Oil/Filter? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Oil/Filter?

I have read some good things about using AMSOIL synthetic motorcycle oil in the Versys so am thinking about switching next oil change. Do you need to use a specific filter when using synthetic or does the normal/stock filter work the same for synthetic oils? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 10:51 AM

All work the same.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I use Amsoil with this filter....http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/...FLO-OIL-FILTER

IMG_0120 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by layduke15 View Post
I have read some good things about using AMSOIL synthetic motorcycle oil in the Versys so am thinking about switching next oil change. Do you need to use a specific filter when using synthetic or does the normal/stock filter work the same for synthetic oils? Thanks
If you check the specs, you'll find that some filters will filter out much smaller particles, and the Amsoil is one of them.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 01:51 PM

Yeah but you can't go off of Weljo's recommendations, he owns every Farkle there is to be had and burns money for fun. Haha :P

Oh and to clarify my initial statement. Not all oil filters perform the same but they do function the same. So there aren't separate oil filters for regular versus synthetic oil. At least that I have ever seen.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 02:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
Yeah but you can't go off of Weljo's recommendations, he owns every Farkle there is to be had and burns money for fun. Haha :P

Oh and to clarify my initial statement. Not all oil filters perform the same but they do function the same. So there aren't separate oil filters for regular versus synthetic oil. At least that I have ever seen.

Just trying to be environmentally friendly...Re-usable filter save the planet

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I knew it.. you're a closet tree-hugger!

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
I agree Me got one of this too but just waiting for the oil change interval to come to get it swap in. I know STLee is also using one of this.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
If you check the specs, you'll find that some filters will filter out much smaller particles, and the Amsoil is one of them.
"The AMSOil filters also have the advanced media, but they only have a very few square inches of it. Because of my fear that these can become clogged up too easily, I cannot recommend them."

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html

There was also an oil filter comparison which mentioned that the Amsoil filter was already contaminated before being used, but I can't find it now.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
I knew it.. you're a closet tree-hugger!

Joseph a closet tree-hugger...? Hell - he lives in Kalifornia. That makes him a REAL tree-hugger!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 05:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Joseph a closet tree-hugger...? Hell - he lives in Kalifornia. That makes him a REAL tree-hugger!

Hey Now.......I'm a Texan. I just happen to be in Cali awhile. If you see me hugging a tree its because i'm collecting wood to barbecue a "Brisket"

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
"The AMSOil filters also have the advanced media, but they only have a very few square inches of it. Because of my fear that these can become clogged up too easily, I cannot recommend them."

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html

There was also an oil filter comparison which mentioned that the Amsoil filter was already contaminated before being used, but I can't find it now.
Invader, Thanks for bringing the list back to life. I always used the SuperTech filter which I thought did a good enough job for the $$$, but now we can't get it anymore. I was thinking about the Pure One (PL14610) filter but seen a few things about it being too restrictive for our bikes. The million dollar question, has anybody seen evidence of this fact and think I should shy away from this filter?
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Purolator's premium oil filter element does have more surface area and more pleats for relatively low resistance to flow, while still filtering well.

http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/index.shtml

http://www.leroybeal.net/motorcycles...520exposed.pdf

This flow vs PSID chart published by AC Delco (Ultraguard) shows that Purolator's Pure One oil filter is less restrictive than Wix, Fram's DoubleGuard and ExtraGuard, Mobil 1 (K&N is exactly the same, with a nut welded on top), and Fram's Tough Guard (most restrictive).

Oil Filter Flow Test: http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/oilfiltertest.htm

Interesting info on motorcycle oil filters and by-pass valve pressure:
http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/oilfilter2.htm

("The best explanation of the oil filter that I have read is by George Nehls" link is available here): http://www.mgnoc.com/article_oil_filters_revisited.html

Last edited by invader; 08-09-2012 at 11:30 PM.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Purolator's premium oil filter element does have more surface area and more pleats for relatively low resistance to flow, while still filtering well.

http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/index.shtml

http://www.leroybeal.net/motorcycles...520exposed.pdf

This flow vs PSID chart published by AC Delco (Ultraguard) shows that Purolator's Pure One oil filter is less restrictive than Wix, Fram's DoubleGuard and ExtraGuard, Mobil 1 (K&N is exactly the same, with a nut welded on top), and Fram's Tough Guard (most restrictive).

Oil Filter Flow Test: http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/oilfiltertest.htm

Interesting info on motorcycle oil filters and by-pass valve pressure:
http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/oilfilter2.htm

("The best explanation of the oil filter that I have read is by George Nehls" link is available here): http://www.mgnoc.com/article_oil_filters_revisited.html

I might have missed it (probably did) which filter do you use Invader?

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
So there aren't separate oil filters for regular versus synthetic oil. At least that I have ever seen.
Just wanted to point out my error. After doing some research I have found separate oil filters for synthetic oils.

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/...ilFilters.aspx

Looks like all the advantages of the Purolator Pure One, but designed specifically for synthetic oils. Think I'm going to try this out as I come up on 1500 miles on my new V and my plan to fill er up with synth.

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Just wanted to point out my error. After doing some research I have found separate oil filters for synthetic oils.

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/...ilFilters.aspx

Looks like all the advantages of the Purolator Pure One, but designed specifically for synthetic oils. Think I'm going to try this out as I come up on 1500 miles on my new V and my plan to fill er up with synth.
If it's truly a "better filter", it's probably better for dino oils, too.... so in that sense, it's probably just a marketing gimmick. But what do I know? It never occurred to me that the weak link in a long-interval oil change might be the filter- but it makes sense. Even with synthetic oil, I've never gone longer than 3.5K-
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Hey Now.......I'm a Texan. I just happen to be in Cali awhile. If you see me hugging a tree its because i'm collecting wood to barbecue a "Brisket"
mmmmmm brisket

I use the K&N with Mobil 1 synthetic. Seems to do its job.

"Why do I ride?"

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 10:55 AM

HiFlo HF303. Designed for motorcycles, not a cross over automotive application.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 11:12 AM

Speaking of synthetics...

Where do you guys buy your AMSOIL from? A quick google search just returns several pages of the official AMSOIL store. (Invader if you're still using that super secret code send it my way if it works in the states)

Thank you.

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 11:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Speaking of synthetics...

Where do you guys buy your AMSOIL from? A quick google search just returns several pages of the official AMSOIL store. (Invader if you're still using that super secret code send it my way if it works in the states)

Thank you.

I get mine from forum member "Tinner".....http://www.gbsyn.com/index.php ........http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?s...=50&zo=1803064

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode