• 1 Post By Urbanengineer
  • 1 Post By hawkerjet
  • 4 Post By aboyandhisversys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
checking your oil level

Every now and then someone will ask how we check the oil on our 650s, so I mention what I do - hold the V upright after shutting it down, then I look down and I can see the level.

HOWEVER, on my cross-Canada ride I also noticed that the oil-level remains visible in the 'window' for awhile after you put the bike onto its side-stand, as evidenced by a "line" of bubbles as well as the color of the oil, so ANOTHER method of checking it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg checking oil-level.jpg (275.4 KB, 82 views)
silviefox likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Left hand on the brake lever, pull the bike towards me and lean it against my left side until I reach the balance point, tip it back and forth slightly and look!

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
You're suppose to check it ?????

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 06:23 PM

I'm not a fan of the glass eye. I used to have a Fuji engine had a threaded hole in the crank at the proper level. All you needed to do was fill the oil filler until oil ran out the hole, and poof! done.

much simpler and easier to deal with. the only downside was that you couldn't really check if the level was low, but I could live with that 'limitation'.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Rear spools and a paddock stand work well too.

Really a must have if you do your own work on the bike.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
Rear spools and a paddock stand work well too.

Really a must have if you do your own work on the bike.
I will say that the level is DIFFERENT between wheels on the ground, and rear-stand in use (so nose "low" as opposed to level). NOT an issue as long as you take the difference into account.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I like the sight glass over a dip stick. Quick check and no dripping or paper towels needed.

Kawasaki put it on the correct side by putting it opposite the side stand. I crouch or kneel and pull it towards me to balance and check it. It is easier to push it away from you and pull it towards you if it starts to get away from you.

Yamaha put the sight glass on the same side as the side stand. Don't care for that as much from a safety standpoint.

When I had my big Voyager XII, I used a dental mirror to check the level while I straddled the bike.

A paddock stand does take the bike a little off level, but if you are just checking to make sure you have enough oil for a ride then it is fine.

Bikes with oil pans are easy to check. Bikes with dry sumps have specific procedures for checking the proper oil level. Some of the bikes I have had make you go through a 6 minute ordeal to check the oil level.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I used to religiously check the oil level every ride. Now I check it weekly, or before each sporty ride/distance ride.

I also check tire pressures by the air tool only once a week. Otherwise I let out too much air and have to refill regularly!
Ididar likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 11:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I put a small plastic level on the gas cap and use a small mirror taped to a yard stick-works great

Deep in Cajun Country
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I will say that the level is DIFFERENT between wheels on the ground, and rear-stand in use (so nose "low" as opposed to level). NOT an issue as long as you take the difference into account.
I checked it both ways and did not see any appreciable difference in the sight glass.

Back wheel is only about and inch and a half off the ground when on the stand.

The biggest factor is side to side lean.

Which reminds me of a joke. "What do you call a women with a short leg?... Ileane.
quexpress likes this.

Last edited by hawkerjet; 09-28-2017 at 12:19 AM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 08:22 AM

The Versys is so light and the CG so low compared to all the DOHC inline fours I've owned over the years that pulling it upright to check the oil seems very easy, and I'm a 165 pound weakling. :^)

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer View Post
...I also check tire pressures by the air tool only once a week. Otherwise I let out too much air and have to refill regularly!
I check tire pressures EVERY ride the way truckers do - w/ a mallet.

I started w/ the pressures where I want them, whacked w/ the mallet and noted how it felt; removed some air - whacked again, etc; and again..., to give me a base-line. I re-check every few weeks w/ a gauge and my pressures have stayed consistently UP.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 02:34 PM

straddle the bike, level it up, use a mechanics mirror (a mirror on the end of an extendible rod) available from Amazon for $6:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61mzKDy79XL._SL1500_.jpg (17.3 KB, 17 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode