Lost 5th gear - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Lost 5th gear

I noticed my oil looked a little low two days ago. I added less than 1/2 a quart to bring it up to the full line with the bike sitting level. Yesterday on the way to work, I lost 5th gear. Shifting up from 4th or down from 6th had the same affect. 5th gear is the same as neutral. My question is, If I over filled it slightly could that cause the transmission to not go into 5th gear. I have 46,000 miles on my 08 Versys and have used synthetic sport bike 10w40 at every oil change. Last night I changed the oil and filter. We will see if it works any better. If not, I'm upgrading to a Ninja 1000 with hard bags.

To God be the glory.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 06:48 AM

Bro what's going on, has it changed?
Sounds like you may get a new bike.

MotoEd
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 07:24 AM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 03:09 PM.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Bent shift fork, not caused by oil overfill.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

The other gears shift as usual. Sometimes I can get it to go in to 5th if I shift up and down quickly. What does a bent shift fork repair involve?

To God be the glory.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 12:38 AM

No 5th gear?

I'm a retired (forceibly,heart attack) ex pro bike mechanic. One of the many selling points of this engine design was that it has a cassette style tranmission. E.A. the entire trans can be pulled out with the engine IN the frame. Pulled mine (09) just before the warranty ran out to remove the nuisance positive neutral finder (3 steel ball bearings) and to inspect. Total hrs ~ 3. You'll likely need 2 gears, 1 shift fork, and maybe a shift drum. Est. $300.00 parts. Could be that a circlip has simply come ajar?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 03:57 AM

Blame i nsomnia, researched your 5th gear problem. The most likely cause for your sudden and intermittent loss of 5th gear is that the input shift fork rod has broken or come adrift. This rod is held in place by the oil pump chain guide, the fixing bolts may have come loose. If so, maybe fixable by simply removing the clutch cover & clutch assy/oil pump gear and reaffixing. CAUTION !!! if this rod drops into the tranmission gears or backs into the clutch assy if could cause a rear wheel lock-up. Advise you to decist operation and get this ck'd immediately
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 07:24 AM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 03:06 PM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Now my concern is finding a competent motorcycle mechanic in my area. When I had my valves adjusted, the guy was a slob. He left oil on the engine case, fingerprints all over the bike and I was missing 3 screws. They were the largest bike shop in my area. I'll start the hunt at lunch today.

To God be the glory.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 09:36 AM

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Yes, it was Extreme Powersports. There the largest in the area and they know it. Im going to Adams Motorsports tomorrow to look at a Ninja 1000. The price looks good.

To God be the glory.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 12:48 AM

What are your plans for the Versys? Red or Black? Are you going to trade or you consider selling as is. My Blue 09 is a keeper and I my need spare parts. Heck I need both upper cowlings & a swingarm now. Looking to marry some parts. Just curious, what shape are your front rotors in at 46K? Mine are on or slightly below the wear limit at 38K
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

I'm keeping the bike. I found what is hopefully a good bike shop. Depending on what parts are going to cost, I may have them service the clutch and forks while they have it.

To God be the glory.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Ok, Time for an update. THe shift drum lost one of the ribs that shift it into 5th gear. Could have been a casting defect. Easy fix for this shop. Total repair will be $450.00. Because I was thinking closer to $600.00 I asked him to replace the clutch friction disks as well. That brings the repair up to $600.00. It would be cool if I can get another 40K out of it.

To God be the glory.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badwolf View Post
Ok, Time for an update. THe shift drum lost one of the ribs that shift it into 5th gear. Could have been a casting defect. Easy fix for this shop. Total repair will be $450.00. Because I was thinking closer to $600.00 I asked him to replace the clutch friction disks as well. That brings the repair up to $600.00. It would be cool if I can get another 40K out of it.
Sounds like a great fix! I would have been worried about a lockup as posted earlier. That could have been bad.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 08:50 PM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:50 PM.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 08:38 AM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badwolf View Post
Good job and thanks for posting! Many of us are reading and learning! Hope you get your extra 40K!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Cothron View Post
I'm a retired (forceibly,heart attack) ex pro bike mechanic. One of the many selling points of this engine design was that it has a cassette style tranmission. E.A. the entire trans can be pulled out with the engine IN the frame. Pulled mine (09) just before the warranty ran out to remove the nuisance positive neutral finder (3 steel ball bearings) and to inspect. Total hrs ~ 3. You'll likely need 2 gears, 1 shift fork, and maybe a shift drum. Est. $300.00 parts. Could be that a circlip has simply come ajar?
Tell me more, I could care less about the positive neutral finder and if it shifts smoother, I am going to do the same
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-k View Post
Tell me more, I could care less about the positive neutral finder and if it shifts smoother, I am going to do the same
Jim-K. 1st do you have the factory service manual? Although because of the Versys design this is not a long laborious deal, it is pretty deep for a layman. Details of the clutch removal are in chapter 6. Further details of the tranmission removal begin in 9-31. These instructions must be followed to the letter especially in regards to lining up the "oil holes" from removed gears or bushings. The neutral finder operation is explained on page 9-40. It is located under 5th gear on the output shaft, (which is the second gear inboard from the RH side). Takes a little patience joguling this gear with the output shaft held vertical(1st gear removed), but when this gear slides off the shaft there are 3 5/32" (.156) steel balls inside this gear. reassemble without these balls and you have voided the neutral finder.
I originally did this to A: inspect the trans before the warranty expired as I had missed the shift to 6th gear several times and B: I'm a very lightweight rider (137#s) and I routinely start from 2nd gear. Yes, I do feel it shifts better, then again use (I'm now at 38,800) has helped also. This trans design has many involute splines rather than the few square edged ones that were in use in the old days (stronger in my opinion, I believe this trans could handle 3X the power it must deal with) but the design does add friction to shifts until warn in.
I've since made customs rearsets resulting in a similar footpeg position as the 650R and did away with the linkage. Better shifting still. I've found that at least in my example the shift shaft OD is too loose a fit in the support needle bearing on the left side. In time I'm going to weld the OD up and turn it back down for a precision fit.
Anyone willing to bring their ride to North Central TN, I'll perform this mod (neutral finder removal and trans inspection) for $180.00 and necessary parts, if any. I only needed oil and filter, broke no gaskets. Only the clutch cover and shift shaft cover gaskets are disturbed anyway. Takes about 3 to 4 hours with a cool engine if damage is found.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 10:03 AM

Cool... You mean if damage is "not" found?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode