Rear light...Running Light=Yes... Brake Light=NO! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rear light...Running Light=Yes... Brake Light=NO!

So for today I had a nice two hour ride in the hills of Brown County Indiana. I drove an hour out and took my Motorcycle Endorsement driving test (I PASSED! ) and an hour back.

When I arrived to take my test I found that my brake light was not functioning. The running light is working, but it does not brighten when either the front or rear brake is activated.

I pulled the seat off and checked the tail light fuse and it was good. I then checked for any loose connections that could be found under the seat, but didn't find any loose.

Help me out. Where should I be looking next?

This is a brand new 2011V that I have put all the miles on (less than 300). No modifications have been made to the wiring, brakes, or any other electrical functions. I did install Speedy's peg lowering kit, but I did not move the rear brake lever at all.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
First I assume it is under warranty, no brake light with either front or rear brake activated? With bike off, listen when you apply front brake, you should hear a clicking, from the front brake switch, the rear brake has a quick connect and to the switch and it is possible to have been forgotten to be attached.
Remember, this is a safety issue, the dealer is responsible for, you shouldn't really be doing anything other than call the dealer and give them sh-------------t.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Yeah.. I won't dig into it too far, but if it's something easy it beats me trying to find a way to get my bike to the dealer that is an hour away, and find a ride home, and back to the dealer, etc. etc. etc.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Well disregard my question. I downloaded the Service Manual, found where all the switches, plugs, and wires were. I then disconnected and reconnected them all as well as removed each fuse (one at a time) and reseated them.

Tried the brakes, and now they work! I must have had a loose connection somewhere, but it sure wasn't obvious when I disconnected each one. All connections felt secure before I disconnected them. Go figure.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 11:49 AM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 03:13 PM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Yep AZ. I completely agree. Not knowing for sure what caused the problem I don't know if or when it will occur again. I will definetely be monitoring it closely.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 01:10 PM

You are under warranty. This is the dealers problem. Take it back and have them deal with it.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
Zatx, be sure you monitor this. Like every time before you ride the bike and even stopping during some of the rides!

...Gonna say again guys, if you're brake lights aren't working, it really puts us in a precarious situation.

rant off
On EVERY ride I check my head lights and brake lights. When I can see my reflection on the rear of the car ahead at a traffic light, I cycle Hi and Lo beams. When something is behind me, where I can see my tail-light reflected in his bumper or lights, I pull on the brakes and check my mirrors for the "flash". Easy to do once you get into the habit.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 01:44 PM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 03:13 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 03:03 PM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
On EVERY ride I check my head lights and brake lights. When I can see my reflection on the rear of the car ahead at a traffic light, I cycle Hi and Lo beams. When something is behind me, where I can see my tail-light reflected in his bumper or lights, I pull on the brakes and check my mirrors for the "flash". Easy to do once you get into the habit.
+1 Thats why they give you that seperate saftey manual that we all threw away! Ha! Ha! But of course we kept the service manual!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
On EVERY ride I check my head lights and brake lights.
Me too!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 11:34 AM

I just discovered this same problem. New '12 V at 1600 miles. Any hints for someone who doesn't want to pull every wire and doesn't have time to ride to the dealer (with no brake lights)? A little disappointed with the supposedly rock solid reliability of this bike.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

Paul D
SF, CA

'12 Versys (yellow)

Previous bikes:
'04 DL1000
'02 KLR650
'01 Ducati M750
'79 Yamaha XS650
'78 Yamaha XS650
Twins rule!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDSF View Post
I just discovered this same problem. New '12 V at 1600 miles. Any hints for someone who doesn't want to pull every wire and doesn't have time to ride to the dealer (with no brake lights)? A little disappointed with the supposedly rock solid reliability of this bike.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Still worth your while to go thru all the connectors, because ya never know, a connection to something else might be loose too. Doesn't really have anything to do with the reliability of the bike - the dealer should have gone thru it during prep. As others have said, if you want horror stories, check out the complaints about other bikes on other forums. I followed one of a guy stranded in S America on a xMW - frigging nightmare of poor design, poor service, and poor parts stocking and delivery. Our bikes are relatively simple to maintain, with only a few known gotchas, and parts are pretty easy to get.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

It took 5 minutes to disconnect and reconnect everything.

My brake light hasn't failed in anyway since.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
It took 5 minutes to disconnect and reconnect everything.

My brake light hasn't failed in anyway since.
It may have taken you five minutes. It will take me a lot longer. I have no idea how those things are routed or where the connectors are. Electrics are not my specialty But I will try, after my work deadline passes (Monday) and after I return from the vacation that follows. The bike will have to sit in the meantime.

Paul D
SF, CA

'12 Versys (yellow)

Previous bikes:
'04 DL1000
'02 KLR650
'01 Ducati M750
'79 Yamaha XS650
'78 Yamaha XS650
Twins rule!
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

No really. I know nothing about this either. The connections I pulled apart and reattached were just the stuff right under the seat. Anything with a plug I unplugged.. then plugged back in. It wasn't more complicated than that.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 02:27 AM

Noticed your join date as June 2012? You must be a very busy guy with less 300 miles on your new ride? I had the same problem with my 09 about 2 yrs ago. Don't know about your year model, but on the 09 the main isolated electrical ground point is RH of the stamped frame crossmember (under the seat) behind the tool kit storage. Mine wasn't clean ( paint overspray) Removed the 1 6mm bolt, 10mm head and scraped area to bare metal and also the brass grounding strap. I've had no further problem of this nature in over 2 yrs. This could explain why your connections "felt" OK?

Lean/Two
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
No really. I know nothing about this either. The connections I pulled apart and reattached were just the stuff right under the seat. Anything with a plug I unplugged.. then plugged back in. It wasn't more complicated than that.
Gotcha. I'll check it out. Thanks Zatx.

Paul D
SF, CA

'12 Versys (yellow)

Previous bikes:
'04 DL1000
'02 KLR650
'01 Ducati M750
'79 Yamaha XS650
'78 Yamaha XS650
Twins rule!
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 12:20 AM

OK, I did that...didn't work. So the bike is going in to the dealer tomorrow with the GF following behind in the cage (loaded down with camping stuff). Some start to our vacation. Plus, when I finished replugging everything together, the bike wouldn't start. I had to unplug and replug a second time just to get it to start. Geez. A couple of those connectors (the small ones) are a bitch to separate. I almost wish others were having this problem so that they could post a solution Haha. Seriously, there has to be a particular connection that is at fault.

Paul D
SF, CA

'12 Versys (yellow)

Previous bikes:
'04 DL1000
'02 KLR650
'01 Ducati M750
'79 Yamaha XS650
'78 Yamaha XS650
Twins rule!
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 09:23 PM

Be careful when installing Speedy's lower pegs in that it does mess with the rear brake setup ( and sensor ). I had the OPPOSITE problem in that my brake light was always ON because the spring was engaging the switch for the rear brakes. Make sure that the switch and spring are adjusted so that it correctly activates the brake light and doesn't have it on all the time. That's just as bad as not having it all

Toys : 2009 Versys ( Blue ), 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Needs : 2016 Mazda CX-5 ( RIP Mazda5 ), 2007 Honda Civic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode