Upgrade Headlight to LED Bulbs for Versys 650 gen3 (2015+) - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Lightbulb Upgrade Headlight to LED Bulbs for Versys 650 gen3 (2015+)

Below is the link to instructions on how you can upgrade your headlights to LED. I did the install on 2 Versys 650 bikes and the direct result when compared to stock is fantastic. I think the newer V1000 and newer Ninjas use the same headlights so the instructions may be useful for them as well. I think you can go with almost any H7 LED bulb with slight modifications so if there is another brand you like then please give it a try and post back here.

Installing Cyclops H7 LED lights on a Kawasaki Versys 650 | Eyes Open Labs
quexpress and b3d3g1 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Excellent!

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Interesting, I'm hoping to do a full retrofit with HID projectors but I heard that the lenses are sealed with silicon instead of butyl rubber. I might end up going this route...

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazypear View Post
Below is the link to instructions on how you can upgrade your headlights to LED. I did the install on 2 Versys 650 bikes and the direct result when compared to stock is fantastic. I think the newer V1000 and newer Ninjas use the same headlights so the instructions may be useful for them as well. I think you can go with almost any H7 LED bulb with slight modifications so if there is another brand you like then please give it a try and post back here.

Do you have any problems with blinding oncoming drivers? I am concerned that the additional brightness and glare from the LED bulbs might be an issue.

Do the fans on the LED heatsinks make much noise?

Last edited by Green Streak; 09-11-2017 at 05:04 PM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Is this the bulb? Maybe you can post where you got them so we get the right ones.

https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.c...Bulb_p_86.html

Edited to add: It looks like it has an actual receptacle plug-in attached to it. What do you do with that?

Last edited by Bale2011; 09-11-2017 at 10:06 PM.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Streak View Post
Do you have any problems with blinding oncoming drivers? I am concerned that the additional brightness and glare from the LED bulbs might be an issue.

Do the fans on the LED heatsinks make much noise?
No, I often ride with another rider who has the same headlight upgrade and I don't feel like it's blinding. This is why I mention in the writeup that you need to adjust your light to proper height. The lights are much stronger so in general there is more light coming from the other driver but it's directed in a way that it shouldn't blind others.

The fans make some noise, but not enough for me to hear while I am riding. I can hear them if I stop and turn off the engine using the kill switch.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bale2011 View Post
Is this the bulb? Maybe you can post where you got them so we get the right ones.

https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.c...Bulb_p_86.html

Edited to add: It looks like it has an actual receptacle plug-in attached to it. What do you do with that?
Yes, that's the bulb. You need two of them for the versys. One for the regular light and one for the high beam.

The receptacle gets plugged in to the same slot the stock bulb was plugged into. It's really quite intuitive once you get the package and open your headlight.

Last edited by crazypear; 09-12-2017 at 12:10 AM. Reason: added information
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 10:20 AM

How much power do these draw compared to regular bulbs?

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 10:53 AM

Web site says 30 watt draw.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nayr14 View Post
Interesting, I'm hoping to do a full retrofit with HID projectors but I heard that the lenses are sealed with silicon instead of butyl rubber. I might end up going this route...
here is my HID projector conversion, it is amazing.
I realized I don't have a photo with both projectors ON, I'll try to take some.
2 low beam, 2 high beam

chid's new Versys 2015
Urbanengineer likes this.

Versys 2015 Green
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
here is my HID projector conversion, it is amazing.
I realized I don't have a photo with both projectors ON, I'll try to take some.
2 low beam, 2 high beam

chid's new Versys 2015
Is that the BKMoto kit?
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
no, better quality, Morimoto
Urbanengineer likes this.

Versys 2015 Green
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
You will have limited improvement putting a more powerful bulb in the reflectors of the Versys designed for an incandescent bulb although this is a cheap to try and does offer some limited improvement. I've tried this with a HID bulb on my last bike. If you truly want dramatically more light though the best option is LED aux lights although they will cost $100/set (high light output and spot pattern) plus cost of mounts. SW-Motech, Denali and Kawasaki make Versys specific mounts for aux lights. These are essentially non branded Denalis that sell for considerably less than the branded variety straight from the Chinese factory. Wire the aux lights strait to the high beam circuit of your high beam headlight.

See EBay for cheap LED H7 bulbs.

Last edited by twowheels; 09-12-2017 at 11:08 PM.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
You will have limited improvement putting a more powerful bulb in the reflectors of the Versys designed for an incandescent bulb although this is a cheap to try and does offer some limited improvement. I've tried this with a HID bulb on my last bike. If you truly want dramatically more light though the best option is LED aux lights although they will cost $100/set (high light output and spot pattern) plus cost of mounts. SW-Motech, Denali and Kawasaki make Versys specific mounts for aux lights. These are essentially non branded Denalis that sell for considerably less than the branded variety straight from the Chinese factory. Wire the aux lights strait to the high beam circuit of your high beam headlight.

See EBay for cheap LED H7 bulbs.
That's simply not true. Check the results I posted, the difference is quite dramatic and makes me not even want to get AUX lights. The current stock headlight is not very useful at night. Why have all that space wasted with the stock bulbs? Upgrade your bulbs first and then try something expensive like AUX lights if you really need the extra light. Also where are you getting your AUX lights at $100/set? Link please. I checked the price of Kawasaki and SW-Motech and they are not $100/set. Maybe closer to $400 US once you add the mounts.

Last edited by crazypear; 09-13-2017 at 01:12 AM.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 01:51 AM

Garage
Quote:
That's simply not true. Check the results I posted, the difference is quite dramatic and makes me not even want to get AUX lights. The current stock headlight is not very useful at night. Why have all that space wasted with the stock bulbs? Upgrade your bulbs first and then try something expensive like AUX lights if you really need the extra light. Also where are you getting your AUX lights at $100/set? Link please. I checked the price of Kawasaki and SW-Motech and they are not $100/set. Maybe closer to $400 US once you add the mounts.
I've tried it with an H7 HID replacement. I'm not saying there was not an improvement, just not a dramatic improvement like installing aux lights which are distance focused (narrow spot beam pattern). As for cost I spent slightly less than $100US for the lights on AliExpress and $60CDN to buy a used Denali mount for my bike from a forum member.

The lights I got look identical to these but use brighter LED's and put out 4000LM per unit instead of 3000LM, for a total of 8000LM plus high beam headlight. It's like a UFO just landed and turns night to day when I have the high beams on. In comparison a typical high beam bulb puts out 1200LM. The aux lights focus the light far down the road and not just in front of the bike.

Lots of brighter and dimmer, more expensive and cheaper options on AliExpress although I would look for lights that put out at least 3000LM each and preferably more. They draw relatively little current so can wire directly into high beam circuit on the bike.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/A-pa...926471094.html

Lots of options like this on AliExpress.com or other direct from manufacturer web sites. As far as I can tell from direct comparison the performance and quality is the same as the branded units like Denali. Glass lens, aluminum case, water tight.
onewizard and Urbanengineer like this.

Last edited by twowheels; 09-13-2017 at 02:09 AM.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Smile

Quote:
I've tried it with an H7 HID replacement. I'm not saying there was not an improvement, just not a dramatic improvement like installing aux lights which are distance focused (narrow spot beam pattern). As for cost I spent slightly less than $100US for the lights on AliExpress and $60CDN to buy a used Denali mount for my bike from a forum member.

The lights I got look identical to these but use brighter LED's and put out 4000LM per unit instead of 3000LM, for a total of 8000LM plus high beam headlight. It's like a UFO just landed and turns night to day when I have the high beams on. In comparison a typical high beam bulb puts out 1200LM. The aux lights focus the light far down the road and not just in front of the bike.

Lots of brighter and dimmer, more expensive and cheaper options on AliExpress although I would look for lights that put out at least 3000LM each and preferably more. They draw relatively little current so can wire directly into high beam circuit on the bike.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/A-pa...926471094.html

Lots of options like this on AliExpress.com or other direct from manufacturer web sites. As far as I can tell from direct comparison the performance and quality is the same as the branded units like Denali. Glass lens, aluminum case, water tight.

That's really interesting. I have looked at AliExpress and DX for these lights and found that it wasn't always obvious what voltage the lights used. I am glad you found a good pair. Your solution is even cheaper than getting these bulbs, but I am a little concerned regarding quality. How long have you had these? Can you please provide some pics of what that UFO looks like

These Cyclops LED lights are also 4000lm/bulb and with both bulbs, they are quite bright. I managed to adjust the stock headlight to focus these lights into a concentrated spot on the road as you could see in the pics I posted. How much power do your AUX lights draw?

The more info we get out there the more choices other Versys owners will have.

PS Where in ON are you from?

Last edited by crazypear; 09-13-2017 at 09:24 PM.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 12:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
That's really interesting. I have looked at AliExpress and DX for these lights and found that it wasn't always obvious what voltage the lights used. I am glad you found a good pair. Your solution is even cheaper than getting these bulbs, but I am a little concerned regarding quality. How long have you had these? Can you please provide some pics of what that UFO looks like

These Cyclops LED lights are also 4000lm/bulb and with both bulbs, they are quite bright. I managed to adjust the stock headlight to focus these lights into a concentrated spot on the road as you could see in the pics I posted. How much power do your AUX lights draw?

The more info we get out there the more choices other Versys owners will have.

PS Where in ON are you from?
I'm in Ottawa. As for lights I've had for over a year with no issues other than black paint has faded somewhat from gun black to brown, due to heat. They do run hot, although not too hot to touch, hence the heat fins. It is not easy taking relevant pictures of what they illuminate at night but suffice it to say night time illumination is considerably better than my car which has expensive Daybreaker Performance Bulbs installed in it that cost the same as these lights. The night time illumination pictures you see on Denali and other similar sites is not an enhancement.

I would look for the "4*U2 Cree LED Chip led spotlight 40W 4400lumens" model that are now $70US/pr. These are what I have although price has come down $30 since I bought mine. IMO LED headlights are like flat screen TV's. Expensive in the beginning but becoming cheaper by the day as production ramps up and technology evolves.
crazypear likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 09-14-2017 at 12:47 AM.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Specs Not Clear

Quote:
I'm in Ottawa. As for lights I've had for over a year with no issues other than black paint has faded somewhat from gun black to brown, due to heat. They do run hot, although not too hot to touch, hence the heat fins. It is not easy taking relevant pictures of what they illuminate at night but suffice it to say night time illumination is considerably better than my car which has expensive Daybreaker Performance Bulbs installed in it that cost the same as these lights. The night time illumination pictures you see on Denali and other similar sites is not an enhancement.

I would look for the "4*U2 Cree LED Chip led spotlight 40W 4400lumens" model that are now $70US/pr. These are what I have although price has come down $30 since I bought mine. IMO LED headlights are like flat screen TV's. Expensive in the beginning but becoming cheaper by the day as production ramps up and technology evolves.
What isn't clear is the actual wattage per LED light. The specs say 9 to 16 VDC and 1.5 to 3 amp. Typically the lower the voltage the higher the current draw, so 3 amp X 9 volt= 27 watt. 90% of LEDs have drivers, even the T10 Philips , at 14.2 VDC the current goes down from the 12.9 VDC with the motor off.

So if you could elaborate on the specs it would be much appreciated. I have considered switching over to LED headlight bulbs and have a set of 2400 lumen ( have a fan mounted on the end and barely fit, so they sit in a box) LED from a former member, that member installed 3200 Lumen with a separate driver.
H7 3200 lumen LED Headlight bulb

The member http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...42-post77.html
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 01:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
What isn't clear is the actual wattage per LED light. The specs say 9 to 16 VDC and 1.5 to 3 amp. Typically the lower the voltage the higher the current draw, so 3 amp X 9 volt= 27 watt. 90% of LEDs have drivers, even the T10 Philips , at 14.2 VDC the current goes down from the 12.9 VDC with the motor off.

So if you could elaborate on the specs it would be much appreciated. I have considered switching over to LED headlight bulbs and have a set of 2400 lumen ( have a fan mounted on the end and barely fit, so they sit in a box) LED from a former member, that member installed 3200 Lumen with a separate driver.
H7 3200 lumen LED Headlight bulb

The member http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...42-post77.html
I have the same specs you do. All I can tell you is I have these aux lights connected to the high beam headlight. No issue with fuses blowing or other electrical issues. I do notice a ~.2 drop in the voltage measured at the battery when I flick my high beam switch, which also includes the OEM incandescent H7 bulb in the high beam circuit.

Assuming a worst case interpretation of the specs of 16V @ 3amps, that's 48 watts per light. There is a lot of circuitry inside the housing so I would assume it is regulating the current and voltage sent to the LED diodes.

Brand Name: LDDCZENGHUITEC
Item Length: 2.6inch
Item Type: Headlights
Item Diameter: 2.15inch
Item Weight: 1kg
Led lamp: 4*U2 Cree chip led
Voltage: 9V-16V
Current: 1.5A-3A
Range: 300M
Colour: Black Slivery or customized
Colour temperature: 3000K-7500K
Waterproof rating: IP67
Package: White box or Gift box
Material Type: 6063-T6 aluminum alloy

Last edited by twowheels; 09-14-2017 at 01:32 PM.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 03:35 PM

Garage
I installed the Cyclops LED H7 bulbs last weekend on my 2016 Versys 650. The OP instructions made it very simple as I didn't have to figure anything out. No problems with the install at all and they have worked great in my short test in my neighborhood without street lights. The privately hosted website doesn't seem to be working right now but I was able to use a google cashed version to view it again over the weekend. I saved a PDF of the cashed site and uploaded it here for anyone's reference.

Installing Cyclops H7 LED lights on a Kawasaki Versys 650 _ Eyes Open Labs.pdf

I wish I would have aligned my stock headlights before doing this to have a direct comparison. I knew the stock alignment was way too high from the start but I adjusted the headlights after installing the LED bulbs. I'm mainly a daily commuter so I'm prepping for darker commutes coming up soon.

2016 Kaw Versys 650 LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
headlight, headlight mod, led, led lights

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode