Uneven handle bars - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Uneven handle bars

I got some replacement handlebars (new) following a low speed crash that bent the right side of the handlebars. The handlebars still seem a little lower on the right, but not positive. I put the bike up on a rear stand and centered the front wheel (by sight) and measured the distance from the top of each side of the handlebar to the ground. The right side was a few mm's lower. I checked to see if the ground was level, it was pretty darn close, not totally perfect, but close enough that I don't expect that to cause a difference in measurement. But just in case, I turned the bike around and measured again, the right side of the handle bar still appeared a few mm's lower than the left. I checked the forks for alignment, and they appear to be properly aligned. I don't notice any pull to one side or the other, and I don't see any signs of stress anywhere on the triple tree or signs that the fork's got knocked out of position within the triple tree.

Any thoughts on what/how to check for level handle bar height? If one of the forks got knocked out of position within the triple tree, could that affect the handlebar height on one side? Should I just take her in to the shop and get her checked out?

Another thing I noticed is that with the motowerks anti-vibe bar riser, there is some very slight movement when I push straight down on either side of the handlebar. I didn't notice this before. I'm pretty sure all the bolts are secure. Is this part of the anti-vibe aspect of the riser or do I need to look a little further into that?

Thanks,
BaileyMan

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyMan View Post

Another thing I noticed is that with the motowerks anti-vibe bar riser, there is some very slight movement when I push straight down on either side of the handlebar. I didn't notice this before. I'm pretty sure all the bolts are secure. Is this part of the anti-vibe aspect of the riser or do I need to look a little further into that?

Thanks,
BaileyMan
Thats Normal....

Right after i got my bike home when i bought it.i always felt the right side of the handle bars was off. Just ignored it. now 2.5 yrs later 1 crash and 1 drop and its still the same.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 06-30-2012 at 08:41 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 01:48 AM

Yeah, my stock bars were a bit off too. Right side felt a bit closer to me and a bit low. Just enough so I could tell it. About three rides and I had forgotten about it.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

I was just looking at my old threads and saw this one and was like what the heck was that thread about???

Yeah, if the handle bars are off, I certainly don't notice it now...

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 10:37 PM

I just got my V a couple of months ago and my right side grip is a little closer than the left one. First few rides I really noticed it and thought I gotta go back and see if they'll deal with this. I had actually totally forgotten about it after a few more rides and this post reminded me of it. I think I'll just let it go now... just went for a 2 day ride and didn't even notice it.

Lovin every minute of it!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Was it ever dropped or in a crash? You can allow the forks to realign themselves in the triple clamps by loosening the lower triple clamp and the axle, and compressing the forks hard a few times with the front brake on. You can usually realign front end by just pushing the handlebars back in desired position with the front of tire against a tree or wall, to relieve the offset twist so that it's back to its neutral and natural position. Retighten triple clamp and axle, then test it out.

Last edited by invader; 05-26-2013 at 11:22 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 12:43 AM

No crash, it was brand new, the bars are just slightly off.

Lovin every minute of it!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
My (NEW) '09 had the bars about 3/4" off center - further out LEFT.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode