• 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By hawkerjet
  • 2 Post By Fastoman
  • 1 Post By salnap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Oil capacity at oil change

2011 V650. Owners manual says 2.0quarts required when changing oil and filter. When I do an oil & filter change I need something like 2.4 quarts to bring the oil level up to the full mark. 2.0 quarts barely reaches the low oil mark. Bike is level on paddock stand.

Is this common?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Mine (a Gen III) takes two quarts and it's right in the middle of the window. That's with filter of course.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
kinda depends on if you warm the bike up befor changing the oil and if every drop gets out, on my mk1 it sasys 1.8Qt without changing filter(who does that?)2QT with filter change and 2.5QT when engine is dry, i think they give that range so you dont over fill the motor with oil when doing a oil change and it doesnt all drain out

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
2011 V650. Owners manual says 2.0quarts required when changing oil and filter. When I do an oil & filter change I need something like 2.4 quarts to bring the oil level up to the full mark. 2.0 quarts barely reaches the low oil mark. Bike is level on paddock stand.

Is this common?
I would suggest that you check the oil-level w/ the bike LEVEL (on the ground), not on a paddock stand. My 2 Vs show the oil-level as LOW on a stand, but CORRECT w/ wheels on the ground, bike held upright.
SlowIsSmooth likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I would suggest that you check the oil-level w/ the bike LEVEL (on the ground), not on a paddock stand. My 2 Vs show the oil-level as LOW on a stand, but CORRECT w/ wheels on the ground, bike held upright.
I stand corrected. Fast Eddie is right. I just tried this again on my V650 and to my amazement the oil sight gauge does show a bit lower with the back wheel off the ground on the paddock stand. Must be an oil sucking Chupacabra lurking in my engine...Lol.

Moral of the story??? Never doubt the Super Moderator!

Good one Eddie.

Cheers.
Fastoman likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

Last edited by hawkerjet; 10-08-2017 at 10:29 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 04:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Thank you!!!
You are absolutely right.
Although I had the bike suspended on both ends. May it wasn't as level as I thought it was.
Again, thank you.

Media, PA
Versys 650ABS/ 2017
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 05:43 PM

Garage
Recommended Engine Oil
Type: API SG, SH, SJ, SL or SM with JASO MA,
MA1 or MA2
Viscosity: SAE 10W-40
Capacity:
1.6 L (1.7 US qt) (When filter is not removed.)
1.8 L (1.9 US qt) (When filter is removed.)
2.3 L (2.4 US qt) (When engine is completely dry.) (personal experience take around 3.4 QT when changing the Clutch)

Oil Level Inspection
•Check that the engine oil level is between the upper [A] and lower [B] levels in the oil level inspection window.
NOTE
○Situate the motorcycle so that it is perpendicular to the ground.
○If the motorcycle has just been used, wait several minutes for all the oil to drain down.
○If the oil has just been changed, start the engine and run it for several minutes at idle speed. This fills the oil filter with oil. Stop the engine, then wait several minutes until the oil settles.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
This was discussed some years back for Gen 1 and we always fill slightly higher than the line on the sight glass. about 2.4litres.
DaveC and Crimson Apple like this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

I noticed that having the bike perfectly level is important even a slight lean left or right makes a fairly significant difference. With the bike on a level surface kick stand down front wheel strait, from the right side of the bike pull it upright until you feel the weight tipping over to the right i.e. the bike just starting to fall towards you, then push back to the upright position, there is a point where you are neither pushing or pulling the bike is level. With the bike leaning even just a few inches throws off the oil level in the sight glass.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 02:02 PM

Garage
this is where a wheel chock like baxley or even HF comes in handy
Jack of Heats JoH likes this.

09 V650
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 03:34 PM

2.4 quarts is for a completely dry engine, which is not the case when changing the oil and filter... My 2007 takes 2.2 quarts after a very thorough draining.

Yes it must be held upright and balanced against gravity, as when you can let it go and it stands up by itself for a moment.

Was there not a reduction in oil capacity for late model Versys 650 with oil pan change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode