DID prof chain kit rubberized front sprocket ? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
DID prof chain kit rubberized front sprocket ?

Hi guys

My V is now 30k km and time to change the front and rear sprockets as well as the chain. The fitted front sprocket was already swapped in first few kms for a zx-7 16 tooth rubberized / teflon front sprocket (kawasaki part no. 13144-0038)

Ordered a classical DID chain kit and sprockets, the cheapest one (professional line I guess thats what they call it) at
http://www.ubricarmotos.com/index.ph...oducts_id=5551
but asked for a 16 tooth front instead of the 15 tooth that normally comes in the kit

Id like to ask this before it arrives so I can order additionally a spare 16 OEM front (the part no one) if I need to

Because I cannot know this from photos neither on the DID chain site does anyone know if the front sprocket in these DID kits is side rubberized / teflonized just like the kawa one to allow a lower rolling noise ?

thks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
It'll be a solid steel countershaft (front) sprocket without the rubber damper as shown in their photo. You'll see which model of DID chain, if the rear sprocket is steel, and possibly which brand(s) of sprockets they are when you receive it.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

hi there invader howre u these days

ye well better to be on the safe side and order an original kawa front sprocket so the two can be mounted same time as they arrive, its a cheapie part anyways

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 09:03 AM

The OEM Versys front sprocket is solid steel.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
The OEM Versys front sprocket is solid steel.
... with rubber damper.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 09:21 PM

Original Kawasaki 15T steel front sprocket with rubber damper n after market Afam 15T steel front sprocket without damper.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Question, I am replacing my front sprocket. Does the rubber damper make any difference?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 04:27 AM

Yes it does. It's quieter, lasts longer, and is easier on the chain.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 09:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Yes it does. It's quieter, lasts longer, and is easier on the chain.
I am curious about this claim. After I installed my new, non-damped front sprocket I did notice more noise (which I attributed to the sprocket), but I do not notice it 3000+ miles into using it. It could just be that I am completely used to it and the buzz from the panel is louder than the sprocket...

What information exists about lifetime and "ease on the chain"?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 09:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by myred View Post
Original Kawasaki 15T steel front sprocket with rubber damper n after market Afam 15T steel front sprocket without damper.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
OK, so after reading this thread I returned my aftermarket front sprocket and bought a OEM Kawasaki sprocket, the one pictured above at twice the price to get the damper. Opened the parts bag when I got home. Guess what? There is no rubber damper on the OEM sprocket. Called the dealer back to see if they changed the part, Parts guy said he has been there for years and never heard of a rubber damper on a front sprocket - the damper is always in the hub of the rear wheel. What looks like it could be a rubber damper in the photo above is simply part of the cast shape of the sprocket.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 10:24 AM

twowheels,

there are two rubber rings sandwiching the steel sprocket.
and no, it is not the cast shape of the product.
perhaps what you purchased is an original Kawasaki front sprocket but not an original Kawasaki Versys front sprocket.

will get another pix of this sprocket n post it.

+++++++++
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
myred is correct. FWIW - my OEM sprocket had the rubber, but the replacement didn't. I've had NO issues running without the "rubber", and my 'standby' 15T for the Green Hornet is rubberless too.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 12:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
The OEM front sprocket in the picture is one piece of sold cast metal.

My '08 certainly came with the front sprocket shown on the left of the picture near the top of this thread. That sprocket had a rubber damper. It is the thicker of the two sprockets due to the rubber.

I am now confused. Are people ordering Kawasaki front sprockets and receiving non-rubberized ones?
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 02:36 PM

Garage
Now I feel stupid, I re-examined this and there is a damper band of very hard rubber, just not were I checked for it. In my weak defense the tacky grease coating Kawasaki puts on their new parts makes all surfaces look and feel the same even under close examine. The only way I could not tell it was not steel was by digging my thumb nail into it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sprocket.jpg (23.9 KB, 2938 views)

Last edited by twowheels; 07-15-2012 at 02:38 PM.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 03:07 PM

All the rubber is for is to cut down noise a bit. My KLR has that same thing and I've had 4 different front sprockets on it and there is no difference other than a bit of noise...and a LOT of change! Now gearing it different but I was changing gearing for how I was riding the bike.

I wore out the factory (15t) and a Star (16t). They have all lasted about the same time, the other are a 14t and a 17t that I use for all offroad or hi-way (with the V in the house I won't be using it much!).

On changing tooth count on the Versys, where do I get a VSS that's adjustable so I can get the speedometer to read right? It's not a problem on the KLR as the speedo drive is on the front wheel.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Speedometer / odometer are driven by a pulse pickup at your front sprocket, I have a 16 tooth and speedometer is bang on according to my GPS. Obviously my odometer reads under by about 6%, I use my GPS for checking mileage.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 08:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Now I feel stupid, I re-examined this and there is a damper band of very hard rubber, just not were I checked for it.
Don't feel too bad. I knew that the Versys had a rubber damped front sprocket, but that was not obvious inspecting it. When I compared to my new (un-damped) sprocket did I notice the difference.

This is another reason that I do much of my own work. At least after the first time replacing things I may have some idea what I am talking about.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 08:45 AM

There is a thickness difference between the OEM and the replacement one.
Which also means rear wheel alignment is more important because of the front sprocket thickness.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 10:00 PM

Original Kawasaki Versys 15T front sprocket with rubber damper.

+++++++++++++++++++
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 11:20 AM

where are you guys finding the OEM front 15t sprocket? I looked at 5 different supplies and none of their OEM lists seemed to have it and they all have the aftermarkets

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode