Coolant drips.. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Coolant drips..

Hi everyone,
New here,would love to get some feedback on this issue.
I own a 2012 versys 650. I have a problem with my cooling system. Everyday without fail,the overflow hose will drip 2-3 drops of coolant once I stop driving and park the bike,doesn't matter if I off the engine or let it idle!
This have been going from day 1 I bought the bike.
Coolant level does not show any noticeable reduction.
I have bleed the coolant system twice,but to no avail.
Change the radiator cap twice!
Because of this,I have fitted water and oil temp gauges to my bike, and it's not overheating! I am also quite sure that there is no thermostat in it,cause when I drove the bike in heavy rain, at 90kmh,it shows 49'c!! The highest I got was at traffic lights,around 100'c if more than 40sec stop!
Oil temp is always around 87' to 95'c.. I have drove the bike for a 500km one way journey,no issue..... Yet,till today,it still drips.
Any one can share some light on this,much appreciated.thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Dripping is quite common on the Versys and yes it has a thermostat. Fan kick i n temp is set at 100+C, not sure of the numbers. Normal running is around 80~90C and I have install ETMS to kick fan in early to avoid high temp and Dripping.

From what you wrote all seems normal-IMHO.Below is the link to ETMS.

http://www.carsensors.com/ETMS.html
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 09:03 PM

I didn't have coolant drip issue. If the level doesn't drop, it should be ok eventhough there are a few drops. Using Toyota Long Life Coolant with Motul MoCool and about 65% soft water. I have no opportunity to experience winter.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 09:13 PM

I had a leak at my water pump this week on my new V. Took it to the dealership and it was a loose hose clamp.

Not sure why my fan runs more than everyone here. I can start my bike on a cool day and 3 mins later my fan kicks on just from idiling. I feel it come on frequently while riding as well. Coolant level is fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 12:23 AM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:40 PM.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 12:37 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doowutchyalike View Post
Hi everyone,
I own a 2012 versys 650. I have a problem with my cooling system. Everyday without fail,the overflow hose will drip 2-3 drops of coolant once I stop driving and park the bike,doesn't matter if I off the engine or let it idle!
Because of this,I have fitted water and oil temp gauges to my bike, and it's not overheating! I am also quite sure that there is no thermostat in it,cause when I drove the bike in heavy rain, at 90kmh,it shows 49'c!! The highest I got was at traffic lights,around 100'c if more than 40sec stop!
Oil temp is always around 87' to 95'c.. I have drove the bike for a 500km one way journey,no issue..... Yet,till today,it still drips.
What is your coolant level at in the reservoir when engine is cold?
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 12:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
I had a leak at my water pump this week on my new V. Took it to the dealership and it was a loose hose clamp.

Not sure why my fan runs more than everyone here. I can start my bike on a cool day and 3 mins later my fan kicks on just from idiling. I feel it come on frequently while riding as well. Coolant level is fine.
Bleed any air trap in the cooling system and check you temp sensor. The temp sensor is the only link to the fan input. MHO.

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
What is your coolant level at in the reservoir when engine is cold?
Slightly below high..... 2mm below. You can say its sitting at high at a different angle.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 07:57 AM

Try letting it drop a bit lower... I keep it slightly above the low mark, with engine cold and bike level.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Try letting it drop a bit lower... I keep it slightly above the low mark, with engine cold and bike level.
OK Bro... Will try this and update you of the outcome...
About the coolant temp coming down to 49'c while riding in the rain,any comments?
fyi,the sensor is mounted in between the right radiator hose...
I was thinking,mine was not fitted with a thermostat....if yes,how could it drop that low?
Please share some light...
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 10:28 AM
MTS

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I have the same thing! Just a drop once in awhile. I never even thought about trying to stop it! Its from the overflow tank not the radiator. Thats why I just thought whatever!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
FWIW my Subaru Forester is the same way That fan starts spinning before I'm even out of the garage. But no other issues so I try to ignore it.

Paul D
SF, CA

'12 Versys (yellow)

Previous bikes:
'04 DL1000
'02 KLR650
'01 Ducati M750
'79 Yamaha XS650
'78 Yamaha XS650
Twins rule!
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
I have the same thing! Just a drop once in awhile. I never even thought about trying to stop it! Its from the overflow tank not the radiator. Thats why I just thought whatever!
Is it..... Then im not alone on this. But mine is not once in a while,its every time i use the bike,and parked it afterwards...
Today,3 drops in the morning once i reach the office at 8.30am, and 5 drops when i got home..... temp meter was at 87'c when i off the engine....
kinda strange,my er6n never had this problem before....
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
OK Bro... Will try this and update you of the outcome...
About the coolant temp coming down to 49'c while riding in the rain,any comments?
fyi,the sensor is mounted in between the right radiator hose...
I was thinking,mine was not fitted with a thermostat....if yes,how could it drop that low?
Please share some light...
Your temperature sensor is reading coolant temperature where it comes out of the radiator (on the right) which cools it down.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 11:56 PM
MTS

Quote:
Is it..... Then im not alone on this. But mine is not once in a while,its every time i use the bike,and parked it afterwards...
Today,3 drops in the morning once i reach the office at 8.30am, and 5 drops when i got home..... temp meter was at 87'c when i off the engine....
kinda strange,my er6n never had this problem before....
I'll have a look at it tomorrow. I don't know why a few drops are coming through the tube. If nothing else I just plug it off! If its high pressure it will just blow out, you know like a soft plug!

I bet I know what it is! I'll post tomorrow.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 08-08-2012 at 12:02 AM.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'll have a look at it tomorrow. I don't know why a few drops are coming through the tube. If nothing else I just plug it off! If its high pressure it will just blow out, you know like a soft plug!

I bet I know what it is! I'll post tomorrow.
Eagerly waiting for your next post...
Hopefully this will all be over soon..
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Your temperature sensor is reading coolant temperature where it comes out of the radiator (on the right) which cools it down.
Ok,got it,thanks.
1 question though,is your bike fitted with a water temp?
If yes,where's the sensor and what's the reading like?
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 06:54 PM
MTS

Quote:
Eagerly waiting for your next post...
Hopefully this will all be over soon..
Well IMO after looking at the overflow hose and having a factory filled level just below the correct level line, I have come to the following conclusion.

Kind of a poor design. The little overflow hose has a factory ninety. So this is what happens. The fluid spashes around in the overflow and a tiny amount is held in the tiny overflow hose hole at the top of the tank, through a process called meniscus cling. Than the temp of all the fluids increase and it pushes the five drops up the tube until gravity takes over and down the tube it goes.

Solution small clip hose just at the top of the plastic nipple on the rubber hose. I have a mechanics clip and I already have it clipped and guess what? No more drip. Ha! Ha! Kind of a bad design.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Well IMO after looking at the overflow hose and having a factory filled level just below the correct level line, I have come to the following conclusion.

Kind of a poor design. The little overflow hose has a factory ninety. So this is what happens. The fluid spashes around in the overflow and a tiny amount is held in the tiny overflow hose hole at the top of the tank, through a process called meniscus cling. Than the temp of all the fluids increase and it pushes the five drops up the tube until gravity takes over and down the tube it goes.

Solution small clip hose just at the top of the plastic nipple on the rubber hose. I have a mechanics clip and I already have it clipped and guess what? No more drip. Ha! Ha! Kind of a bad design.
Can I use the same clamp that Kawasaki use for the petrol tank overflow hose? The small clip?
If yes, my understanding, just put it nearest to the plastic nipple of the overflow tank,only on the hose side without clamping the plastic. Not to totally block it,but just to make it smaller! Did I get this right?
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 11:53 AM
MTS

Quote:
Can I use the same clamp that Kawasaki use for the petrol tank overflow hose? The small clip?
If yes, my understanding, just put it nearest to the plastic nipple of the overflow tank,only on the hose side without clamping the plastic. Not to totally block it,but just to make it smaller! Did I get this right?
Well Kawa said no! Ha! Ha! Overflow must be fully vented!

Solution number #2 and this is OKed by Kawa. Cut ninety off hose and extend hose straight up from nipple two inches and than loop down. This should help stop that little bit of fluid from making it over the top and down the tube. The only down side to this I see is the darn tube might be a little too short.

Anyway thats from Kawa. NO CLIPS! Ha! Ha!

I'm going to leave mine the way it is. Its so minor to me. It doesn't do it everytime ride.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode