Tire Pressure- tires or bike? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tire Pressure- tires or bike?

I'm running Avon Distanzias on a 2009 Versys.....About to embark on a trip. Should I go by the recommended tire pressure in the Versys manual or the recommended pressure on the actual tire?? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 07:55 PM

there is no recommended tire pressure on the tire. there may be a "MAX pressure" on the tire, meaning max+1 could blow up in your face. or, in my case, a "MAX LOAD" @ Xpsi, which is informative but not directive. the tire mfg has no clue what you're riding. that sticker on your swingarm is directive and is always a good starting place.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 08:23 PM

Yep, what kevrider said.

Whenever possible, I search out the manufacturer's recommended psi. Search Avon's web page for FAQ's or something.

Over the years, I've found its hard to go wrong with a psi of 35 +/- 2psi to suit the environment. The Versys is a light weight, low power bike. Unless you'll be loaded to the max GVW plus, 40psi is high.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again...My Versys will be heavily loaded for an 8-day trip, and again, I have Avon Distaniza's, so I'm figuring 36-front, 38 back.....????
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 09:02 PM

I used to think that was a silly question. Of course you use the bike recommendations over the max sidewall pressure.

But I attended a tire seminar recently and Ron Bowen of Pirelli/Metzeler who knows more about motorcycle tires than I ever will said that on sport touring tires to use max sidewall pressure. Though on his bike he admits to using slightly less (maybe 2 PSI less in front?).

He also attributed a lot of tire failures to being run at too low pressure, and he explained about the operating temp in various parts of the tire, and how it increases at lower pressure.

I've been running my tires with more air since that.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 11:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenover View Post
Thanks again...My Versys will be heavily loaded for an 8-day trip, and again, I have Avon Distaniza's, so I'm figuring 36-front, 38 back.....????
High speed pavement only? I'd say 33 front, 38 rear. (base setting is 32/36)

Last edited by invader; 07-23-2012 at 02:01 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 01:09 AM

I'll leave the front at 32 if the tire grip show signs of slipping at higher PSI (esp when wet). I'll load up the rear at 38 if carrying a pillion, else 36 on my BT023. They seem to be pretty hard tires (side wall). My fronts are Pirelli Scorpion Trails.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenover View Post
I'd recommend 36F and 42R. I've run that on ALL my V tires - stock, RoadSmart, ContiMotions, and now - Metzler Tourance. I get GREAT mileage, and, OCCASIONALLY I 'drag' a footpeg....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode