Tire tread 'gouge'? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2012, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tire tread 'gouge'?

Noticed this on my back tire tread the other day. I can't quite tell if it's from a bad reaction to normal wear, or or because of interaction with a piece of metal or something. It's not particularly concerning to me initially; but I figured it would be worth seeing if it's a one-off or perhaps a sign of bad things to come. These are the stockers with 2123 miles on them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2012, 07:42 PM

I'm no expert, however I know from personal experience and from other comments on this forum that the stock rubber that comes on the V is just, how should i say this ..Meh

I'd firstly check out the manufacture date of those Tires which is in a code printed on the sidewall. It will be the last four digits (for tires made in the year 2000 or later) in a string of letters and numbers starting with DOT. The first two digits are the week of manufacture, and the last two digits are the year of manufacture. For example, if it says DOT817AD472200, look at the last four digits. 2200 means that your tire was made in the 22nd week of the year 2000.

If its anything around 3 years old I would think about replacing...makes a big change having decent rubber on the V.

Judging by your list of mods it seems your not adverse to spending a bit of coin on your baby, I recon new hoops will be the best money you could spend on your V by far. (I am in no way affiliated with any Tire Manufacturer :P)

Last edited by sambamboo; 08-03-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:42 PM

looks like you drove over a good sized stone.. no worries

Old 08-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter650 View Post
looks like you drove over a good sized stone.. no worries
Me TOO - just keep an eye on it.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in