TPS Adjustment / Boosterplug opinions?/ ECU Flash - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
TPS Adjustment / Boosterplug opinions?/ ECU Flash

Hey guys! I'm a subscriber to a Youtuber named Andy Man Cam, a delightful English chap currently living in ye olde Deutschland! I quite enjoy his sense of humour and general outlook on life... He rides a 2007 V650! Makes sense!

Anyways, he has videos where he installs and reviews farkles... One mod he installed particularly interested me.. The booster plug and I was wondering if anyone on here has installed it?

Cheers for your thoughts and opinions!
Lours_Polaire and Buffalo_Bob like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Cool I have it and like it very much!

I have had it on my 2015 Versys 650 all summer.

I decided to purchase it after having read numerous positive reviews on other forums (UK Versys forum, ADV Rider forum, etc.).

The only negative posts that I have found about it is from people who have never tried it. IMHO these are therefore only opinions ... and I did not want to make my choice based on that.

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat!!! It does everything as described on the Boosterplug website. If you want more specific information, download the FI manual on the website. IMHO it is very well done. It gives an excellent explanation of motorcycle fuel injection.

Note: I have no association with Boosterplug. I'm just a satisfied "user".
Lours_Polaire likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangles View Post
Hey guys! I'm a subscriber to a Youtuber named Andy Man Cam, a delightful English chap currently living in ye olde Deutschland! I quite enjoy his sense of humour and general outlook on life... He rides a 2007 V650! Makes sense!

Anyways, he has videos where he installs and reviews farkles... One mod he installed particularly interested me.. The booster plug and I was wondering if anyone on here has installed it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdkS...4nGFXpjzoldBQV

andy is a member here FYI , and ya he has a bunch of great vids on the V

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post

I decided to purchase it after having read numerous positive reviews on other forums (UK Versys forum, ADV Rider forum, etc.).

The only negative posts that I have found about it is from people who have never tried it. IMHO these are therefore only opinions ... and I did not want to make my choice based on that.

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat!!! It does everything as described on the Boosterplug website. If you want more specific information, download the FI manual on the website. IMHO it is very well done. It gives an excellent explanation of motorcycle fuel injection.

Sounds good so far! Have you noticed a change in your fuel economy? I've heard anecdotally that while the plug injects more fuel, you actually see a small rise in fuel economy for reasons I don't feel like stressing my brain over at the moment.

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Sounds good so far! Have you noticed a change in your fuel economy? I've heard anecdotally that while the plug injects more fuel, you actually see a small rise in fuel economy for reasons I don't feel like stressing my brain over at the moment.
I did not notice any change in the fuel economy. Apparently (as per other reviews) it is very similar.
However I must admit that fuel economy on any of my bikes has never been one of my priorities.

I just shuffle slower.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Reluctant to Comment

First the video is not a MK-3 , the MK-3 has a oxygen sensor, really not sure if the video being a UK bike has the oxygen sensor or not. If it had then it would be closed loop the same as the MK-3, since I have done some research into this with the TPS, I can tell you that the huge change adjusting the North American version MK-1 and MK-2 TPS , only changes the fuel economy on the MK-3, no other difference.
I went and did a search, http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ht=boosterplug and no real definitive posting here either.
IMHO a change as has been suggested in this thread http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ates-bike.html to the ECU would be a much better investment.What you get in the booster plug is a external temperature sensor and a scaled input to the ECU to indicate the air temperature is 20 'F cooler, so a sensor, a scaling resistor and some blocking diodes and possibly a chip set, with two plugs.Several ways of accomplishing this. One would be to install a sensor in parallel , scale it to reduce the input resistance value, the second would be to put it in series and scale it.
I just looked at the wiring diagram, identified as #41 , described service manual 3-53.From the manual:
Intake Air Temperature Sensor Resistance
Standard: 5.4 ∼ 6.6 kΩ @0C (32F)
0.290 ∼ 0.390 kΩ @80C (176F)
If the reading is out of the standard, replace the sensor
(see Intake Air Temperature Sensor Removal/Installation).
If the reading is within the standard, but the problem still
exists, replace the ECU (see ECU Removal/Installation).

As you can see, the warmer it is , the lower the resistance, that is, a increase in resistance = a lower temperature.

I just might experiment, total cost about $0.90
twowheels, jaaklucas and Gangles like this.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 12:24 AM

I have the boosterplug, have been using it for 3 days now. Fuel economy has gone up a bit but it does what it promises.
The biggest issue (only) i had with the bike is the digital behaviour of the trottle response. Slow driving has been a bitch because it really acts on and off, like there's hardly anything between the trottle position. So for me it takes off the really sharp edges of the bike. It made my commuting a lot more pleasant.
quexpress likes this.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freubel View Post
I have the boosterplug, have been using it for 3 days now. Fuel economy has gone up a bit but it does what it promises.
The biggest issue (only) i had with the bike is the digital behaviour of the trottle response. Slow driving has been a bitch because it really acts on and off, like there's hardly anything between the trottle position. So for me it takes off the really sharp edges of the bike. It made my commuting a lot more pleasant.
Have you ever done the TPS adjustment that I and many others did? Also do you have a oxygen sensor in your bike, my understanding is it was introduced in the UK in 2010?
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 10:03 AM

Garage
I've had the BoosterPlug for about 6 months on my Gen2. I can say for sure that there is an improvement in throttle control. Almost exactly what Andy describes in his video is my experience. No more burning the clutch to keep smooth roll on the throttle around low speed corners.

However, I have recently noticed poor fuel economy. I don't know if its from the BoosterPlug or not. I really don't keep track of MPG's, especially in town commuting, which is most of my riding. Last weekend I rode over to eastern Oregon and back. I thought I would make the 220mi trip in one tank but was still 40mi from home and down to 1 gal left so I filled up. Turns out I was getting 44mpg. That seems low even with the kind of mountain riding I had done.

I say all that to say, I am going to do some testing and take some numbers with and without the BoosterPlug. Also I am right at 15K so I need to do the valves and sync the throttle bodies. If anything of interest comes up I will post what I find.

Ed

2011 Versys 650

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent... Proverbs 17:28
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Have you ever done the TPS adjustment that I and many others did? Also do you have a oxygen sensor in your bike, my understanding is it was introduced in the UK in 2010?
Nope, it's a 2008 model and "it" lives in the Netherlands.
I think you mean the vacume trick ?
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

TPS mod

Quote:
Nope, it's a 2008 model and "it" lives in the Netherlands.
I think you mean the vacume trick ?
No I meant the TPS mod, I had a 2007 , huge difference.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...?highlight=tps
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post

Where did you order it from (here in Canada?), and what did it cost?

Quote:
First the video is not a MK-3 , the MK-3 has a oxygen sensor, really not sure if the video being a UK bike has the oxygen sensor or not....
I've been under the impression that ALL the "European" Vs are 'closed-loop'....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 04:32 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Where did you order it from (here in Canada?), and what did it cost?
I ordered it directly from Boosterplug on Ebay on Dec 26, 2016.
It cost me $149.95 USD delivered to my door in Canada.

I just shuffle slower.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naitramde View Post
I've had the BoosterPlug for about 6 months on my Gen2. I can say for sure that there is an improvement in throttle control. Almost exactly what Andy describes in his video is my experience. No more burning the clutch to keep smooth roll on the throttle around low speed corners.
On my Gen 3 Versys 650, even with a 44T rear sprocket, I can slowly release the clutch without touching the throttle and the bike will advance smoothly without any hiccups, etc. I also tested this while entering my garage where there is a slight uphill slope.

I just shuffle slower.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Experiment Here We Come

Quote:
First the video is not a MK-3 , the MK-3 has a oxygen sensor, really not sure if the video being a UK bike has the oxygen sensor or not. If it had then it would be closed loop the same as the MK-3, since I have done some research into this with the TPS, I can tell you that the huge change adjusting the North American version MK-1 and MK-2 TPS , only changes the fuel economy on the MK-3, no other difference.
I went and did a search, http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ht=boosterplug and no real definitive posting here either.
IMHO a change as has been suggested in this thread http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ates-bike.html to the ECU would be a much better investment.What you get in the booster plug is a external temperature sensor and a scaled input to the ECU to indicate the air temperature is 20 'F cooler, so a sensor, a scaling resistor and some blocking diodes and possibly a chip set, with two plugs.Several ways of accomplishing this. One would be to install a sensor in parallel , scale it to reduce the input resistance value, the second would be to put it in series and scale it.
I just looked at the wiring diagram, identified as #41 , described service manual 3-53.From the manual:
Intake Air Temperature Sensor Resistance
Standard: 5.4 ∼ 6.6 kΩ @0C (32F)
0.290 ∼ 0.390 kΩ @80C (176F)
If the reading is out of the standard, replace the sensor
(see Intake Air Temperature Sensor Removal/Installation).
If the reading is within the standard, but the problem still
exists, replace the ECU (see ECU Removal/Installation).

As you can see, the warmer it is , the lower the resistance, that is, a increase in resistance = a lower temperature.

I just might experiment, total cost about $0.90
Not paying $149 for a $0.90 resistor I am going to assume the temperature sensor is linear. I have calculated that 1 degree F is = to 44 ohms, I am never going to be in a situation where the intake air is 176'F , even if I am idling, so I picked 155'F for a maximum value. I have noticed a marked improvement when the temperature is 60'F or less, pulls better, more responsive, I assumed it was the colder air expanding when heated in the combustion chamber. So I intend to drop the input temperature by 20 'F which is 876 ohms using a 1/4 watt resistor.
Buffalo_Bob likes this.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Not paying $149 for a $0.90 resistor I am going to assume the temperature sensor is linear. I have calculated that 1 degree F is = to 44 ohms, I am never going to be in a situation where the intake air is 176'F , even if I am idling, so I picked 155'F for a maximum value. I have noticed a marked improvement when the temperature is 60'F or less, pulls better, more responsive, I assumed it was the colder air expanding when heated in the combustion chamber. So I intend to drop the input temperature by 20 'F which is 876 ohms using a 1/4 watt resistor.
You have the skill set to do it, go for it.
In my case I did not have that skill AND I wanted it NOW. For me, it was and is still well worth it because it's a very easy plug and play install which functions flawlessly. It made my Versys much more enjoyable to ride.

I just shuffle slower.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
No I meant the TPS mod, I had a 2007 , huge difference.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...?highlight=tps
Ok... that sounds good. Thank you for pointing that out. Any chance the 2 pictures that show the before and after position of the sensor are still to be found somewhere ? I'd sure as hell have a go at it.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

Invader / Photos

Quote:
Ok... that sounds good. Thank you for pointing that out. Any chance the 2 pictures that show the before and after position of the sensor are still to be found somewhere ? I'd sure as hell have a go at it.
Unless Invader sees this post, I have done a search, they are all gone, the only one is with his meter doing the measurement of VDC. In reality, using the volt meter is the correct way to go as I bought the optional wire harness and have done this to my 2015. Due to having a oxygen sensor there is no benefit on the 2015 having a closed loop, however on the 2007, before I did it I considered selling the bike after 3 months, after I read the post and moved the sensor, you would have needed to offer me more than I payed for the bike, I sold it in the spring of 2016 and bought the 2015 650 ABS Versys.
So the instructions of using a meter are valid and IMHO the better way to go, 0.010 of a inch can change close to .5 of a volt, it takes very little movement, I suggest getting the optional harness, measure the voltage what you have, thenfollow the instructions in the post. My post is 55 of that link.
16VGTIDave likes this.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:

Hi,
I insalled the boosterplug this summer 1 month after buying my versys 2013.
I did not like the ?on/off? feeling of the throttle and, to be honest, I was not very happy with the bike because of that.
Installed the plug and the on/off feeling is now just an old bad memory..
quexpress likes this.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 04:07 PM

Cool A few "user" comments

i.e.: riders who have tried it on their bikes.

BoosterPlug is my HERO! Smooth throttle

Boosterplug Review - much smoother biker

Boosterplug. Got one, tried it...

Boosterplug

Product Review BoosterPlug

... and the list of happy users keeps growing ...

As mentioned previously, I have been using it on my Gen 3 650 for this whole season. I only have one regret. I shouldn't have waited until this year. I should have installed it last year.

I just shuffle slower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode