Squirreltoe's 15k mile service - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Squirreltoe's 15k mile service

I brought my 09 in for some scheduled maintenance. I dump the oil and filter every 3000 miles but have not done anything else except for tires.
I called the dealership to get a quote on new plugs, valve adjustment, air filter, throttle body sync....they told me $280 plus parts so I thought that was a good value in exchange for my weekend.

I had them install a new air filter...I decided that I would keep the old one so I can clean it up and have a clean one ready to go. I attached a picture of my air filter so you could see what it looked like after 15k miles with no service.

I also attached a pic of my plugs after 15k. I thought these looked great. I don't think they need to be replaced as often as the service manual says.

Anyway, my bike has been running great and I have had no problems. Surprising to me, they said the valves were still within spec and they just made minor adjustments. The throttle bodies did need some adjustment. I have seen my mileage slip a little so I'll hope to see an improvement after these changes. The total bill including new air filter ended up being $340

I will probably get the air filter swapped out sooner next time, but I don't think the other stuff will be checked until 30k or later.

ST
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0298[1].jpg (67.3 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0302[2].jpg (36.9 KB, 111 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing. Maybe your over did your maintenance as the Versys gives no problem at all.Mine has done 30K and just changed plugs and wash filter, nothing else and she is still pretty good with mileage.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 01:05 AM

I just got off the phone with my mechanic. Took it to him with 29,000+ miles, from the factory. Nothing but oil changes, tires, chain and sprockets, and brakes.

ALL valves were tight BUT still in spec.! Not ONE out of spec. #Kawiguy
He said the OEM spark plugs looked new and reinstalled them, and I am cool with that. The bike was starting up immediately, hot or cold. #loveiridium

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 02:06 AM

taking mine in for the 600 mile service this weekend

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 07:35 AM

Thanks for the update Squirrel - It's good info for us with newer V's to have!

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 07:40 AM

Just had mine in for the 7500 mile service. The maint guy was surprised because he didn't have to adjust my valves at all and my air filter was pretty clean.

Had them adjust my idle speed as it was about 200 rpm off of the required 1300.

They put it on the lift at 10am and had it ready by 12pm. First Versys they worked on apparently. I have since put on 1k+ miles in the past week and half.

"Why do I ride?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Thanks for sharing. Maybe your over did your maintenance as the Versys gives no problem at all.Mine has done 30K and just changed plugs and wash filter, nothing else and she is still pretty good with mileage.

No problem! I might have over-done my maintenance but I was still outside of what I was supposed to do according to the service manual. My biggest concern was checking the valves because I have seen several posts where folks were saying that there valves needed adjustment much sooner than I did. Peace of Mind is worth something!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode