LED bulb kit - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
LED bulb kit

Gentlemen... I have already completed this modification, however I thought that since visibilitity is such an important part of riding, and there can be many hard to specifically answer questions, to compile a list of questions for each headlight kit!

I used the Cyclops LED kit: https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.c...Kit_p_100.html

I found that this kit puts out more lumens = the bright stuff, than other kits for a relatively comparable price.

I own a Mk3 V, this kit is made for older versions of the V (I&II), and so the instructions are not exactly what you would call.... Instructions...

Overall, I have found this kit to actually be a liability, for those of us DIY'ers that may have limited tools and experiences swapping out headlights/LED conversions...

The following are my thoughts:

The bulb is VERY bright, and with fine tuning should serve the rider well for years... That said... This bulb is a PITA to install. Seriously.

I read the instructions multiple times, and ultimately threw them out because they simply do not apply to the Mk3 Versys. The plastic spacer that is supplied simply makes installation nigh on impossible, even AFTER removing the headlight fairing in attempt to make installation easier, GET RID OF IT. Ultimately, after I got rid of the plastic spacer, installation was made a LOT easier. There will still be some fandangling in order to properly seat and fit the bulb, but it will be made infinitely easier after getting rid of the plastic spacer, and with minor modification to the retaining clips, will still sufficiently hold the bulb in place. I personally ran into issues because I stripped the retention clip hole and thus was unable to properly secure the pivot point of the retention clip until I installed a larger thread screw.

The Mk3V headlight dust cover boot requires an uncomfortable amount of modification in order to make this kit work... And in future I would simply order dust covers with a hole cut out for the LED heat sink pre-cut out. This is partly in commendation to the Kawasaki engineers, they clearly meant the OEM headlights to last forever... However.. This makes aftermarket modification... annoying to say the least...

Overall... Would I recommend this kit? It is bright, to be sure, as 4,000 lumens is quite a lot of light... However the kit necessitates compromising the integrity of the weather(time)proof boot. I am very strongly considering buying generic automotive LED rubber boots to properly weather seal the bulbs... However I don't think I can recommend this kit in good conscience. I think money would be better spent on perhaps a lesser kit in terms of lumen output, which may perhas work better with the overall Mk3V kit.

Thanks for viewing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
MK-3 / Similar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangles View Post
Gentlemen... I have already completed this modification, however I thought that since visibilitity is such an important part of riding, and there can be many hard to specifically answer questions, to compile a list of questions for each headlight kit!

I used the Cyclops LED kit: https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.c...Kit_p_100.html

I found that this kit puts out more lumens = the bright stuff, than other kits for a relatively comparable price.

I own a Mk3 V, this kit is made for older versions of the V (I&II), and so the instructions are not exactly what you would call.... Instructions...

Overall, I have found this kit to actually be a liability, for those of us DIY'ers that may have limited tools and experiences swapping out headlights/LED conversions...

The following are my thoughts:

The bulb is VERY bright, and with fine tuning should serve the rider well for years... That said... This bulb is a PITA to install. Seriously.

I read the instructions multiple times, and ultimately threw them out because they simply do not apply to the Mk3 Versys. The plastic spacer that is supplied simply makes installation nigh on impossible, even AFTER removing the headlight fairing in attempt to make installation easier, GET RID OF IT. Ultimately, after I got rid of the plastic spacer, installation was made a LOT easier. There will still be some fandangling in order to properly seat and fit the bulb, but it will be made infinitely easier after getting rid of the plastic spacer, and with minor modification to the retaining clips, will still sufficiently hold the bulb in place. I personally ran into issues because I stripped the retention clip hole and thus was unable to properly secure the pivot point of the retention clip until I installed a larger thread screw.

The Mk3V headlight dust cover boot requires an uncomfortable amount of modification in order to make this kit work... And in future I would simply order dust covers with a hole cut out for the LED heat sink pre-cut out. This is partly in commendation to the Kawasaki engineers, they clearly meant the OEM headlights to last forever... However.. This makes aftermarket modification... annoying to say the least...

Overall... Would I recommend this kit? It is bright, to be sure, as 4,000 lumens is quite a lot of light... However the kit necessitates compromising the integrity of the weather(time)proof boot. I am very strongly considering buying generic automotive LED rubber boots to properly weather seal the bulbs... However I don't think I can recommend this kit in good conscience. I think money would be better spent on perhaps a lesser kit in terms of lumen output, which may perhas work better with the overall Mk3V kit.

Thanks for viewing!
I just installed a roughly 2400 lumen LED headlight on low beam, since I needed to remove the headlight assembly to mount my SW Motech Hawk LED mounting bracket for my Denali D2 lights, well worth the money spent , I couldn't have welded anything equal to this for the 2015 650 ABS. This one was given to me and had a fan as a integral part of the LED, the original owner upgraded to a 3400 lumen LED with a remote driver. The one he gave me included the rubber boots with a hole in the back, close observation revealed that there were intake slots near the mounting clip and a second exhaust set near the back. I decided to run the cover completely over the whole assembly and use the headlight housing for cooling. I ran this for 6 hours in my garage at 14.2 VDC, since it didn't go up in smoke I installed it. Not real happy with the beam pattern as it is two horizontal opposing led's. The mounting clip was a challenge ( had several homemade given to me) also the led has a ball that matches the socket, so it can easily pop out. So I ran a wire tie around the rubber boot to hold everything in place.
As to the Denali D2, awesome, got the dimming unit and managed to change the wiring configuration. 50% is on when I key on, 100% is turned on using the included SP switch . A matter of swapping two wires in the switch socket.
I will post some pictures and a report later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode