• 2 Post By anders55
  • 1 Post By silviefox
  • 1 Post By Bale2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Questions after first drop

It happened last week in my garage. One of my daughters sat on it and down she went. I wasn't there to see it and she wasn't hurt; just very scared. At first glance there was some minimal damage. Dangling turn signal and slight crack in the fairing turn signal hole (already replaced both thanks to quick shipping by Partzilla). The crash bars did their job. Not a scratch anywhere else. I got the bike up and did two laps in the driveway at low speed - not really enough to do a thorough inspection, just wanted to see if anything catastrophic happened. Everything seemed to run fine. I put it up on the stands and it sat there ever since. I did an oil change while I waited for the parts to arrive. Again, everything seemed okay - no funny smells after periodic startups. No visible signs of leaking fluids. Over the weekend I installed the new fairing, turn signal and new GIVI side cases.

Fast forward to today. I took it out this morning for a 10 mile ride and there was a strong smell of something upon startup. Hard to describe it exactly - a combination of burning oil/rich gas or both. Also, when I let it warm up in the garage I noticed a hint of white smoke in the air and as I watched the bike I noticed it was vibrating slightly. There are still no visible leaks anywhere and I did not spill oil that would cause the burning smell or smoke. About four hours after the ride and after letting it cool down, I've noticed condensation in the oil filler window. After doing online searches I've come across recommendations of changing the plugs and air filter in case gas or coolant leaked into the system.

Also, unfortunately, I can see an almost unnoticeable tilt in the handlebar risers (left side down, right side up), unless my eyes are fooling me. The bike didn't wobble or seem out of alignment when I rode it, but the tilt is there.

I'm wondering what the members think in general and if there's anything I should be looking for. More specifically, what is a good online source for the NGK CR9EIA-9 plugs in the manual and what's involved with getting at them (When I do a Google search for ANYTHING Versys related I come up with results that are for the 2014 V or older and not for the 17' that I have)? I have fairly standard automotive tools and I'm thinking I might just take it to the dealership for a thorough inspection in case there's something really wrong.

Edited to add: No engine light on.

Condensation. Could this be from letting the bike idle too long to warm up before a ride, or a short ride on a cold morning?

Last edited by Bale2011; 09-19-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The condensation isn't anything to worry about.........happens with all bikes sooner or later (at least everyone I've had with those goofy windows). It looks like you might have tweeked the triple trees a bit. Easy to straighten, have someone (preferably large someone) straddle the front tire and you force the bars in the other direction until they are "correct".
I have a 2015 and I had an accident earlier this year and low sided the bike at about 10-15 mph. I didn't note any odd smells or trouble re-starting the bike afterwards but I was on the highway and outside.
aboyandhisversys likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
Easy to straighten, have someone (preferably large someone) straddle the front tire and you force the bars in the other direction until they are "correct"..
the old dirt bike method is to find a tree put the front wheel against it and bang the bars a few times lol
Duffy likes this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
the old dirt bike method is to find a tree put the front wheel against it and bang the bars a few times lol
Yep, that's what I did with mine..........used the garage door this last time however.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
[quote=Bale2011;1447009]...About four hours after the ride and after letting it cool down, I've noticed condensation in the oil filler window. After doing online searches I've come across recommendations of changing the plugs and air filter in case gas or coolant leaked into the system.

Condensation. Could this be from letting the bike idle too long to warm up before a ride, or a short ride on a cold morning?

TOO short a ride to get the oil "up to temp" - NOT a problem UNLESS you make a habit of it! (Good excuse for a LONGER ride......!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
What silviefox said...

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Or, regarding the fork, instead of banging a more mild method is to loosen the Front Fork Clamp Bolts (Lower & Upper) and straighten the fork up.
silviefox and nayr14 like this.

Anders B.
Sweden
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks all. That's what I suspected (too short a ride). When I got home from work I took it for a 30 minute ride. The condensation was gone and the oil was it's natural color (I was hoping I wouldn't see the milky color indicative of a coolant leak from a blown head gasket and I haven't seen it). I'll keep an eye on it but I have to attribute the white smoke and condensation to how cold it was yesterday morning.

Thanks again!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
The condensation isn't anything to worry about.........happens with all bikes sooner or later (at least everyone I've had with those goofy windows). It looks like you might have tweeked the triple trees a bit. Easy to straighten, have someone (preferably large someone) straddle the front tire and you force the bars in the other direction until they are "correct".
I have a 2015 and I had an accident earlier this year and low sided the bike at about 10-15 mph. I didn't note any odd smells or trouble re-starting the bike afterwards but I was on the highway and outside.
Any fairing or other damage from the low side? Glad you're okay.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by anders55 View Post
Or, regarding the fork, instead of banging a more mild method is to loosen the Front Fork Clamp Bolts (Lower & Upper) and straighten the fork up.
to much work when on the trail, a tree is easier =p
anders55 likes this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bale2011 View Post
Any fairing or other damage from the low side? Glad you're okay.

Broke the right front turn signal and popped it out of the fairing (cracked the fairing a bit), bent the highway peg, bent the foot brake pedal, broke the right hand brush guard, and scraped the right side saddlebag. All repaired now except for the saddle bag. I've got the materials to repair it just haven't got around to it yet.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I found a few vids on straightening the front forks. They all say to at least loosen up the lower clamp (but not both the lower and top or the front will drop). In the first vid, the guy even loosen's up the fender, caliper and axle, then jumps up and down on the bike and it self-corrects. The guy in the last vid seems to be the most professional and he just loosens up the lower clamp, tugs on the bars and listens for a "cracking" sound to indicate which side was bound up. I plan to try and straighten it out tonight and I'm really hoping I don't have a bent clamp or something worse.

Buffalo_Bob likes this.

Last edited by Bale2011; 09-21-2017 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Clarification
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Thermo-Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bale2011 View Post
Thanks all. That's what I suspected (too short a ride). When I got home from work I took it for a 30 minute ride. The condensation was gone and the oil was it's natural color (I was hoping I wouldn't see the milky color indicative of a coolant leak from a blown head gasket and I haven't seen it). I'll keep an eye on it but I have to attribute the white smoke and condensation to how cold it was yesterday morning.

Thanks again!
As in the title, I have had this on my 07, now on the 2015, warm up is faster, guaranteed a positive flow through the bypass T, instead of a trickle through the bleed hole, the photo below shows the bypass water temperature which is at the point of fan onoperating temperature, I happened to be working on the bike after a valve shim check and thought it was a good time to take a photo. This is a capillary driven temp. gauge, and in reality it is measuring engine discharge temperature, as the 3/8 bypass line has somewhat less restriction than the wide open T Stat and rad. At one time there was a member designing a engine temp gauge that used a RTD sensor placed on the back of the motor, that kind of faded away. I am sure at some point there will be a quality gauge made that works on a 12 VDC system.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode