Is it ok to lube the turn signal? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
MTS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Is it ok to lube the turn signal?

No I didn't look in the manual! Ha! Ha! I will look tomorrow. My turn signals are getting tough to push to either side and to clear. Everything needs lube!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MTS; 07-17-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You could try spray electrical contact cleaner (Radio Shack carries it) but I don't believe I'd "lubricate" the switch. Even WD40 might help. I've used that to clean the contacts on my trailer's electrical connectors and it's worked. Neither spray contact cleaner nor WD40 is a lubricant in the traditional sense of the word. Oil is a lubricant, but I sure wouldn't use that.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
MTS

WD40 is not in my mind. We used that stuff on the farm and it is about as good as water and not as good as soapy water IMO. And Its gone after one day. I'm thinking maybe petroleum jelly? On just the moving parts?

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 07-17-2012 at 10:30 PM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Yeah, you could give it a little shot of chain lube... What kind of chain lube do you use?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
MTS

Bell Ray the cheap heavy stuff! I have some light stuff for my bicycle thats a good thought!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 07-17-2012 at 10:39 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 09:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to MotoSailor
Dielectric Grease makes would be good for this situation. Pull the module apart, clean the bits and when reinstalling, slather everything with dielectric grease. It is waterproof and lubricanty (grease) but also non-conductive.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 10:28 AM

Goldwings have this problem all the time. It comes up in their FAQs constantly. Use silicone spray. Liberally. WD40 has solvents that might eventually shorten the life of the plastic. Same with contact cleaner if allowed to set too long on the plastic. Ever noticed how switch gear gets white and sun bleeched? You want to avoid chemicals that will accelerate that affect. The silicone spray will have the added benefit of rejuvinating and protecting the plastic as well as cleaning and lubricating it.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 06:12 PM

try filing your blinker fluid bottle first, might be low

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoSailor View Post
Dielectric Grease makes would be good for this situation. Pull the module apart, clean the bits and when reinstalling, slather everything with dielectric grease. It is waterproof and lubricanty (grease) but also non-conductive.
+10..
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by colodak View Post
try filing your blinker fluid bottle first, might be low
Thanks, I had no idea about the blinker fluid reservoir because its so small! It was empty! Thanks again!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 08:14 AM

I know you don't like WD40 but that is what I'd use. Either that or a light oil like 3in1. The last thing you want in that switch is a heavy grease which will hold all of the dirt which contacts it or chain lube which flows on soft then gets super tacky which also holds onto crud. If you open the unit clean any contacts and apply an anti-oxidation liquid such as No-Lox.
Being an electrician, I am electrically sympathetic, so when I wash my bike I cover my switch gear with a small plastic bag.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
I know you don't like WD40 but that is what I'd use. Either that or a light oil like 3in1. The last thing you want in that switch is a heavy grease which will hold all of the dirt which contacts it or chain lube which flows on soft then gets super tacky which also holds onto crud. If you open the unit clean any contacts and apply an anti-oxidation liquid such as No-Lox.
Being an electrician, I am electrically sympathetic, so when I wash my bike I cover my switch gear with a small plastic bag.
Thanks for the info! I think you are right about some heavy grease. I used some really light bicycle lub called Finish Line 1-Step cleaner and lubricant. Man did it work awesome! I went on a two hour fun ride last night it was so beautiful out, and my blinkers were smoother than brand new! You can tell when you need some lub or its going to start to wear out. Thanks again!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 08:51 AM

Well, dielectric grease would be the way to go but you'd need to disassemble the switch first.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 09:55 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoSailor View Post
This!

" I don't care about shinny chrome or loud exhaust, I don't ride to be seen, I ride because I want to disappear"

Halfthrottle
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 11:44 AM

The finish line dry lube is good stuff. Us cyclists know it well, but it's not marketed much to moto folks, although it's very applicable for lubing cables, switches, chain, etc. Non-aerosal products are light and easy to carry in your tool kit too.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Thanks for the info! I think you are right about some heavy grease. I used some really light bicycle lub called Finish Line 1-Step cleaner and lubricant. Man did it work awesome! I went on a two hour fun ride last night it was so beautiful out, and my blinkers were smoother than brand new! You can tell when you need some lub or its going to start to wear out. Thanks again!
How did you get that Finish Line in there? Take it apart or squirt it in the cracks? I never heard of the stuff.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
How did you get that Finish Line in there? Take it apart or squirt it in the cracks? I never heard of the stuff.
Just squirt it in there! Then use your binkers and give it one more squirt. I didn't want take it all apart. Its great stuff.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Thanks, I had no idea about the blinker fluid reservoir because its so small! It was empty! Thanks again!
glad to be of assistance

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode