• 2 Post By Doug Just Doug
  • 1 Post By wampuspacker
  • 1 Post By TowerMan
  • 3 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Simple seat riser mod?

Okay after spending an hour searching the forum with no luck, I will just have to ask my question.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the simple seat mod that raises up the front of the seat where the seat pivots into place?

I see this mod referred to a lot, but no one explains what it is or how it's done.

I know this isn't an ideal fix, it just needs to work for a couple of weeks until my SC seat is done.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 01:52 AM

There are a couple ways to do it. One uses washers on the forward bracket to push the front up. Another uses foam strips stuffed into the holes on the seat pan in the forward part of the seat. The washers mod would probably be your best bet as it is more easily reversible for after your SC is done.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 11:53 PM

here's how I did mine.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 11:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Soild View Post
here's how I did mine.

Clean !!!

LOP
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

A picture is great, but how do you do that? Even if I just used washers I still need a piece of metal on the bottom. What is used?

Thanks.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
A picture is great, but how do you do that? Even if I just used washers I still need a piece of metal on the bottom. What is used?

Thanks.
What I used was a piece of aluminum scrap that I had tossed in my box of "this might come in handy someday" metal scrap. I save bits of aluminum off of anything headed for the trash bin. I love aluminium cuz it's light and mostly cuz it is easy to drill and file.

If you havent' started a scrap crap collection, you might have to go to Home Depot or Harbor Freight and buy a piece of sheet aluminium to hack up for little projects.

Get a hacksaw, vise, drill, file, pipe cutter and go to improvisin'
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnakers0708 View Post
How do I order the riser for my 2017 650?
Here's what I did.

Go here to download the file for free: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1775953.

Then go here to upload the file and have the riser printed: https://www.makexyz.com/

Specify the following on the makexyz website:

Process: FDM
Material: ABS
Color: Green (or whatever color you want)
Infill: 50% (the default is a lower % which may not be strong enough)
Layer height: 0.2mm

Then wait for it to arrive. This was my first foray into 3D printing and it was very easy and inexpensive. The two websites listed above are very intuitive to use, no expertise required.

For installation, I used stainless M6 x 40mm hex-head bolts and M6 flat washers (you can also use flange-head bolts, which would eliminate the need for the washers.) I think 40mm is the minimum bolt length you can get away with; others have used 45mm or 50mm. Took less than five minutes to swap out the risers.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 04:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hi,
If there is still an interest in 3D printed riser blocks, I made my own which provides the support at original locations of the seat, but adding 12mm height.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4089614

Cheers,
Alpy
Doug Just Doug likes this.

V650/2015
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
I've been posting THIS mod for years, since I first read about it back in '08. Co$t$ about $2 to do - a piece of scrap steel w/ two 1/4" holes in it, 12 = 1/4" washers, and two 6mm x 45mm bolts. Here's pics:

DSC00059A by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

DSC00060 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

DSC09373 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Raises the front of the seat about 3/4" on mine.

seat rise1 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

EASY and CHEAP! And has been in place on my three separate V650s for OVER 155,000 miles among them, and about 90,000 miles on my '08!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 02-03-2020 at 03:07 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Just Need to Know Where to Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpy View Post
Hi,
If there is still an interest in 3D printed riser blocks, I made my own which provides the support at original locations of the seat, but adding 12mm height.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4089614

Cheers,
Alpy
Note post #7, copied from the original Former Rawkstar320 Seat Lift Mod

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
With my design my intention was to keep the original supporting areas and avoid transferring the force to the plastic lever of the seat. So far this is the only benefit using my solution.
The flaw(s) of Rawkstar320 are described here:
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...673-aware.html

V650/2015
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpy View Post
With my design my intention was to keep the original supporting areas and avoid transferring the force to the plastic lever of the seat. So far this is the only benefit using my solution.
The flaw(s) of Rawkstar320 are described here:
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...673-aware.html
I haven't had an issue with the 3D printed block I'm currently using or my Sargent seat, which has a metal pan and tang instead of plastic, but I think I may try your trick anyway -- seems like a more secure solution. If I do I'll report back.
onewizard and alpy like this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 10:31 PM

I did this mod last week very easy ,next to nothing in cost. Just haven't had good weather to try it out
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 05:47 PM

I did this mod about 1 month ago and just today went for a 100 mile ride. Absolutely no sliding forward. The best improvement that I have done for approximately $4.00 and 15 minutes of my time.
Buffalo_Bob likes this.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 06:31 AM

Be Aware that the Seat Tab could break by doing this !!!!!!!

Be aware that the plastic tongue on the front of the seat is not designed to be load bearing

On the following pictures I have marked up where the seat is supported on the front metal cross brace and what on the seat rests on it.

Whilst raising the seat in this way no one yet I believe has had a tab break, it still could

When I tried this mod it always felt that the seat was wobbling side to side on the twisties here in Scotland

Ended up remodeling the front of the seat / raising the nose from details gained from this website - DIY Motorcycle Seat

Richard
onewizard likes this.

at
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerMan View Post
Be aware that the plastic tongue on the front of the seat is not designed to be load bearing

On the following pictures I have marked up where the seat is supported on the front metal cross brace and what on the seat rests on it.

Whilst raising the seat in this way no one yet I believe has had a tab break, it still could

When I tried this mod it always felt that the seat was wobbling side to side on the twisties here in Scotland

Ended up remodeling the front of the seat / raising the nose from details gained from this website - DIY Motorcycle Seat

Richard
Fully Agree

Early on I tried that mod, made things worse and touching ground / flat footing, impossible. I then modified my seat https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...tions-diy.html

Recently a Corbin came up for sale ( off a MK-2 ), my modded seat is good, but a Corbin would be better. I had one on my 07, unfortunately, when I bought my 2015 I had my Corbin with me in the showroom, since I hadn't bought the bike, and trying the seat on without doing damage, I reluctantly sold the bike with the Corbin, never had time to see why the 07 seat wouldn't fit, side plastic seemed in the way.
So I looked at taking a chance on the MK-2 Corbin, well the cost of shipping to Ontario just blew that out of the water, almost as much as what the seat is going for.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
this is the SAME post I made on another thread, several minutes ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlight View Post
...I know many members have raised the nose of their seat using many forms of a bracket. this creates a gap of about 8.0mm between the seat pan and the silver steel fuel tank bracket in (2) locations. Because the tongue of the pan, although molded with strengthening ribs, was not designed to bear the weight of the rider, I think it's important to install a new form of support for the pan to take the load off the tongue....
I raised the front of the seats on all THREE V650s I bought, and never did anything to address the GAP that you have mentioned. BTW I weigh about 180# w/out ATGATT, so I estimate my weight as 200# w/ it.

My '08 has 89,850 miles on it, and it had the seat raised shortly after buying it in '08. My '09 seat was raised right after I bought it (new), and had 62,790 kms [39,016 miles] when it was written-off for insurance on 20 July '15, while my '15 (replacement for the '09) has 73,013 kms [45,368 miles] w/ its seat raised when I got it home from the dealer on DAY 1.

I can't see any problem UNLESS you weigh a 'helluva LOT more than I do, and MAYBE not even THEN!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode