Premature Chain Failure - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Premature Chain Failure

Any of you guys experienced premature chain failure on your 2012 V? A buddy of mine is now on his 3rd chain and we only had the bikes (new) in April this year. Mileage done so far is just 7k km. The oem chain lasted about 5k while the 2nd which was a DID gold lasted just under 2k. His chain just kinks up and the o rings shreds off.

I have had no problem with my bike other than losing my exhaust cap (which just fell off ... crappy tag weld ) and the oem chain is doing fine though the dunlops are toast. Our regular mechanic has had 3 cases of such chain failure (including my buddy's).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 09:15 PM

One thought: Assuming sprockets aren't worn, make sure rear sprocket is aligned with front sprocket. If it's off, it puts a lot of stress on the chain. Here's a link to a decent article: http://www.sportrider.com/suspension...ent/index.html

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #3 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I just ordered one of these.http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=20440 ..I always feel like my chain makes too much noise.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 09:43 PM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 01:43 PM.
post #5 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for your insights. The bikes are both new and there was no abnormal wear on both front and rear sprockets. Anyhow we will pay special attention on both chain alignment and chain slack and see how this new chain will perform. What really bugs me is how did this happen? Sort of puts a damper on our plans to do a 10k km ride to Laos end of this year.

ps We both had scottoilers on our bikes from day 1
post #6 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 12:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My original 2007 Versys chain was stretched unevenly was the start, and I replaced it for a DID VM520 gold at 4600 kms. The DID VM is still perfect at 15000 kms.

What type of oil do you use in chain oiler? You ride in a lot of sand? Chain alignment and tension appeared to be properly set?
post #7 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

We use scottoil red high temperature oil for warmer climate. We ride mostly on road and our weather is tropical (meaning wet n dry).

During the 2nd chain installation and set up my buddy was on the bike (to load the bike) prior to seting the chain tension/slack. The wheel alignment was then fine tuned and nuts tightened. The next day we departed for a 2k km ride to Thailand. When we reached our destination (after about 1k km) we found the chain's o rings have started to come off and some were already shredded and a grating noise was coming off around the front sprocket area. This was a set of DID Gold chain. We limped our way back home after the trip and had the chain replaced again with another set of DID Gold. This is where we are at right now. Was it a bad production batch? We don't really know and still don't know what caused it.

By the way it might be a good idea to check your exhaust cap on your 2012 coz mine just dropped off along the way. It was only held on by a short 20mm fillet weld to exhaust pipe instead of a full weld.

post #8 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob7711 View Post
During the 2nd chain installation and set up my buddy was on the bike (to load the bike) prior to seting the chain tension/slack. The wheel alignment was then fine tuned and nuts tightened. The next day we departed for a 2k km ride to Thailand. When we reached our destination (after about 1k km) we found the chain's o rings have started to come off and some were already shredded and a grating noise was coming off around the front sprocket area. This was a set of DID Gold chain...
So the rear suspension was only slightly compressed. How much slack did you give the chain then? If close to none, chain was too tight and overheated.

Last edited by invader; 08-02-2012 at 03:41 AM.
post #9 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 03:38 AM

Exactly which gold DID chain model was it? All their chain grades are available in gold... Were they O-rings or X-rings? What is stamped on the chain plates?

Last edited by invader; 08-02-2012 at 03:46 AM.
post #10 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

There was a good 1 inch (25mm) of slack with him on board then ... he weighs over 200lbs.
post #11 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

They were X rings. Another similar set is now on the bike and we will see how this set will hold out. In the meanwhile my oem chain is doing just fine.
post #12 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 04:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob7711 View Post

By the way it might be a good idea to check your exhaust cap on your 2012 coz mine just dropped off along the way. It was only held on by a short 20mm fillet weld to exhaust pipe instead of a full weld.

Mine exhaust cap came off while a Friend pushed on it with his toe, not much pressure. Kawasaki replaced it no charge since the bike was still under factory warranty.

Ride while you can
post #13 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 05:06 AM Thread Starter

I think mine probably failed at the weld from high frequency vibes. Looking at the weld I think there was hardly any penetration on the exhaust cap ... just poor and inadequate welding. Haven't found the time to send the bike to dealer for warranty claim yet.
post #14 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 05:13 AM

Wow, this is pretty strange. Signing up to this thread to see what the outcome will be. 2 chains toasted, one OEM, one aftermarket (which would seem to rule out bad batch of chains). Alignment and tension are good. Does it sound/look like it's meshing properly with the front sprocket? You mentioned the grating noise after the o-rings were shredded, how about before, any noise? Could there be some contaminant in the scottoiler lube that is eating the o-rings?
post #15 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 05:18 AM

One of my swingarm spools snapped off after a small get-off recently. Not much of a weld there either. Easy repair, fortunately.
post #16 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
Wow, this is pretty strange. Signing up to this thread to see what the outcome will be. 2 chains toasted, one OEM, one aftermarket (which would seem to rule out bad batch of chains). Alignment and tension are good. Does it sound/look like it's meshing properly with the front sprocket? You mentioned the grating noise after the o-rings were shredded, how about before, any noise? Could there be some contaminant in the scottoiler lube that is eating the o-rings?
When the 2nd chain was installed everything seemed fine. After doing 1k km the next day the grating noise started. That's when we inspected the chain and found the o rings coming off. On the return leg the chain started to kink up with some links forming "^" and I guess that's what was causing the grating sounds. Still haven't a clue how this happened to 2 sets of chain!

Contaminant in the scotoiler? Hmmm ... will check that out but it's unlikely as we both used oil from scottoiler.
post #17 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 08:20 AM

Another thought - could the DID chains you are using be counterfeit?

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #18 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 09:04 AM

Possible a counterfeit DID that comes from Thailand. Any identification numbers or details? Where did you buy it? If you still have this details, I can ask my friend (Malaysia DID main importer) to trace this. Thanks.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #19 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

I doubt that the chain is a counterfeit chain as the workshop was replacing the chain without cost. Furthermore the workshop is known to both of us and is reliable. Between my buddy and myself, we have 7 bikes that are maintained by this workshop.
post #20 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Besides it still does not explain why the oem chain also failed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode