Minimum torque impact wrench for Sprocket removal? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By Jack of Heats JoH
  • 2 Post By Brockie
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Minimum torque impact wrench for Sprocket removal?

What do you folks recommend to remove the front sprocket. I bought a near new max 500lb compact impact wrench on a deal. Hoping it will be sufficient. What is your experience?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
What do you folks recommend to remove the front sprocket. I bought a near new max 500lb compact impact wrench on a deal. Hoping it will be sufficient. What is your experience?

Thanks
My electric mikta impact wrench would not remove the front sprocket. I had to use a breaker bar.I blocked the sprocket with a piece of wood and a brass door hinge.

Last edited by turn8a; 11-04-2017 at 03:26 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Some things to remember
When you block thru the wheel make sure you have something across the swing arm to spread the load.
When you block the wheel and hit the nut with an impact wrench a bunch of the work is absorbed by the cush spacer in the hub.
The first time I pulled the front sprocket it took a SIX POINT socket, long breaker bar w/ cheater pipe & a plus size neighbor with the wheel blocked & wife on brake pedal.

After the first dance it's never been an issue.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Front sprocket Nut Trick

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...cket+nut+trick used this method twice, 30 seconds and it was off. Put a rag below so the socket can't fall down, in 3 rd gear with tension on lower side of chain , which holds the socket in place.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...cket+nut+trick used this method twice, 30 seconds and it was off. Put a rag below so the socket can't fall down, in 3 rd gear with tension on lower side of chain , which holds the socket in place.
Thanks Onewizard great thread, I will try this method when it comes time to replace sprocket.

Only comment I have is the start of the thread says using a torque wrench to remove the nut. Bad idea you can damage your torque wrench, torque wrench should Only be used to torque nuts on.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks Onewizard great thread, I will try this method when it comes time to replace sprocket.

Only comment I have is the start of the thread says using a torque wrench to remove the nut. Bad idea you can damage your torque wrench, torque wrench should Only be used to torque nuts on.
Now that you pointed it out, I never noticed it before, however, I don't fully agree with you, I have used a professional torque wrench for over 40 years, both 3/8 and 1/2 drive, 1000nds of times, as in the early days, SCR clamp assemblies had crude or non existent gauges, many times I would work my way up in settings in reverse to establish the maximum torque setting, watching for the nut to move, a second less accurate method was to do the same forward , when the nut moved , the setting was between the last and latest setting . Most professional torque wrenches are designed for accurate readings in both directions, as for left hand threads .https://www.norbar.com/en-gb/News-Ev...-torque-wrench

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_wrench

Having said that, a breaker bar makes more sense, however I have purchased a 1/2 drive torque wrench from Princess Auto for $25, for the money about the same as a breaker bar and it wratchets
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

My torque wrench basically manual says to not use it as a breaker bar. What you describe of working your way up in reverse makes sense. My point is to not just use a torque wrench as a breaker bar, if the torque wrench is set at 20 lbs and you put a 100+ lbs force on it trying to break a nut loose it may not be accurate at the 20 lb setting any more. Point is to use a tool for what it is intended for.

JoH
onewizard and Brockie like this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 10:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
My torque wrench basically manual says to not use it as a breaker bar. What you describe of working your way up in reverse makes sense. My point is to not just use a torque wrench as a breaker bar, if the torque wrench is set at 20 lbs and you put a 100+ lbs force on it trying to break a nut loose it may not be accurate at the 20 lb setting any more. Point is to use a tool for what it is intended for.

JoH
I agree. despite the experience of some a torque wrench is intended to be a precision tool. Using it as a breaker bar is surely open to conjecture. That aside I wonder what torque factories do put on during assembly. More than they recommend surely. I've just used a breaker bar with a 3 foot length of pipe over it to remove the countershaft sprocket on my vx300, with a stout length of wood through chain and sprocket.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks
I have used my Inger-Sol Rand Carbon 1/2" air-impact (500'/# on removal) to remove that countershaft-sprocket (ALMOST instantly), as well as a Craftsman 1/2" air-impact (340'/# on removal), that did the same [AS LONG AS the compressor is at FULL-charge (aprox 125psi)].

I've ALSO NOT been able to budge it w/ that Inger-Sol Rand and had to ride down to the Kawi shop where they loosened it, and then I continued the job. I SUSPECT that I had NOT had the compressor is at FULL-charge....
quexpress likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode