How do I check battery drainage - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to longroad2nowhere
How do I check battery drainage

So about a month ago, my bike wouldnt start after I was gone for 3 days. Charged it, it was fine, the next weekend I didnt ride it for 2 days, and it died again. Then I was out of town for a week. I disconnected the battery from the bike. Reattached when I returned and it started right up. This weekend I was gone for 2 days days and its dead again. Obviously something is draining it. Its not the battery as when I unplugged it it was fine. The charging system is working just fine. If I jump it and ride it for a good 15 minutes it is nearly fully charged.

I have never been great with a volt meter, can someone lead me through how to check what my drainage is, and give me any pointers as to where I should start looking for the drain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 03:09 PM

I'm having the same problem. Leave the bike sit for 3 days and it'll barely turn over. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 04:46 PM

You guys have'nt stated how "old" your batteries are? Unless you have installed unswitched electrical circuits EA: leads for heated clothing, lights , etc, the only draw that "should" be present (Key off) is memory power for the clock? Most multimeters also have an ammeter function often rated for 10 amps or less. To use this function leave the negative lead in the (common) meter port and move the positive lead to the amp port. Disconnect the battery positive lead and introduce the ammeter into this circuit. Key OFF, You should only see a milliamp draw (less than 1 amp). Anything more would indicate that you have an unswitched draw as above or you have a problem with the rectifier/regulator. If the seen amperage draw is just milliamps, your battery is either undercharged or "old " and possibly needs to be replaced. If more draw IS present disconnect the R/R and see if that reduces the draw.

Lean/Two

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 04:59 PM

You are correct battery info is required. Mine was new this spring, but I should get it tested before looking further. This problem snuck up on me the last 3-4 wks and if I ride it at least every other day there are no problems, but let it sit for a long weekend and its DOA.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I have a 07 bike bought in 08, original battery and 16,000 KM---------not a good idea to jump start and ride, reason being, the charge rate should be low, same as a battery tender, usually 1 amp or less. The Versys will put out 10 to 12 amp charge on a dead battery, that usually cooks the battery, you then are low on fluids and have limited capacity.
I would check the battery first, however you could also have regulator problems. Best to have a fully charged battery, disconnect the easiest battery terminal and connect a ammeter in series, should have less than 5 milliamp. If you have 30 or more milliamp, try unplugging the regulator, if it goes away you need to follow the manual for testing the regulator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode