7Likes
  • 4 Post By chucksklrst
  • 2 Post By hawkerjet
  • 1 Post By Jack of Heats JoH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tire question for DIY mounters

Buying my first tires for my '15 Versys 650. I've decided to mount them myself with some tire irons and a bead breaker.

So, I'm asking for a sport touring tire recommendation ONLY as it pertains to ease of install, as I know some brands/models are harder mount than others. I'm considering the Michelin PR4, Metzeler Roadtec, Pirelli Angel and the like.

Can anyone share a mounting experience with a particular model of street tire? Any that I should avoid due to install difficulty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 03:52 PM

Garage
I just mounted a Dunlop Sprortmax Q3 on my 2016. It was an easy install with Motion Pro tools and Windex! There is great video on youtube by MC Garage on how to do it. EASY PEASY!!

You will never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychologist office!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 04:00 PM

Of the three you mentioned, Michelin will be the easiest to mount. They almost drop onto the wheel using zip ties.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I'm hoping for a comment on the Metzelers since to me they perform just as well as the Michelins for less money.

...Continental ContiRoad Attack 2 is another I'm looking at.

Last edited by brock29609; 10-23-2017 at 05:29 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 06:01 PM

Garage
Lay them out in the sun for about 20 min. Makes it a lot easier. Be careful with the brake disk, not to bend it. Here is how I do mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0789.jpg (65.8 KB, 61 views)

Chuck Henderson (US Army Active Duty RET) (Colorado) STOC# 086,
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR)
17 VX300 (Little Gray Bike)
19 V1000LTSE (Flying Nun)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I recently installed some PR4s, and had no problems mounting them at all.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 06:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by james75 View Post
I recently installed some PR4s, and had no problems mounting them at all.
I concur, PR4's are easy to mount and are great overall tires.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock29609 View Post
Thanks. I'm hoping for a comment on the Metzelers since to me they perform just as well as the Michelins for less money.

...Continental ContiRoad Attack 2 is another I'm looking at.
Metzelers are my favorite also, but they are the most difficult to mount of any tire I have used. Certainly not impossible, but you'll need to know what you are doing to get them on with irons without tearing up the beads. I haven't used irons since I found out about using zip ties.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 12:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I recently mounted a pair of Metzelers M7RR's. The went on easy and are fantastic tires that will not break the bank.

Got the pair from Rocky Mountain Atv delivered to my door for $214.

I use a harbor freight stand and a Mojo bar for the install. I guess you could spoon them on but would probably beat up the rims some.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ler-m7-rr.html

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 08:35 AM

The M7 is hands down my favorite tire. Great performance and good mileage for a sport tire.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

The M7 RR sounds great, but on my previous bikes I only get 5K miles out of a set of PR4's. I can't imagine how quickly I'd burn through a sport tire.

I'm also concerned about the profile. I like a rounder profile with a more linear lean. These look a egg shaped to make the bike dive into a turn.

EDIT: Jake Wilson has'em for the same price. Based on how the web page is laid out, looks like they're the same company.

Last edited by brock29609; 10-24-2017 at 09:25 AM.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
The M7 RR sounds great, but on my previous bikes I only get 5K miles out of a set of PR4's. I can't imagine how quickly I'd burn through a sport tire.

I'm also concerned about the profile. I like a rounder profile with a more linear lean. These look a egg shaped to make the bike dive into a turn.

EDIT: Jake Wilson has'em for the same price. Based on how the web page is laid out, looks like they're the same company.
Yes unfortunately great grip performance comes at a price. Looks like I will get about 2500 miles from the rear and probable around 4500 to 5000 miles from the front.

When I had my FZ09 I tried many different combinations. One that I really liked was a Pilot Power 3 up front and a Pilot Road 4 on the back. Could get around 4500 miles from the pair with both hitting the wear bars about the same time.

With the M7 RR's looks like it's going to be burning off 2 rears to one up front.

The roll into corners with the Metzelers is perfect. They do not dive into the corner. Just a very smooth progression. Feels like a magic carpet ride.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I got the Metzeler Roadtec Z6 (i think) and it was $140 for a set shipped to the house. They do very well, just a little squirrely over painted lines.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 12:20 PM

I installed Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs. In addition other comments I apply some rubber lube to the bead making the tires a little easier to install. I was going to go with Michelin PR4s but the price for the Dunlops with rebates was too good to pass up.

Happy with the RS IIIs have about 3K miles on them and little signs of wear no flat spot on the rear tire. When I bought the bike in the spring it had 3K miles on it rear time had a noticeable flat spot and the the tire was thread bear by 5,500 miles. Pretty sure I will get at least twice the mileage as compared to the stock tires. The bike feels much more shear footed, I don't ride really aggressively and find these tires meet my needs.

Dunlop has a $100 rebate on a pair until the end of this month. I would but these tires again.
http://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com...te_Oct_r1a.pdf
quexpress likes this.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The biggest headache for me was breaking the bead on the OEM tires. I didn't have a bead-breaker tool, so I used a narrow post-hole shovel. Even jumping on it barely did the trick! Some kind of real bead breaker tool would be my recommendation.

I used tire mounting lube and it made the job easy. I tried soapy water, but that was a failure.

I've mounted tons of bicycle tires and some smaller motorcycle road tires without problems before. The tires on my V are not road sport tires, so perhaps that was a factor in making it more work.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Buying my first tires for my '15 Versys 650. I've decided to mount them myself with some tire irons and a bead breaker.

So, I'm asking for a sport touring tire recommendation ONLY as it pertains to ease of install, as I know some brands/models are harder mount than others. I'm considering the Michelin PR4, Metzeler Roadtec, Pirelli Angel and the like.

Can anyone share a mounting experience with a particular model of street tire? Any that I should avoid due to install difficulty?
I damaged a Metzler Roadtec trying to mount it. Removing tires is easy, spooning on new tires that last little bit is amazingly difficult without risking damaging them. I would suggest removing your wheels and have someone with a motorcycle tire mounting machine do them in the 60 seconds or so it takes to mount a tire with a machine. Paying $20 per tire is worth the grief it saves plus they balance them at this cost. I do all my own maintenance at home but recently sold my tire mounting equipment, IMO, it requires a machine or a really loose tire like a tube mounted bias ply tire. Tight tolerance radials with a stiff wire bead do not mix well with home mounting. BTW a large C clamp works fine as a bead breaker.

I would not expect to see a significant difference in mounting difficulting between brands and models although really cheap tires usually use more flexible and lighter beads.

Last edited by twowheels; 10-24-2017 at 04:58 PM.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I damaged a Metzler Roadtec trying to mount it. Removing tires is easy, spooning on new tires that last little bit is amazingly difficult without risking damaging them. I would suggest removing your wheels and have someone with a motorcycle tire mounting machine do them in the 60 seconds or so it takes to mount a tire with a machine. Paying $20 per tire is worth the grief it saves plus they balance them at this cost..
If I could get tires mounted and balanced for $20 a wheel I would toss my tire machine. Unfortunately the shops here are rip off's. $40 per wheel if you take it off the bike, plus one dollar per wheel weight.

Oh yes then there is the additional $20 per wheel if you bring in your own tire that you did not buy from them.

Bunch of Communists.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I do my own tyre changes with a Motion Pro Alloy bread breaker and another lever.
I even do my Super Tenere 1200 ADV bike.

LUBE LUBE LUBE
Lube is your friend. I just use some basic tyre lube/paste.
I cut the sides out of old plastic oil containers and use them as rim protectors.
Putting the new tyre on... LUBE LUBE LUBE the bead and the tyre rim
Work the tyre bead over the rim in small sections... dont try and take a bigger bite as it wont work.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
...LUBE LUBE LUBE
Lube is your friend. I just use some basic tyre lube/paste.
I cut the sides out of old plastic oil containers and use them as rim protectors.
Putting the new tyre on... LUBE LUBE LUBE the bead and the tyre rim
Work the tyre bead over the rim in small sections... dont try and take a bigger bite as it wont work.
I'm w/ Gigitt!

-

I've used, variously, WD40, tire lube I buy at a tire dealer, and 'soapy' water.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode