Canadian tire oil filter. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Canadian tire oil filter.

I did the search, I looked at all the oil threads I can handle and still didn't come up with this filter. But, as my wife says, I've been wrong before.

Canadian tire has a filter that works on the Versys MotoMaster #MPH6607. It's about $5 and I can't tell the difference between the factory filter, the fram filter and this one. I'm sure the insides are not the same but I change my oil every 3000 klms so this is a significant savings for me.

I'm at almost 65,000 klms with a shim change at 35,000 klms and not a single mechanical issue. Must be doing something right.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 07:50 PM

Garage
I use the (Canadian made) Fram filters from Canadian Tire, and the Can Tire brand oil. Change every 4000kms. All works great. The Canadian Fram plant is shuttered now though, so I may find those hard to come by, thanks for the info on the MotoMaster brand.

Always trust your cape.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 08:44 PM

Me too...I love me my $15 oil changes. 40,000 worry free kms so far.

Honda CBR125R Sold
Kawasaki Ninja 650R Sold
Yamaha Zuma 50 Sold
Kawasaki Ninja250R Sold
Kawasaki Versys Current Bike

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 09:26 PM

Invader provided some information on these filters in this post.

Cheers,
Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Well there you go. I should just search Invaders post's. lol Lets just consider this a bump then. hehe

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
UNTIL I run out of 'em - I'm using up my stock of Walmart ST7317 filters which were around $3 each.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuff View Post
I did the search, I looked at all the oil threads I can handle and still didn't come up with this filter. But, as my wife says, I've been wrong before.

Canadian tire has a filter that works on the Versys MotoMaster #MPH6607. It's about $5 and I can't tell the difference between the factory filter, the fram filter and this one. I'm sure the insides are not the same but I change my oil every 3000 klms so this is a significant savings for me.

I'm at almost 65,000 klms with a shim change at 35,000 klms and not a single mechanical issue. Must be doing something right.
I read somewhere these are made for CT by fram. If you believe some of the litriture put out by filter manufacturers, better filters usually have a valve in them to prevent the collected gunk from seeping back into the oil supply when the engine is shut off.

Last edited by twowheels; 06-27-2012 at 03:38 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 07:33 PM

Canadian Tire oil change

So I am going with the Canadian Tire motomaster oil filter for $5.97 and Canadian Tire Formula One 4 stroke 10W 40 motorcycle oil, $5.97 a liter in my V. I am sick and tired of paying almost $20 for a kawasaki oil filter and $15 a liter for Kawasaki oil. I am hoping for the best. Am I harming my V?

I figured it out!! A good day is when you can't see through your visor or windshield b/c of the bug splatter!!!!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsrob View Post
Am I harming my V?
Probably only in your dealer's opinion because you're not buying his expensive filters and oil. I wonder if the Canadian Tire stuff will work in a Versys that record miles rather and kilometers??

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 08:25 PM

I've had a KLR, a Concours 1000 and now a Versys since 2008. I've consistently used mostly MotoMaster 10w40 motorcycle oil and filters and have never had a problem on over 60,000km. I've tried the synthetics and the high priced stuff, but to be honest it never really made big difference in shifting or performance. Keep and eye on the level, change it often and you' ll never have a problem.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
So I am going with the Canadian Tire motomaster oil filter for $5.97 and Canadian Tire Formula One 4 stroke 10W 40 motorcycle oil, $5.97 a liter in my V. I am sick and tired of paying almost $20 for a kawasaki oil filter and $15 a liter for Kawasaki oil. I am hoping for the best. Am I harming my V?
Nope, I've been using this for my oil changes for 2 years now.

Honda CBR125R Sold
Kawasaki Ninja 650R Sold
Yamaha Zuma 50 Sold
Kawasaki Ninja250R Sold
Kawasaki Versys Current Bike
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
I can get the HiFlo filter from my local dealer for $8-9, so that's what I use. For the oil, I use either the MotoMaster 10w40 motorcycle oil or the Rotella 15w40 dino (if it's on sale). Both are decent oils, and the V seems to like them.

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
In a word - NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Probably only in your dealer's opinion because you're not buying his expensive filters and oil. I wonder if the Canadian Tire stuff will work in a Versys that record miles rather and kilometers??
It MIGHT... but don't forget to do that little thing with your MODE and RESET buttons to change it over to 'klicks', at least for a LITTLE while, so the bike will accept the stuff...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I too have switched to CTC Formula 1 10W40 4 stroke mc oil, and I have also used very spendy oil in the past. Since my income got drastically cut (post 2008) I looked around for a good petroleum- based oil. I know a CTC owner and the gear-head who runs his shop and they told me their house brands are made by Shell. Formula 1 is JASMO certified and that's what mother Kaw. specifies. Good enough for me and cheap enough at $12 + tax per oil change. $50 oil + filter change for a V? Not on my budget.

For general use> commutes and day trips, I change at about 3000 km. 40,000 km on bike. Last valve adjust at 35K. No oil used between changes, V runs fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode