Seems we are on the same "route". I went thru the 50k mile stator failure recently and replaced the stator and regulator with non-OEM parts.
After replacement the stator read 35-37 VAC across the terminals and I was getting 12.4 VDC at the battery @ 0 RPM, 12.4 VDC @ 800/idle RPM and 14.9 VDC @ 4k RPM.
Prior to the stator replacement I had noticed minor headlight dimming at idle, operated the same after the replacement.
A month after the regulator change I was in the last 500 miles of a US cross country trip and starting blowing my headlight bulbs.
Finished the last 200 miles (5,500 mile trip) at night on my driving lights.
At home when I checked the voltage at the headlight terminals I got 12.4 VDC at the headlight @ 0 RPM, 12.4 VDC @ 800/idle RPM and 18.9 VDC @ 4k RPM.
I repeated the same test at the battery and got the exact same readings so the voltage at the headlight was the same as the battery.
Anyway I had a bad (1 month old/5,500 mile) regulator and the vendor replaced it under warranty. The high voltage at the headlight was what was blowing them.
I changed the regulator out last weekend and repeated my tests.
With the new non-OEM regulator and 5,500 mile non-OEM stator I got the same 35-37 VAC at the stator connections and 12.4 VDC at the battery @ 0 RPM, 12.4 VDC @ 800/idle RPM and 14.9 VDC @ 4k RPM.
Hope it helps.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Last edited by A2RON; 07-14-2012 at 11:47 AM.