Intermittent Electrical Issue - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Topper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Unhappy Intermittent Electrical Issue

Tried to start my bike this morning and it didn't start up. Made a weird clicky sound. I tried again and it started right up. Rode to the gas station to fill up and when I went to leave, same clicky sound. Started second try again. Went straight home and tried several starts. It seems like about 1 out of 3 times it does this. And SOMETIMES when it fails to start, it also resets the clock.

Any idea what this could be? Hoping something simple I can handle. Otherwise I'll have to take it to the nearest shop (which is an hour away).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 03:54 PM

If the clock resets, it quite frequently means the voltage from the battery dropped below a preset minimum, and this usually is caused by a bad connection to the battery. Check the battery cable connections, and check to make sure your ground connection to the frame is good.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfart View Post
If the clock resets, it quite frequently means the voltage from the battery dropped below a preset minimum, and this usually is caused by a bad connection to the battery. Check the battery cable connections, and check to make sure your ground connection to the frame is good.
Where's the frame ground located?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
What year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topper View Post
Where's the frame ground located?
Several things to check:
1- Engine ground, located at the other end of your battery negative wire, look from the foot brake side of your bike, left of the clutch lever and towards the center, the starter uses the outer case as negative connection, several have had a corroded engine ground
2- frame ground, on the MK-3 there are 6, the most important one is on the right side of the bike, just behind the seat / tank mounting bracket, my money is on a bad frame ground, if MK-3, remove the tank / seat mounting bracket as there is a second frame ground to ECU directly below the mounting bracket, taking the 2 bolts out, you can slide the mounting forward to gain access .
3- check both battery terminals,that is remove the connections, tip, put a small piece of cardboard or hardboard under the terminal nut before you take the bolt out makes it much easier especially if you added accessories to the positive terminal to get the bolt started again. Clean with scotch brite pad or similar.
4- the start solenoid next to the main fuse under that triangular cover , left side almost directly above the foot rest, one screw holding the cover in, several have had the relay fail, doubt that is your problem.
5- have your battery tested, it may be near the end of its life, measure the voltage when running at idle and after about 5 minutes of sitting after a ride. You could also hook a meter up to the battery before starting and see what voltage it drops to while not starting.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Several things to check:
1- Engine ground, located at the other end of your battery negative wire, look from the foot brake side of your bike, left of the clutch lever and towards the center, the starter uses the outer case as negative connection, several have had a corroded engine ground
2- frame ground, on the MK-3 there are 6, the most important one is on the right side of the bike, just behind the seat / tank mounting bracket, my money is on a bad frame ground, if MK-3, remove the tank / seat mounting bracket as there is a second frame ground to ECU directly below the mounting bracket, taking the 2 bolts out, you can slide the mounting forward to gain access .
3- check both battery terminals,that is remove the connections, tip, put a small piece of cardboard or hardboard under the terminal nut before you take the bolt out makes it much easier especially if you added accessories to the positive terminal to get the bolt started again. Clean with scotch brite pad or similar.
4- the start solenoid next to the main fuse under that triangular cover , left side almost directly above the foot rest, one screw holding the cover in, several have had the relay fail, doubt that is your problem.
5- have your battery tested, it may be near the end of its life, measure the voltage when running at idle and after about 5 minutes of sitting after a ride. You could also hook a meter up to the battery before starting and see what voltage it drops to while not starting.
Great info thanks! I should have mentioned this is a 2009, 1st generation.

1 - I did find the engine ground by following the negative battery cable. It seemed plenty secure.

2 - Anybody know the locations of the frame grounds on the Gen 1?

3- The negative battery terminal wasn't super tight. Not loose, but not cranked down either. I tightened it up before shooting the video though.

4 - I'll see if I can find that on the Gen 1.

5 - The battery is about a year old. I'll take it in and have it tested just to be sure.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topper View Post
Great info thanks! I should have mentioned this is a 2009, 1st generation.

1 - I did find the engine ground by following the negative battery cable. It seemed plenty secure.

2 - Anybody know the locations of the frame grounds on the Gen 1?

3- The negative battery terminal wasn't super tight. Not loose, but not cranked down either. I tightened it up before shooting the video though.

4 - I'll see if I can find that on the Gen 1.

5 - The battery is about a year old. I'll take it in and have it tested just to be sure.
Same location but slightly towards the rear, right side , behind seat front mounting, very close to plastic.You need to remove the bolt and check, I found my 07 with some residual paint and a corroded connection, as if you drive in the rain, this area gets wet. Some connections from the ECU were not coupled with the grounding system but used the frame ground as a common connection. If you followed the drawing it would show a separate line to frame ground and a # designating which ground.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Video

You have some other issues, possibly a vacuum hose leaking, possibly your TPS isn't set right. Your starter turns over on the third attempt and started but the sound should have been faster, first two tries the clutch disengaged. I copied this from another post .http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...starter+clutch
yep.... sprague clutch. it's always engaged... the rollers are oval and only "lock up" in one direction.... only happens when the starter turns faster than the crankshaft.

My money is the battery, try charging it , then repeated starts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfart View Post
Also check your earthing..
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Took the battery in to the auto parts store. They tested it and it failed. It was freshly charged, less than a year old. Only had a 90 day warranty though. Oh well, I guess I should be happy for a simple fix.

Put the new battery in and got three quick easy starts right in a row. We can call this fixed until further notice.

Thanks for the help everyone!
onewizard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode