I need a headlight plug Voltage reading please? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I need a headlight plug Voltage reading please?

Hi there fellow Versysirains.... just an update on my question re: my Stator and issues I had with the voltage supply on my bike.... what I would like someone to do is please measure the voltage reading at the headlight plug...
what I would like to know what is the Voltge reading is at that plug - all you have to do is pull the plug off - put a Voltage meter with the red and black measure leads, put one on each contact point and read what it states at idle and if you can then rev the bike and see where it reads at that... if someone could do that - and let me know - that will be very much apprecaited.... mine reads 12.8V idle then 14.5 @ 4,000rpm. My issue here is that the headlight brightens up when revved - hence 2 weeks ago I blew a Junction Box headlight relay (presuming over voltage into the relay?)

I've fitted a new Stator - regulator/retifier 2 weeks ago and received on Thursday gone my new Relay Junction box and now I have all system up and going. The battery (which is new too 3 months ago) is reading at idle around 12.8V then when the motor is revved up (5,000rpm)it goes to 14.5ish [manual it states that charge should be 14.2 to 15.2V] so that's good(?) - the new Stator shows 39Volts [manual states 42V - so kinda feel that's okay(maybe?) but the headlight, at idle shows 12.8V) and then brightens up to 14.4 when revved.... I never had or noticed the headlight dim before and that's why I presume the headlight relay blew because of the higher sudden reading of 14.5 (maybe) I checked my 2004 Subi Impreza last night - the Voltage reading was 14.2 V at idle but didn't change at revving the motor and the headlight at the plug for the globe was 14.1V but didn't change at idle or revved. (both globes on the bike and Vehicle were 12V 55watt]

If someone could be kind enough to let me know the voltage info, that would be greatfully apprecaited - thanks for your interest

Andreas (sorry for the long winded info)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 02:18 AM

I don't need to check mine. If your battery voltage is 12.8 your headlight voltage should be the same. You are checking it with no load anyhow.

Your readings all look good to me.

David
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 11:44 AM

2008 Versys:

Seems we are on the same "route". I went thru the 50k mile stator failure recently and replaced the stator and regulator with non-OEM parts.

After replacement the stator read 35-37 VAC across the terminals and I was getting 12.4 VDC at the battery @ 0 RPM, 12.4 VDC @ 800/idle RPM and 14.9 VDC @ 4k RPM.

Prior to the stator replacement I had noticed minor headlight dimming at idle, operated the same after the replacement.

A month after the regulator change I was in the last 500 miles of a US cross country trip and starting blowing my headlight bulbs.

Finished the last 200 miles (5,500 mile trip) at night on my driving lights.

At home when I checked the voltage at the headlight terminals I got 12.4 VDC at the headlight @ 0 RPM, 12.4 VDC @ 800/idle RPM and 18.9 VDC @ 4k RPM.

I repeated the same test at the battery and got the exact same readings so the voltage at the headlight was the same as the battery.

Anyway I had a bad (1 month old/5,500 mile) regulator and the vendor replaced it under warranty. The high voltage at the headlight was what was blowing them.

I changed the regulator out last weekend and repeated my tests.

With the new non-OEM regulator and 5,500 mile non-OEM stator I got the same 35-37 VAC at the stator connections and 12.4 VDC at the battery @ 0 RPM, 12.4 VDC @ 800/idle RPM and 14.9 VDC @ 4k RPM.

Hope it helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A2ron
Charleston, SC

Last edited by A2RON; 07-14-2012 at 11:47 AM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Many thanks for this A2RON.... I really appreciate the reply and confirmation on your findings to verify mine (exactually the same re: voltage info).... I suppose the only thing I didn't have in common is the globe actually blowing but then headlight side of the Junction Relay Unit did(?).... I've never had this headlight 'flairing' (which was only the voltage going from 12.8 to 14.5ish at revs) before now - until the Stator etc. had been changed.... Hmmmm? I'm about to go down the street take the bike out (annoyingly very cold this time of the year but not raining) and see if the "headlight unit Relay" stays together this time - I took the option of buying a second hand one (and I have a new unit on standby) which I have in now - in case it blews again.

The motorbike Sparky guy near where I live will be open tomorrow - so I'll take the bike down and see what he has to say....

(I haven't put the "cosmetics" back on the bike so it looks quite strange seeing in a "stripped" naked look)

I'll post soon what I hope to find out tomorrow and let you know what is what...

again many sincere thanks for you kind help A2RON.... catchya soon - regards Andreas

[ps.. if you ever come down under to Adelaide in South Australia - I'll be gald to look after you]

Last edited by Andreas56; 07-15-2012 at 01:05 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Hi there all.... just an update on where this is all at.... found that all is well with my bike Voltage - Stator etc.... the reason for the slight headlight "flairing" is that because I have a after market Stator fitted - the Sparky guy said because of the way they manufacture them that there not as good as the OEM ones from Kawasaki (well I imagine the Company's offering them would despute that!)... even then he said that they (OEM) are made to standard and not to quality(?) and that's why there is an issue kinda off over time with them (and we're not the only ones!)... He (Carl) did check my Stator (and every thing else) and it showed 37V and really it should be @42V like the books states [but not so much of an issue other that the slight flairing of the headlight at idle] but really nothing to worry about

The Company he works for (Betta Bikes here in Adelaide) said that they rewind your unit and they make sure that it's the highest quality and manufacture (as they do virtually of all the rewinds from around from Australia! some 50 a week! - and they do come with a very high recommendation of service and workmanship!) the cost is $300 - using your unit... so I've left mine there to get done and leave it as a spare for perhaps later on.... he also stated that most modern bikes have some slight headlight flairing and it's not so noticeable in most cases

He also stated that one of the most common dramas on the new generation bikes in the last couple of years were the Triumphs! some models in the range (ie: triples) they have had to do untold many Stator rebuilds over the time and it's quite an issue - so there you go.. rather interesting tale!

Well I've just put all the "cosmetics" back on the bike and now going for a quick ride down the coast (no rain today being into our winter period) so I'll take advantage of the warm sunny day... and I hope this information will put all and one at ease if you feel you have an issue..

Cathcay all - until another day - enjoy where your at and do it to the MAX!

thanks Andreas

Last edited by Andreas56; 07-15-2012 at 10:19 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 05:20 PM

I am unhappy with the lower output of my replacement stator too. I'm going to get the OEM one rewound and see if it improves.

Glad I was able to help and I appreciate the offer!

a2ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A2ron
Charleston, SC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode