Rolling (Chain) Noise... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rolling (Chain) Noise...

This is the first bike I have owned. I've ridden friends bikes a few times over the years. All that being said I hear a lot of chain noise from my new 11V. I'm not sure if this really is "a lot" of noise, or if it just normal for the V. My wife says it sounds like a piece of paper caught somewhere rubbing.

I've done a visual inspection looking for anything and it's all clean and clear. The chain is the proper tension and it has been lubricated twice already (only 400 miles on it). I recently had the rear sprocket changed to a 43T and it has not affected the amount of noise.

When I have helmet and ear plugs in it is not loud enough to hear above 15mph. I really only notice it in parking lots or traveling through my subdivision.

Am I just being paranoid and all of this is normal?

Thanks.

Last edited by Zatx; 07-11-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 09:08 AM

With a good alignment the chain and sprockets will bind less. I find the marks on the rear are useless for alignment. Also chain slack should be set to around 3cm (between 2.5 and 3.5cm) according to the owners manual. Too tight and it is hard on the sprockets and bearings, too loose and it flogs the chain. Also check the chain is well lubed. If you have much wear on the sprockets with a 2011 bike it could be the chain is set incorrectly and has caused premature wear.

Last edited by Sprocket; 07-11-2012 at 09:17 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 10:27 AM
GDI

My guess is that it's probably normal. Chains just plain make a lot of noise!

If you're riding next to a hard surface or something else that can bounce the sound of the chain back at you, it can be especially noticeable.

GDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode