Cooling fan dead - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cooling fan dead

Just a note to you folks who trail it a bit, After running mine in some mucky ,gravelly roads, I noticed my cooling fan had a pile o crap jammed around it. Cleaned it out and thought nothing of it, till I got caught in some construction traffic on the way home. Temp light on, no fan. After I got home I made sure it turned freely,checked the fuse, then unhooked the plug at the fan , ran two leads direct from the battery ( Kawasaki service manual procedure) and discovered the motor was toast. BTW the fuse (OEM) was good. So lesson learned ,watch the shroud for buildup of crap as this was from 1 ride. The only other reason would be it was a crap fan from the factory that died after 25K ( I have in all my years never had one go bad on any machine I have owned)i am currently waiting for the parts, oh and you need to remove the rad to get the fan out, the service manual wasn't kidding about that.

AMA EAA STN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 08:23 PM

Had that happen to me, just a small road rock chip wedged the fan and burned it out. If you don't have a FENDA EXTENDA (here: http://shop.fendaextenda.com/category.sc?categoryId=4 ), you might consider adding one. Fan replacement is simple, but frigging expensive for the part, unless you can find a used one on ebay or make something else work.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
Had that happen to me, just a small road rock chip wedged the fan and burned it out. If you don't have a FENDA EXTENDA (here: http://shop.fendaextenda.com/category.sc?categoryId=4 ), you might consider adding one. Fan replacement is simple, but frigging expensive for the part, unless you can find a used one on ebay or make something else work.
Thanks for the link, question how does that attach to the fender? . It looks like it would eliminate a few problems

AMA EAA STN

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddjack View Post
Thanks for the link, question how does that attach to the fender? . It looks like it would eliminate a few problems
It comes with 3m adhesive strips and some self tapping screws. As I don't trust adhesive strips, and didn't want screws anywhere near my tires I opted to rough up the surfaces a bit using a wire brush and then used something similar to http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/epx...tic-Bonder.htm and some clamps to join them. Left it clamped overnight (don't try to be lazy like I did at first- take off the fender first- easy to do) and have since enjoyed the piece of mind of knowing I won't kill my fan (that way, at least).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat12 View Post
It comes with 3m adhesive strips and some self tapping screws. As I don't trust adhesive strips, and didn't want screws anywhere near my tires I opted to rough up the surfaces a bit using a wire brush and then used something similar to http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/epx...tic-Bonder.htm and some clamps to join them. Left it clamped overnight (don't try to be lazy like I did at first- take off the fender first- easy to do) and have since enjoyed the piece of mind of knowing I won't kill my fan (that way, at least).
Thanks. I've had this on my to do list for some time but now it looks like with your easy instructions I've run out of excuses. Used the Loctite stuff b/4 and it works well.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 08:01 PM

I used the adhesive strips and then put four aluminum pop rivits in it, then blackened them out to match. The rivits match the semi-naked/industrial look of the V. Not like marring a Duc...heh!

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat12 View Post
Thanks excellent info

AMA EAA STN
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 02:00 AM

I've used 3M adhesive tape and this tape does not fail. I had a DIY fender extender made out of a 1L/1 Quart oil bottle and use the 3M tape to adhere to the fender. So far, after 5 months, plenty of rain riding, the tape still holds.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2daMax View Post
I've used 3M adhesive tape and this tape does not fail. I had a DIY fender extender made out of a 1L/1 Quart oil bottle and use the 3M tape to adhere to the fender. So far, after 5 months, plenty of rain riding, the tape still holds.
Thats a great idea!!

AMA EAA STN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode