Accessory socket setup - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Accessory socket setup

Hey'all

I'm close to hitting the 600-mile mark on my newly acquired Versys that I'm loving so far .

So my plan this weekend is to do the first oil change and also a bit of mods by installing the accessory sockets.

I know there are a million threads about it already but more than asking for guidance, I want to share what I have in mind for my setup and see what is your feedback/experiences or recommendations.

I'll go with the existing relay connection with the relay kit and a 2-USB + Voltage indicator socket on the left side.

Now, for the right side accessory socket, I'll do a waterproof 12V socket straight to the battery (so I can use it for trickle charge/battery tender purposes If I need to store the bike for the winter).

Let me know your thoughts!!

Up next for me will be the heated grips (I already got the BikeMaster ones from ~$35 from Amazon) So the only change also coming with the changes above will be splitting the wires out of the relay for that purpose... Really glad I haven't needed them yet

I'll update when I'm done with this (If I don't short-circuit my whole wiring harness)

'17 Versys 650 ABS - mods/adds:
- Heated grips
- RD Moto crash bars
- H&B center stand
- Dash: 2-port USB charger and 12V socket

Last edited by versysleo; 10-19-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 01:26 PM

Garage
Like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171006_180549_1508433965750.jpg (33.6 KB, 123 views)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indelibility View Post
Like this?
Haha this guy knows what he's talking about!
How's the dual charger working for you?

Just that I'm lucky enough to have the gear indicator in my dash (2017 ftw - not boasting or anything :smile: ). So I had a spare right socket to figure out what to do with.

- Heated grips
- RD Moto crash bars
- H&B center stand

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I don't have the gear indicator, so I have power outlets on both: one is a dual USB (left), the other one is a cigarette plug with another dual USB (you can never have enough outlets )
GPS, Tablet, Phone, Sena, GoPro.....
Yes, I charge them during ride
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quad power outlet.jpg (77.5 KB, 85 views)

Versys 2015 Green
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 04:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by versysleo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indelibility View Post
Like this?
Haha this guy knows what he's talking about!
How's the dual charger working for you?

Just that I'm lucky enough to have the gear indicator in my dash (2017 ftw - not boasting or anything :smile: ). So I had a spare right socket to figure out what to do with.
It works like a charm! Nice having the current voltage easily readable and charging the phone for long travels is a must.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 05:31 PM

Garage
I had that same USB outlet with the voltage reading.....it lasted about 8 months and fell apart.
I replaced it with just a regular 2 port USB outlet..so far so good on this one

2016 green V1K
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
...Now, for the right side accessory socket, I'll do a waterproof 12V socket straight to the battery (so I can use it for trickle charge/battery tender purposes If I need to store the bike for the winter)....Let me know your thoughts!!....
I would suggest AGAINST having your 12V socket directly hooked up to the battery.

AT LEAST put a fuse into the line for protection...!

BTW - during 'winter-storage' it would probably be a good idea to remove the battery, then setup the charger EXTERNALLY to the bike.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 10-19-2017 at 06:44 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
AT LEAST put a fuse into the line for protection...!
Yes, yes! the setup I'm installing comes with a fuse. I also like it that way since I use it with my tire pump which I'm used to running without worrying too much about the circuit I'm connecting to (I just make sure I use it with the bike on so it won't kill my battery).

Also, I don't want to take out the battery for the winter since I take the slightest opportunity of a not-so-cold weather to go out and ride. I don't store my bike for 2-3 months straight.

Finally, what I'm looking for is how to connect the heated grips to the accessory socket included for that (according to the owners manual is under the left middle fairing) - I still have to take it apart and look into it... but, does it need another relay as well? Anyone has a picture of it working for heated grips? (yes, yes I need to search more )

Thanks!

- Heated grips
- RD Moto crash bars
- H&B center stand
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Dash or handlebar .. Fused for battery connection.
https://bikemaster.com/12v-power-ada...ith-mount.html
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
...Finally, what I'm looking for is how to connect the heated grips to the accessory socket included for that (according to the owners manual is under the left middle fairing) - I still have to take it apart and look into it... but, does it need another relay as well? Anyone has a picture of it working for heated grips? (yes, yes I need to search more )

Thanks!
The "relay" powers up three areas, if I'm remembering right (mine's a '15), but ONLY has a 5 amp capability.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 10-22-2017 at 03:08 PM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 06:20 PM

Garage
I used the stock relay kit on my 2012 V and it was definitely the way to go. A few minutes with a rotary tool made the stock 12v mounting bracket fit a cheap $10 one off amazon. I have my oxford heated grips plugged into the relay as well as my 12v socket.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 12:53 PM

No need to hook up Oxford grips over a relay. I have installed three pairs on different bikes, all connected to parking light. Parking light wire circuit is fused. That's enough. IMO...

Anders B.
Sweden
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I would suggest wiring leads to the battery for the trickle charger. There will be a connector on the end of the leads with a cover to keep it waterproof. Hide the connector in a slightly inconspicuous spot and/or under the seat. Then just plug the battery tender into the connector when you want to charge.

The same connector could be used for an electric air pump. Have a fuse in the line just to be safe.

There's no need to go to the hassle of fitting a plug into the dashboard just for your battery tender or air pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in