Stupid axle nut! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Stupid axle nut!

OK... so I decided I was overdue on adjusting my chain. This would be the first ttime myself on the bike. I went out and purchased a nice 1/2 inch torque wrench and a 27mm socket. Got it on the jack... removed the cotter pin..attempt to turn the axle nut left (loose) and it won't budge.

So here I am. Confused, angry , upset.

Manual says 90lbs of torque. I'm sure I was pushing down at like 180. What the heck!!!

Questions.. 1) you turn the side with the chain, right ? 2) you turn left or counterclockwise right? 3) could the shop have used an air wrench thus making it impossible for me to turn this damn thing ?

Any suggestions or help would be great.

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 05:10 PM

Counterclockwise is correct. You might get better stability with the bike off the stand to break the nut loose, then back onto the stand. Also sounds like you will need to add a "cheater" bar to your ratchet, I just use a short piece of pipe that slips over the handle for more leverage.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 05:18 PM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Soild View Post
Counterclockwise is correct. You might get better stability with the bike off the stand to break the nut loose, then back onto the stand. Also sounds like you will need to add a "cheater" bar to your ratchet, I just use a short piece of pipe that slips over the handle for more leverage.
+1 Take that thing and pop that nut free! Support it with one hand holding the nut and just pop it with your other arm. Use the cheater if yu have too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 05:49 PM

Use a ratchet NOT your nice new Torque Wrench to break the nut free. It's not a good thing to do with a torque wrench and it can knock it out of calibration.

I picked up a 24" 1/2" drive breaker bar for those hard to turn nuts and bolts, and I've bent it on a car!

I agree break the nut free with the bike on the side stand NOT a lift. Remember, Lefty Loosy, Righty Tighty. Turn the nut by pulling UP on it, chain side.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 06:30 PM

I picked up one of these for half off one day. Axle nut comes right off. Still requires some effort though!

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-driv...bar-67933.html

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 07:23 PM

I had the same problem, even a 300 lb guy stomping on a breaking bar couldn't break it free. In the end, I heated the nut up with a bic lighter for a minute and it popped right loose. Good luck!

'89 yz 80
'96 cr 80
'99 kx 125
'09 Versys
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
I picked up one of these for half off one day. Axle nut comes right off. Still requires some effort though!

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-driv...bar-67933.html

Damnit. I was just there today picking up the tools I needed once the axle was loose. I'll check it out !

Glad I'm not the only one who has an issue with this.

Question. Why pull up and not push down? Too much pressure on the side stand ?

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naudan View Post
It's really a matter of safety. I've worked with my hands turning wrenches most of my life was was always taught to pull never push.

When you're pushing a wrench and it breaks free you have no control your hand shoots forward until it bashs into something, busted knuckle!

By Pulling on the wrench you can feel it starting to turn and slack off so you can control things better.

No magic to make the job easier other than less blood to clean up.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naudan View Post
Damnit. I was just there today picking up the tools I needed once the axle was loose. I'll check it out !

Glad I'm not the only one who has an issue with this.

Just an excuse to go back and get another tool.

As far as which way, as long as you are going in the correct direction, it does not matter. I usually sit behind the wheel and use a regular length ratchet on the right (non-cotter pin side) to hold and push forward on the breaker bar on the left. There may be an easier way, but that works for me!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 04:44 PM

I recently needed to loosen the rear wheel to make roon to remove the standard ca. It was a right bastard to loosen... I'm sure they do them up extra tight at build just for a laugh....!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 06:07 PM

I have an electric impact wrench I picked up on sale for $60. It is awesome for removing stuck bolts like this and makes short work out of installing/removing snow tires on the cars (mounted on their own set of steel rims).
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 09:57 PM

The pop sound when I finally broke the nut loose was scary, sank my heart, thought something broke. Nothing broke, just a sudden release of energy manifested in a loud pop.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 10:15 PM

I do mine the same as Capn Kirk. The first time i didn't realize the axle was spinning on the other side where the rear brake is I only had one wrench that time.

Pearl Chrome Yellow/Metallic Violet Royal
02 Kawasaki Ninja 250 -sold
Lime Green 09 Kawasaki Ninja 650 -sold
Candy Plasma Blue 09 Kawasaki Versys - [UJM 2.0! ]
Lime Green 09 Kawasaki ZX-6R -(my little green ticket factory)

"Make it a day to remember. Go ride."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode