plates and going to change them out.

Anyway, thanks for reading and hope to hear some feedback.

Have a great weekend!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Some other things:

Does it feel as the bike is being held back?

I'm assuming you have checked the air filter?
Checked the final drive for chain alignment and chain not too tight or tight spots. If it has tight spots you can hear a WA-WA-WA-WA sound at speed.
If wheel/chain alignment is off you can get brake drag too.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Electrical / mechanical

First I started this new thread, both us mods in your introductory thread didn't realize your problem as you posted after us, both of us and many more on this forum can easily sort this out, I have vast experience on the electrical side and am sure this is solvable without using the dealer , depending on how skilled you are.

The first thing is it sounds like you could possibly have a chain / sprocket problem as to the speed vibration. The shifter could be a combination of the pivot point being dry and improperly adjusted, that version didn't have a sealed grease area, also your engine oil could be a factor. As to clutch plates , in over 8 years on this forum, I don't recall one member with clutch plate problems, clutch cable yes, improperly adjust cable yes, pinched clutch cable yes , no lube on the clutch lever yes.

Electrical, you mentioned the plugs, many have come across cracked stick coils, one option you could do to prove it is swap stcik coils, if the problem moves to the other cylinder you know you need new coils.
You mention about the headlight, you need to go over all your engine / frame grounds, I had several corroded grounds on my 07, as protection of electrical connections wasn't as good as the new 2015 Versys, that I have now.
If you have a good digital meter, you need to measure volts DC at idle 1350 RPM at the battery, you need to raise idle to 2000 RPM using the idle screw adjustment and measure it again. You then need to stop the engine and disconnect the plug from the stator and measure volts AC http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...gs-2015-a.html

TPS there is a harness made that is used for both the main throttle and sub-throttle, there have been members with TPS failure on this forum, there have been solutions to partial replacement, before considering this it is best to get these measurements, main and sub-throttle, FYI the full service manual is available in PDF from this site, look in sticky how to
Mechanical

You were very close,as to spark plugs, I would consider doing a valve shim check, ( there is a full step by step for every 650 made in the How To forum, including inline photos , as you said the dealer said vacuum sync was good, usually vacuum sync being off is directly related to valve shim clearance, so this is something I would consider but highly unlikely a cause of any of your problems.

You asked about photos

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ghlight=inline

Last edited by onewizard; 11-19-2017 at 01:55 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

It does feel a little held back in 5th a 6th.
Also, the air filter is good. I changed it out a month or so ago and still looks good as of the other day. Chain is about 2 months old and in good condition and clean.

Today I rode it to work (37 degrees F), and it seemed just as rough as it did originally. With my commute one way being an hour, I could monitor and judge it more. I noticed that when cruising in 5th or 6th while just holding the throttle to maintain speed all is smooth. Anytime in those gears I give it throttle, whether it be hard throttle or slowly, it seems to struggle a little and feels rough. If I get the rpms over 5.5k rpms, it's a little better.

A little over halfway of my trip and after holding it at 80 mph the bike seemed to have smoothed out a little. I eventually had to stop and warm my hands on the exhaust for a few minutes. When I did I could smell the burning rubber/wire burning smell again.

After a few minutes I got back on the bike and continued to work, in which accelerating quickly to get on the highway all seemed smoother. In the end though, all seems the same for the most part.

I'll also add that I put about a half a tank of ethanol free gas in that my neighbor had given me the other day. Not sure if it ran a little smoother later on due to the gas running through the system or not.

Anyway, that's all I got so far. I'll see how it runs after work. I'm hoping the problem will just magically fix itself...lol
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Was just thinking. Maybe an engine mount?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Moved Posts from Member Introduction

I started this thread yesterday and technically you should have received notification, since you were unaware I sent a PM and moved the appropriate posts to this thread, which becomes your thread related to your problems. This way all posters get the same info.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Thank you very much for moving my post and for the input. I'm pretty random when getting on here, sometimes I just go straight to my original post on my phone and then just log out.

Again, thanks for the input. Going to try the upload pics when I have time. I'm typing from work now, when I get home I bend to the needs and wants of my 2 yo and 9 yo. Haha.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3744.JPG (98.6 KB, 92 views)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Dang, the pic uploaded. Haha.

That's the discolored headers.
onewizard likes this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensei77 View Post
...That's the discolored headers.
To me - it just looks like the FRONT header is 'dirty', but near the top above the muddy bit, the color looks the same to me as on your other pipe.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode