Fuel Smell While Riding - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Fuel Smell While Riding

I have a 2008 V with just over 10k. My fuel tank seems to vent gas vapors that are more noticeable when the outside temp is over 106 degrees. I was wondering if my fuel cap isn't sealing properly or not tight enough. It's a little overwhelming being in a full face helmet in that kind of heat and then having too much fuel vapor right there. Any ideas?

Thanks!

"Well-behaved women seldom make history" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 10:13 PM

I don't think we're ignoring you Clay... I'll be the first to reply that I have no clue. Hope someone here can contribute a little more useful info for you.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 04:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Maybe try using better ethanol-free gasoline that doesn't evaporate as quickly... 106+F is ridiculously hot though.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 07:48 AM

Claypgn, I have an 08 as well. I frequently get a whiff of gasoline while riding. Coming to a stop and left turns seem to be when it is most noticeable. I have tried cleaning around the cap. I even squirted a little wd40 down the overflow to see if it was blocked. I have had my V for a little over a year. I only noticed the odor over the last couple months. I am just living with it but a solution would be more than welcome.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

i May stop by the dealer to see if they can tell if the cap is sealing properly. I probably can't get there till next weekend.

Invader - Phoenix uses "Summer Blend" fuel - no getting around what is available. I only run Chevron Super.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 11:13 AM

i'm in your neck of the woods. The 09 does it as well. I think it has something to do with the pressure release or whatever. The crazy heat causes it to expand, but really i have no clue. I just never bothered to worry about it.

I usually notice it when i stop. I rode yesterday when it was 114 and i didn't have a chance to review things when i got home b/c i was so hot. I almost needed a medic.

I use shell or chev 91 most of the time.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Mine did it until i got a keyless gas cap. Now the only 2 times i've smelled gas is when i over filled it and once i just left the gas station and could smell a strong gas odor,looked at the tank and saw i had left the gas cap on the pump at the station.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 11:28 PM

Everything smells at 106f.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 11:56 AM

I have had my V for over 4 years, and the fuel smell happens occasionally, and somewhat randomly. But now that I think about it, it happens more in the early Spring. Its now August, and I've not smelled it for several weeks.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info. I may look into the keyless cap. It's been 116 the past 4 days on my ride home. I soak down a tee shirt before I leave work and it is dry within 2 miles. I still feel cooler when I get home but, that is all relative. So, I guess I haven't spent much time to smell for gas lately.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 11:41 PM
MTS

2010 V never smelled any gas yet!

Some people would probably pay for a good hit of gas!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 08-11-2012 at 12:41 AM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
Everything smells at 106f.
True, very true!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode