ECU and fan not working - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
ECU and fan not working

Hi all,
lomg time no speak. I am wondering if one of you guys can help me out?

Around 2 weeks agpo the fuel injection light came on and stayed on. It didnt appear to affect perfromance and so instead of going straight to the garage and leaving myself without transport I kept using her.

A few days ago, I was riding for only about 25 minutes, but slow riding and in hot weather. As I came to park the engine began to make a very strange growling/screaming noise. I cut the engine immediately but the noise continued and got louder before subsiding. A new noise could then be heard. It was like a popping / boiling noise coming from inside the bike.

It eventually stopped, I left the bike for a few hours and rode it home, no more noised or boiling. I used it the next day, the same, no noises.

I dont know whether the noise and the FI light are related.

I took it to the mechanics anyway, a bit scared and a service was due (maybe slightly overdue).

He says that it is the fan, it wasnt working. Trouble is he cant at the moment, find what is causing it to not work, and says if he doesnt find any relay not working it could be the ECU!

Now we are looking at 100s of euros worth of work for a fan. He says over 400 euros worth, for the ECU alone.

Could this be the case? In which case is the follwing link what he is talking about?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KAWASAKI-K...item1c1606985d

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 06:32 AM

If the service code is no 56, it's the fan relay.

also

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Can you tell me Stlee, how long it would take to work this out and find he correct relay and replace it? The mechanic reckons he had to strip the whole bike out and go cable by cable - could this be true? For what he is trying to charge me I need to know asap!

cheers

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 08:59 AM

Would say the 1st step is checking if the fan motor itself is defective.
This is shown to test in the picture shown attached earlier.

2nd is to see all the electrical connections are snugly fitted.

3rd. The fan relay is in the relay box. In the 2011V service manual, have a look at sections 16-62, 16-79, 16-80, 3-15, 3-69 and 3-70.
There is a method to check if the relay is not working as in the service manual.

Thanks.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Last edited by stlee29; 07-06-2012 at 09:02 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 09:10 AM

I read in the service manual how to test the thermostat switch (submerging in hot water basically) but am curious if anyone has ever tried to test a V thermostat switch by putting a jumper wire across the thermostat switch to see if the fan comes on. Just wondering if that would work. I only remember my fan coming on once or twice.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 10:28 AM

It's 105f here. My fan comes on all the time.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 02:31 PM

I got stuck in a traffic jam today and I noticed that the fan came on. My fan is fairly quiet so I guess it's been coming on as needed.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
If Needed.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...+fan&_osacat=0

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...r+fan&_sacat=0

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all, not sure what went wrong but its fixed with no new parts either, the magic of mechanics!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 01:21 AM

Hi there Spainy... I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier but check the Junction Box relay first! it is sited under the centre of the main frame where the front of the seat slides in... the bracket where it bolts the tank down... it is under the main frame - it has 3 large plugs going into it - very east to remove. This junction relay box is the main relay for the ECU - Fan - headlight (which I just found out about if you read my Blog on Stators etc and just today's too re: Headlight Voltage reading) Fuel pump and Starter.... I'd check that first befroe you pull apart any wiring loom! if you have the Versys Maunal either off the net or the book - it's Electrical System 16 - 85 - I hope this help....

all the best - Andreas
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Andreas, good to know for the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode