Changing tires - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Changing tires

So at 6000 miles it's time for tires-I have both front and rear stands from Cycle Gear(Track side) used the rear many times for chain lube and for rear tire change-than we went to the front- rear stand first- placed the front stand and it worked-but noticed the axle was hard to remove should have known right than something was not right-when I pulled the axle out the bike tilted right and almost fell off the stand my friend had to hold the bike up while I hurried up and blocked up the engine with wood and a bottle jack-what the hell happened-had to put the axle back in and a jack under it to put the bike straight-changed tire put it all back together by the hardest-than stepped back to see why it did that-light blub went off as I'm sure you all know me included but not thinking there is only one spring in the front end and it's in the left side so that's why it titled right-I think the only reason it did not fall was because of the front fender was holding the front end together-moral of this story only use triple tree stand on this bike-any one else thought about this--and if you did use the bottom front fork stand you were lucky

Deep in Cajun Country

Last edited by motorboy; 11-13-2017 at 11:42 PM. Reason: miss spelled words--this whole thing really shook me up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 12:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have a couple of big hooks screwed into a rafter in the ceiling of my garage. I hook a pair of ratcheting straps to them and the handle bars.

Then raise the front end til the wheel is just off the ground.

Makes taking off the front wheel much easier and safer than trying to balance on a paddock stand.

Glad you did not damage your ride.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I hand an issue with a cheap Triple tree stand. Now have T rex and it works well . Recommend pit bull or trex

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 04:07 PM

Did you have the bike on the front stand only? If so, you can't use a front stand alone. It has to go on the rear stand first, then the front. It sounds like you did this, however? Not sure what you mean by one spring in the front?
I use paddock stands to change my tires all the time. Usually a front fork stand with a spooled rear stand. I loosen the axle nuts before putting the bike on the stands. I use PitBull stands. Rock solid, never a hint of it falling off.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 04:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
Did you have the bike on the front stand only? If so, you can't use a front stand alone. It has to go on the rear stand first, then the front. It sounds like you did this, however? Not sure what you mean by one spring in the front?
I use paddock stands to change my tires all the time. Usually a front fork stand with a spooled rear stand. I loosen the axle nuts before putting the bike on the stands. I use PitBull stands. Rock solid, never a hint of it falling off.
I too am curious, I've had the bike on the front stand multiple times and have never had an issue with it wanting to lean.
turn8a likes this.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 05:02 PM

Garage
2015 and beyond 650s use one fork spring in one fork, the other is damping only. Remove the axle and the 2 fork legs no longer work in unison. The weight compresses the "spring less" leg, dropping the bike to the spring less side.
aboyandhisversys likes this.

Brad, Suwanee Ga.
'09 V650, several others too!
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
I hand an issue with a cheap Triple tree stand. Now have T rex and it works well . Recommend pit bull or trex
could you tell me what problems you had with that cheap brand of stand

Deep in Cajun Country
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
What I mean is the Versys USD forks 2015 and newer only have a spring in the left side- the damping and rebound are in the right side and yes rear first than front-if you remove the wheel and the front fender the right fork leg would go up and down with your hand with little resistance- now that I look back on it I should have known better-never to old to learn-triple tree stand for this kind of forks from now on--Brad906 summed it up well-so if you have a Versys older than 2015 you can use a front under the forks stand with out any problem

Deep in Cajun Country

Last edited by motorboy; 11-11-2017 at 07:52 PM.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 10:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad906 View Post
2015 and beyond 650s use one fork spring in one fork, the other is damping only. Remove the axle and the 2 fork legs no longer work in unison. The weight compresses the "spring less" leg, dropping the bike to the spring less side.
That's good to know, thanks for the heads up
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorboy View Post
What I mean is the Versys USD forks 2015 and newer only have a spring in the left side- the damping and rebound are in the right side and yes rear first than front-if you remove the wheel and the front fender the right fork leg would go up and down with your hand with little resistance- now that I look back on it I should have known better-never to old to learn-triple tree stand for this kind of forks from now on--Brad906 summed it up well-so if you have a Versys older than 2015 you can use a front under the forks stand with out any problem
I had no idea this was the case on the 2015 and up bikes. Thanks for the info. I find it weird they'd do that, but whatever, lol.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
This Applies To Lowering Link Also

Quote:

As a matter of interest, this applies to the lowering link from Speedy. I found out the hard way, almost took out my clutch cable. Instructions are to loosen the clamps one side at a time, did the right first, as another member would say, easy peasy, well the left not so, like I said, luckily I had a assortment of tools at the time including a long bar clamp and a knockout punch that matched the top of the fork tube, I was able to push the fork tube back to the proper distance, FYI this was before my Venom triple tree stand and I was too far from the overhead beam to deal with the issue.

So your post may help other 2015 owners and that is why I also posted.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 11:05 AM

I changed the front tire on my '16 a few months ago with a regular front paddock stand. It never occurred to me to look at the service manual for such a simple operation, but it wouldn't have done much good. Though the manual says to use a Kawasaki jack and extensions, it doesn't warn against using a paddock stand. I would have chalked it up to Kawasaki trying to sell me a jack. I wonder how many other bikes are set up this way.

I guess I'll order a TRex before I do anything else to the front of either bike.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowIsSmooth View Post
I changed the front tire on my '16 a few months ago with a regular front paddock stand. It never occurred to me to look at the service manual for such a simple operation, but it wouldn't have done much good. Though the manual says to use a Kawasaki jack and extensions, it doesn't warn against using a paddock stand. I would have chalked it up to Kawasaki trying to sell me a jack. I wonder how many other bikes are set up this way.

I guess I'll order a TRex before I do anything else to the front of either bike.
I am SO-O-O glad that I have (and used) my Trex triple-tree front stand when I did it!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
could you tell me what problems you had with that cheap brand of stand
I first bought a Venom Triple Tree stand for my 2011 Gen2. 2 problems.

1) Did not lift the bike high enough so I had to use some 2x6 blocks as runners to get the wheel off the ground

2) The tree extension arm made contact with the head light cowling

The T rex stand can lift much higher and the tree arm has an extension for the pin which prevents the cowling from being in contact with the arm. Overall build quality and weight of stand construction is much superior.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:

1) Did not lift the bike high enough so I had to use some 2x6 blocks as runners to get the wheel off the ground

The T rex stand can lift much higher and the tree arm has an extension for the pin which prevents the cowling from being in contact with the arm. Overall build quality and weight of stand construction is much superior.
number 1 I could put up with-but number 2 is a deal breaker-so another good piece of info-because I was about to order one

Deep in Cajun Country
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Venom Stand

Quote:

There has been some negative talk on the Venom stand
Since I sold my 07 I can't compare it, however there was comments of those with a 2015 that had the same problem, no doubt there are more expensive stands out there and possibly better made, this stand works as it was designed to do and is far superior to my rear pit stand

And for those that comment on the clearance of the plastic

I should mention that my bike is lowered so the shocks are about 3/4 inch up from stock.

Also the key to it working is to get the right pin kit,which is a #2 kit, which is described in the How To Forum, 27mm pin also if you had the #1 pin kit I could see damaging the plastic and having a problem with getting enough clearance, like I said the 27mm pin is key to this working, and my opinion is even if I dropped my shocks back to OEM the stand would work

Last edited by onewizard; 11-14-2017 at 10:13 AM.
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 09:56 AM

Hey guys check out this one.

It will solve all your front end issues...Side stand too. Lol.

onewizard and Buffalo_Bob like this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

Last edited by hawkerjet; 11-14-2017 at 09:59 AM.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 10:53 AM

When I bought my stands I considered how much it would cost to drop the bike and how long a hospital stay would be. I figured if the stands failed they would wait til I was in a spot to cushion the fall.
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
And here's how MUCH clearance you will have w/ a Gen 3, using a T-Rex triple-tree stand....

crosshairs likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
There has been some negative talk on the Venom stand
Since I sold my 07 I can't compare it, however there was comments of those with a 2015 that had the same problem, no doubt there are more expensive stands out there and possibly better made, this stand works as it was designed to do and is far superior to my rear pit stand

And for those that comment on the clearance of the plastic

I should mention that my bike is lowered so the shocks are about 3/4 inch up from stock.

Also the key to it working is to get the right pin kit,which is a #2 kit, which is described in the How To Forum, 27mm pin also if you had the #1 pin kit I could see damaging the plastic and having a problem with getting enough clearance, like I said the 27mm pin is key to this working, and my opinion is even if I dropped my shocks back to OEM the stand would work
so to clarity what your saying the Venom stand with the right pin used 27mm will work with a stock gen3 650 lifting the front wheel high enough and not touching plastic--just want to make sure before I order one--thanks

Deep in Cajun Country
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode