Do snatchy throttle fixes apply to '15+? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Do snatchy throttle fixes apply to '15+?

I just returned from my first long trip on the Versys 650. Love the bike, but I'm tired of my '15 bucking and lurching with throttle off/on/off/on. I'm reading all about the Booster Plug, TPS turns, and vacuum lines addressing this. However, most of these comments were either posted prior to 2015 or give no clarification on whether or not they apply to the 3rd generation 2015+ models.

Does the '15 respond well to any or all of these tweaks?

Also, has anyone here bought a Power Commander and gotten it tuned? Is this the Cadillac of fixes? Worth the money? I plan on keeping this bike a long time so I don't mind spending a few bucks if it makes a big difference.

I don't really have a big need for extra power, I just want a smoother, more predictable throttle. Also, I don't have any excess slack in my chain or throttle.

FYI, I have stock air intake and exhaust and that will not change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Something Amiss

I have a 15, one thing I have is the cramp buster, are you certain your throttle cables are adjusted properly? Next would be checking your TPS voltages, although I highly doubt that is your problem but it could be, I have a post on that in How To for the 2015. With original gearing, first and second can be jerky, you need to feather the clutch and really, 1st gear is just to get rolling, many times I have started in 2nd, you will find that 4000 plus RPM is where control smooths out. I routinely engine brake all the way down to first, many times it is the last 20 feet that the brake is applied. I also installed shorty levers because I just couldn't grip the front brake easily, no matter what position I tried. I also have Barkbuster mounted for wind deflection.
aboyandhisversys likes this.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've said this before on here, and it bears repeating: I got Grip Puppies. They make the grips fatter and easier to hold onto and control, and now I have no trouble at all controlling the throttle at slow speeds.

Give them a try! They're only $25 bucks, and you can put them on in 10 minutes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grip puppies.JPG (15.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg grip.JPG (14.9 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Grip 3.JPG (52.7 KB, 70 views)

2015 650 Versys
Iron Butt Association
Injuries: 20 broken bones & 14 metal pieces
Old woman riding since 1982

The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A (wo)man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
Mark Twain

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

My aftermarket heated grips are probably as fat as stock grips w/ the Grip Puppies. They're much thicker than the stock grips.

My throttle cables are good. No slop

Last edited by brock29609; 12-02-2017 at 12:34 PM.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 10:43 PM

Garage
Try a higher octane gas-mid grade smoothed mine out real well

Deep in Cajun Country
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 09:41 AM

Garage
I had a slight problem with throttle jerky-ness, until I adjusted my throttle cable properly. I removed almost all the slack in it.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Having owned the king of throttle snatch, a first generation Yamaha FZ09, my 2015 Versys is smooth as butter by comparison.

I learned to ride the FZ pretty smoothly but it did require some effort.

It's all about wrist control. Roll the throttle on slowly and smoothly off idle when in the lower gears.

The Versys like the FZ has good low end torque so another technique that helps is to up shift one gear higher so when you roll on the throttle the initial acceleration is less abrupt.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Lube your throttle cables first, then adjust cable tension to get rid of all the slack.

Make sure there is not excess slack in chain.

Learn to feather the clutch

Ultimately the only bikes I have ridden that do not produce immediate and strong off throttle engine braking are those with a slipper clutch. I would not characterise the Versys as producing a lot of on throttle snatching compared to other bikes.

Last edited by twowheels; 11-26-2017 at 10:12 PM.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
It's just OVER a week since I rode my Gen 3 650 ('15), but I don't remember it being 'snatchy' on the throttle. Pretty much the same as my Gen 1 which I rode yesterday.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

I installed Booster Plugs on a couple of my BMWs and saw a mild improvement. I'm gonna go with a Power Commander V and hopefully my fuel mileage won't go in the crapper. Since my bike is stock there should be no mystery with the tuning. They provide a map for stock setups.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 11:37 AM

I think it in part comes down to riding style. This Gen3 motor is rev-happy and happiest when the motor is buzzing along like a swarm of angry hornets. Folks like me whose riding styles were honed on smoother motors with carbs and lots of torque down low find it more difficult to get on with the Versys. I've mostly come to grips with the snatchy fueling on the Gen3, but picking the throttle up off decel is still not quite smooth enough for my tastes, particularly in the wet and in winter slop. It also makes blip-downshifts difficult at times. I've got a Booster Plug on hand that I'll install when a get a chance. I've also got a Throttle Tamer on hand, which I may try first, as it's purely mechanical and doesn't mess with the DFI system at all. (And yes, I know all the throttle/clutch/dragging rear brake tricks: 30+ years of dirt, street and even some track (and trials!) experience has taught me that, and I took all the slop out of the throttle before I even rode the bike home from the dealer -- hate those factory free play settings.)
quexpress likes this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.

Last edited by Doug Just Doug; 10-25-2017 at 09:59 AM.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 12:06 AM

Garage
Being I find the Versys throttle smooth-I never have been able to understand what people are talking about-than I thought about it-I would like to know what type of fueling system they learned to ride on-because way back before FI before CV carbs we had slide carbs you had to roll them slow or the bike would fall on it's face-and if you rode British those slide Amal's were even harder to roll slow without the bike spitting-so I guess it's all how you were taught

Deep in Cajun Country
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 09:56 AM

Garage
It has to do with the roll on/off . hard to gradually add acceleration when it is a on/off.

Just because I am Deaf does not mean I can not roar.

Long distance two stroke scooter rider moving onto even longer touring.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

I ordered a Power Commander V. I'll report back with my results. I'm considering adding the Auto Tune module as well, if I can install their wide-band O2 sensor in the same hole that holds the stock sensor.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock29609 View Post
I ordered a Power Commander V. I'll report back with my results. I'm considering adding the Auto Tune module as well, if I can install their wide-band O2 sensor in the same hole that holds the stock sensor.
What sorta results did you notice from your PC V ?

I am a new owner of a 15 650 LT and am experiencing some on/off abruptness that you described.

I had a Throttle Tamer on my FZ-09 and believe they work....maybe not eliminate the problem but help you control it

For a lot less than a PC V.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter56 View Post
What sorta results did you notice from your PC V ?
Still TBD, believe it or not. I've been waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for my new Wilbers shock to come in. The first shock came in waaaay over sprung so I had to send it back. I ordered this shock in July and as of today (Nov 27) I still don't have it. However, the replacement is coming UPS today.

I should get it installed tonight and I'll be on the road one day this week. Stay tuned.

Edit: I'm intrigued by these throttle tamers. Just ordered one off of Amazon.

Last edited by brock29609; 11-27-2017 at 09:21 AM.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 09:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock29609 View Post
Since my bike is stock there should be no mystery with the tuning. They provide a map for stock setups.
On that note, I would suggest trying the accelerator pump function for the off/on transition. My 09 is very sensitive at off/on and all stock.(staying that way) A stock dynojet map or even a zero map plus the "pump" may go a long way. I work in a shop with a Dyno(we used to do a lot of race stuff) and nothing smoothed the (on track)transition on my 08 GSXR750 racer than adding it on.(pc3 at the time and was an add on feature)

After some winter month fiddling for an improvement, it will be my next step if I'm not satisfied with the other fixes.

Brad, Suwanee Ga.
'09 V650, several others too!
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

I believe that someone on the Forum (probably another thread...) posted that his 'lurching' calmed-down as he got to over 1,500 miles on his Gen 3.

FWIW - I don't notice ANY of that on my '15 (has 51,620 kms, 32,075 miles), and I haven't done anything like a PCV.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

I believe that someone on the Forum (probably another thread...) posted that his 'lurching' calmed-down as he got to over 1,500 miles on his Gen 3.

FWIW - I don't notice ANY of that on my '15 (has 51,620 kms - 32,075 miles), and I haven't done anything like a PC V.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 11-28-2017 at 01:02 PM.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

I think our differences in experiences might have to do with the types of roads we ride due to where we live. I didn't notice lurching at all during my city riding when I first got the bike, but after 5 straight days of tight Appalachian twisties it drove me nuts in all the tight turns.
Brad906 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode