Cool down period? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cool down period?

Hey folks. Been riding my 2011 V all summer since getting it used, and I have a very basic question.

Wondering whether people are allowing the bike to run before turning it off, when they get to a destination? In the northeast heat and humidity this summer, I have noticed that often the fan is running when I stop at my destination.

Most often, I just turn the bike off - but I'm now wondering if there's an advantage to allowing it to run, for a cool down period?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

**'2011 Versys, '75 Honda CL360 cafe project, '76 CB 550, '09 Husky TE610**

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 09:50 AM

+1 Wondered the same thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 10:12 AM

Garage
When I get home, I let the engine run until the fan stops
This way I don't bring ALL the heat inside the garage

Otherwise, I don't bother much, unless I just had an infernal ride ...

My 2 cents

LOP

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

That makes sense - but I'm parking outside. That being said, lately around here EVERY ride has felt infernal

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 10:51 PM

I just turn it off, regardless if the Fan is on or off. Thought that keeping the engine running would never get the fan to go off.

For best cooling prior to stopping run the bike above 70 kph, it tends to run a lot cooler. Running it in low speed actually heats up the coolant heaps.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I know that for turbo cars it was needed when you go very aggressive to let it cool down, the turbo shaft was sensible to this kind of problem.
For Versys, I just turn it off.

Versys 2015 Green
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
unless you can get the fan to kick in manual, its better to shut of the engine. waiting for the fan to kick in will never happen and you will only increase temp.

Fan kicks in at 102C, correct me if I wrong here.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
unless you can get the fan to kick in manual, its better to shut of the engine. waiting for the fan to kick in will never happen and you will only increase temp.

Fan kicks in at 102C, correct me if I wrong here.
I have been just turning it off, and will probably continue to do so. The fan is on when I stop. I wondered if allowed to run a bit more, would it cool the bike a bit, and then best to turn it off then? But you make a good point...running it in this heat while standing still gives no air to the front of the radiator - so it would possibly have no positive effect.

A manual fan switch was a popular mod on the old FZR600 I had. Haven't looked around here to see if it's something folks do to the V.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 10:20 PM

Our V has adequate fan cooling. My buddy's KTM SMT wasn't designed for the tropics as far as fan cooling is concerned. We were stuck in a massive traffic jam and as a matter of courtesy to our fellow convoy bikers, we remained in formation and didn't lane split or find other ways around the traffic. (The lead was a Goldwing, too fat to squeeze) While my V's fan was working hard and temperatures were seen at 105 deg C and maintained there, my buddy had to shut off the engine as the overheat warning lamps came on. Imagine the inconvenience of having to shut off then turn on again when we move on a little. That would strain the battery from the starter motor engagement point of view.

Well he got back home, and ordered a secondary fan, mounted it in and so far, it cools sufficiently now.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 11:04 PM

I've noticed that even in lower temperatures my fan will run for awhile after shutdown if I've been putting around town for a long time. Just like everything else about this bike, it works better when you go faster!!! I cool mine off with a potential "excessive speed/acceleration" ticket every day on my ride home. Keeps us both happy!

'89 yz 80
'96 cr 80
'99 kx 125
'09 Versys
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 12:50 AM

once you shut it off, it's not gonna get any hotter. it doesn't really matter how long it takes to get down to ambient temp.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 02:52 AM

Garage
Even if you could run the fan after shutting the bike down, I doubt it would do any good. The fan cools the coolant that is in the radiator. When traveling this works good as there is a constant flow of coolant through the engine into the radiator then back to the engine.

When you come to a stop and turn off the bike the water pump is no longer working either. So a running fan would just cool the fluid left in the radiator with little making its way to the engine.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
Even if you could run the fan after shutting the bike down, I doubt it would do any good. The fan cools the coolant that is in the radiator. When traveling this works good as there is a constant flow of coolant through the engine into the radiator then back to the engine.

When you come to a stop and turn off the bike the water pump is no longer working either. So a running fan would just cool the fluid left in the radiator with little making its way to the engine.
OK, I'm buying it. That makes sense to me.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 12:59 PM

Keeping it running to let it cool down? That's non sense, just turn it off.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 01:54 PM

As someone stated earlier in this thread, the engine stops producing heat when you shut it off. No sense in continuing to run it.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopreserve View Post
Wondering whether people are allowing the bike to run before turning it off, when they get to a destination?
I don't.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...archid=1287778

This way I keep the temp to within 95C at all time so when i am stopping after a ride I see it at 85C only and shut off the engine without any problem.

Have done long trip and system work fine and my setting on the system is at 95C.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
Keeping it running to let it cool down? That's non sense, just turn it off.
Maybe I should have clarified. I understand that shutting the engine off will have it operating at a lower temp than running (also, moving to a lower climate area would cool it even quicker

But my question was really whether there was some advantage to allowing the engine to be shut down, after running it for a few minutes at low RPM (idle) rather than directly shutting it off after its been humming along at high RPM.

It was suggested to me long ago for an air cooled vintage bike - which admittedly may be very different, which is why I asked.

It seems most don't feel the need, and that's good enough for me. I would think issues would have arisen with some of you already, if shutting it off quickly was a problem.

Thanks for the feedback folks.

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2daMax View Post
For best cooling prior to stopping run the bike above 70 kph, it tends to run a lot cooler.
Yeah I tried that, but it was hard to stop in time before reaching the end of the garage...
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 12:53 PM

My '92 KLR will often kick the fan on after I park and shut it off, just for a minute or so. That kinda had me thinking that it was somehow beneficial for the bike. The counter-arguments have convinced me though, I think it's just some old-tech wiring on the ancient beast. It does tell me that the coolant heats up a bit after shut-down though, at least where the thermal switch is located, bottom of the radiator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode