Another chain lube thread - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Another chain lube thread

What do you recommend for chain lube? I need to buy another can just wondering what I should try next? I would live to try the Dupont Chain Saver as it seems to be highly recommended but cannot buy it where I live.

So far I have tried Castrol chain grease (lubes well but is grease so attracts dirt and flings off a little), PJ-1 clear (does not seem to lube that well), and Maxima Chain Wax (best so far, low fling off and adheres well). The only issue with the chain wax is it requires some effort to remove when cleaning the chain as it adheres like a rubber coating.

Also has anyone tried generic dry teflon lubricant? Would this work? Also I park the bike outside at night so chain rust is a consideration. Would a dry lube prevent rust?

Last edited by twowheels; 07-11-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Do you not have a Lowes nearby?

also; http://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Teflon-Chain-Saver-Lubricant-CS0110101/dp/B003OBP63S

info;http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubr...otorcycle.html

Last edited by onewizard; 07-11-2012 at 09:24 PM.
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Here's your answer

Webbikeworld

LOP

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 01:55 PM

I'll start it.
I only use WD40 every couple hundred miles when I put it up.
Getting 20,000 miles per chain and sprocket without slinging crap all over my bike.
No more lube for me, EVER.

Let the fun begin.

And I was the fastest sumgun I ever knew.

MotoEd
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 03:39 PM

Honda Red can. Has moly. Really reduced my sprocket wear.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose jimenez View Post
I'll start it.
I only use WD40 every couple hundred miles when I put it up.
Getting 20,000 miles per chain and sprocket without slinging crap all over my bike.
No more lube for me, EVER.

Let the fun begin.

And I was the fastest sumgun I ever knew.
And I'll start the counter-argument....

WD-40 isn't a lubricant, it's a Water Displacement treatment... yada yada yada...

post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
If you read the specs, Dupont also contains moly, nothing personal, and it has been repeated many times on this forum, WD-40, doesn't contain anything that will reduce wear or friction. My sprockets and chain are at 16000 original KM and no sign of wear, all those KM I have used Dupont multi-purpose or chain saver.
My son used probably 12 different lubes, and they are stored in the same place as the Dupont, they haven't been touched in 4 years. He used these on a mountain bike chain when he belonged to a bike club, switched to Dupont when it first came out, haven't regretted the move, plus it is about half the price of other lubes.

For those WD-40 fans, check out what they have to say about it, they probably don't have a clue what they are talking about on this product

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motor...lubes-2010.htm

Last edited by onewizard; 07-12-2012 at 07:00 PM.
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 08:17 PM

Hey Two.... I use WD40 to clean, and a bit of MOTUL lube afterwards. So far so good
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 08:40 PM

Garage
I simply cannot ignore people who say that their chains last a long time using only WD-40 (which is not a lubricant, I know).

I now use the DuPont stuff.

The issues I had with using 90-weight gear oil was all of the dirt on the chain and the swingarm. My chain and sprockets lasted about 18000 miles. I do not know if that is good or bad. To me, it does not seem too bad.

At this point I would just use what does not cause a lot of dirt to accumulate on the chain and swingarm. When I run out of the case of the DuPont stuff I bought online, I will likely just go to WD-40.
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 09:04 PM

Bel-Ray super clean.

'09 Versys
'07 DRZ400SM
Past
'93 KX250
'82 IT175
'79 KE90
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 09:42 PM

Don't know if WD 40 is good or bad for your chain but it does have a lubricant in it. 15+% mineral oil (light lubricating oil) I'm quoting wikpedia.
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 12:55 AM

I've used ATF and 80W90 gear oil so far. Didn't quite like the gel type lube from Sikolene. ATF was used like a Scott Oiler system, but this oil doesn't stay on very long and washes off too easily when it rains. A continuous feed is required for consistent lube.

Gear oil OTOH is sticky and stays on a lot longer but also attracts dirt. I put some gear oil on my recent oil on the chain on my last 400km of travel, went through heavy rain, and when I check the chain, the oil is still present, and the chain did not stretch that much. Compared to another trip of 600km where at each stop, I put in ATF, and when through rain, the chain was very stretched when I reached home. It was pretty loose, and was knocking against the stock muffler, and vibes were higher. Chain was dry and some of the side panels were showing rust.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 06:13 AM

Yep, I use WD40 and get good mileage from chains and sprockets.
I figure 20k miles the way I ride is great. I bet you guys that lube claim to get 40k miles or more.

I just love those who absolutely are sure about how bad it is and how it has no benefit.
I feel the same way about your nasty lubes you use.

And I use Rotela oil instead of $12 a quart special jimmy motorcycle oil.

If you don't mind a little cleaning use any lube you want.
Alot of people are using the Dupont or other with Teflon or something in it.

I just happen to like WD40.

MotoEd
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
I figure 20k miles the way I ride is great. I bet you guys that lube claim to get 40k miles or more.

I just love those who absolutely are sure about how bad it is and how it has no benefit.
I feel the same way about your nasty lubes you use.

And I use Rotela oil instead of $12 a quart special jimmy motorcycle oil.

If you don't mind a little cleaning use any lube you want.
Alot of people are using the Dupont or other with Teflon or something in it.

I just happen to like WD40.
Jose, I'm with you mate. I now use nothing but WD-40, but do pay close visual attention to the chain's condition.
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 09:42 AM

I use PJ1 Blue Label Chain Lube,

It solidifies slightly and clings nicely to the chain.

Great stuff less than $8
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...hain-Lube.aspx
post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mursili View Post
I simply cannot ignore people who say that their chains last a long time using only WD-40 (which is not a lubricant, I know).

I now use the DuPont stuff.

The issues I had with using 90-weight gear oil was all of the dirt on the chain and the swingarm. My chain and sprockets lasted about 18000 miles. I do not know if that is good or bad. To me, it does not seem too bad.

At this point I would just use what does not cause a lot of dirt to accumulate on the chain and swingarm. When I run out of the case of the DuPont stuff I bought online, I will likely just go to WD-40.
You'll LOVE it! 54,000 kms on OEM KLR chain; 37,000 miles on 2008 OEM V chain (STILL on!); and 18,000 kms on my '09 chain.

NOTHING but WD40 and a wipe-down after, and I do it after ANY longer ride of 50 miles or so when I get home, but on a LONG ride I'll respray sooner in rain, but at least once when I pull in to camp while the chain's still hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebyrds View Post
Don't know if WD 40 is good or bad for your chain but it does have a lubricant in it. 15+% mineral oil (light lubricating oil) I'm quoting wikpedia.
BTW - buy your WD40 in the gallon size: cheaper, and higher % of the lube, LESS carrier than in the spray bombs!

Quote:

I feel the same way about your nasty lubes you use....I just happen to like WD40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedseven50 View Post
Jose, I'm with you mate. I now use nothing but WD-40, but do pay close visual attention to the chain's condition.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 07:01 AM

I use WD 40 for cleaning and Castrol chain wax for lubrication, works really good.
post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 08:44 AM

Dupont Fyi please read

For those of you who do not already know. The Dupont in the blue can has changed formula, it is not the same.I am a long time user and yes there is a difference.Dupont has the old formula in a yellow label can, marked as chain lube SAME PRICE. You can buy it at any Walmart which has the section in automotive for cycles and atv 's.This is usally the larger stores or supercenters.I would also do an online search for it, starting with Duponts multilune website. The new stuff is darker and flings a bit the chain lube doesn't fling and is light colored.

AMA EAA STN
post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 11:43 AM

Belray superclean for street & dualsport. Expensive but sticks well & sheds dirt relatively well.

Tried the wd40 thing back in 03 for dualsporting after reading of a dakar team using it. Seemed to work well & was good for keeping the chain clean but found myself having to apply way more often than regular chain lube/wax.

Black 2012 Versys-Sold!
Blue WR250R
Green Bolens
Black GSX-S750
post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 12:28 PM

yup. i have seen people use wd40 to clean their chain. they dont lube their chain, just keep it clean using wd 40. this is for dirtbikes, where you dont want dirt to cling to the chain. many lubes attract dirt, except for the dupont stuff, which is now changing....CRAP!
for my xcw, i usually clean the chain with wd40 and then lube with the dupont stuff.

ditto for my versys, but i dont clean as often.i dont know what to use when the dupont stuff runs out...

Last edited by RickySpanish; 08-21-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
chain lube

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode